Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

20 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

That's very kind of @beko1987 to offer to collect you from MKC on the Saturday morning. If he does that, I can run you back there on the Sunday evening. Glad that you got the cost of that phantom second breakfast reimbursed by Premier Inn! How odd that it was charged to you in the first place. As they suggest, you can make arrangements for it at the hotel on the day if needed. You could always nip into Costa Coffee and have coffee and some breakfast pastries in there! :-)

ah goody that sounds like a good plan :) 

18 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I can take you to tesco for food if you want? For the price of a premier inn dried food bag you'd buy alot of croissants and fanta...

haha, I appreciate the offer, but am hoping to still get a breakfast at the Inn, as it was actually quite nice :) (at least compared to the microwavables I normally live off of!)

3 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

@Six-cylinder very kind to offer me dibs on the cars, I know I don’t fit in an MGB at all and the Daimler and Metro are also a bit of a squeeze, so if the VdP is off the road I may have to pass on your kind offer and be a passenger to BL day.

How is a Daimler a bit of a squeeze? Are you built like a pro basketball player?

1 minute ago, richardmorris said:

How is a Daimler a bit of a squeeze? Are you built like a pro basketball player?

6ft 5 rugby player build (lardarse) Short legs long torso. A mate of mine had an S2 XJ6 and I struggled to get behind the wheel and my head was cranked against the roof.

24 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

That's very kind of @beko1987 to offer to collect you from MKC on the Saturday morning. If he does that, I can run you back there on the Sunday evening. Glad that you got the cost of that phantom second breakfast reimbursed by Premier Inn! How odd that it was charged to you in the first place. As they suggest, you can make arrangements for it at the hotel on the day if needed. You could always nip into Costa Coffee and have coffee and some breakfast pastries in there! :-)

My parents are currently trying to get a phantom double charge refunded from a hotel stay a couple of weeks ago. Booked for £181 for two nights, this was taken on the Saturday, but they left on Sunday. But a second charge for £191 was made on the Friday they arrived. Only found out on their credit card bill today. 

2 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Loving how in @dollywobbler'dollywobbler's latest video you can see my and SmollestFl searching for his lost Apple headphones that sell out while he was riding the 125, thanks to @Heidel_Kakao finding it!

I did notice he had those in all day.  I'd find them bloody uncomfortable after an hour or two.  Mind you I'm quite old fashioned.  So much so that I can even leave the house without a phone in my pocket.

(I do find it mildly amusing that SmollestFL is bigger than SmollFL, who in turn is taller than actual FL.)

1 minute ago, dozeydustman said:

6ft 5 rugby player build (lardarse) Short legs long torso. A mate of mine had an S2 XJ6 and I struggled to get behind the wheel and my head was cranked against the roof.

You’d probably fit in my x1/9- they’re always said to fit the Italian (gorilla) built! I was fine in the Daimler last year, but I’m only 5,10. Even then the headlining was resting on my head!

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

I did notice he had those in all day.  I'd find them bloody uncomfortable after an hour or two.  Mind you I'm quite old fashioned.  So much so that I can even leave the house without a phone in my pocket.

(I do find it mildly amusing that SmollestFL is bigger than SmollFL, who in turn is taller than actual FL.)

Just watched the vectra/2cv drive video.  Field looked good. One thing I found odd with @Six-cylinders 2cv is that it has the later gearchange angle compared to mine.  I agree the engine is smooth. 

12 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

FoD Open Weekend 12/13 September. 

I see a lot of new names on the forum and this is an open invitation to all Autoshite members new and old. Members gather chat, drive, work on my cars and stuff. You can work on your own stuff or just sit around drinking tea. Come for an hour or come for the weekend, all you have to is pm me for for directions and it is FREE.

27th September is British Leyland Day at Milton Keynes Museum and I am planning to go along. Anybody who wants to camp at the FoD is welcome before and/or after the event.

There is no reason we cannot gather at the FoD with my cars and yours. I am happy to lend out any BL era cars that I am not using so at the FoD open day we can get out MGB GT, Metro and Daimler Sovereign S2. It would be good if we could do legal and levels checks on them. At the moment I only have two BL cars to lend out and as @dozeydustman set this off I will give him first option on one of them.

The Vanden Plas 1500 subframe mounting repairs are going to be assessed this weekend and the gearbox on the Sovereign S1 maybe done in time. If they are running I will be pleased to lend them out.

I’ll put it in my diary for the 12th. Hopefully the weather will be ok.

3 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

You’d probably fit in my x1/9- they’re always said to fit the Italian (gorilla) built! I was fine in the Daimler last year, but I’m only 5,10. Even then the headlining was resting on my head!

I find sit up and beg the very comfy, which is why I’ve kept the roffle win Ignis for a year.

Wouldn’t be so much of a problem if I didn’t have various skeletal injuries from my rugby playing days so I could move hips, spine and knees properly!

2 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

I find sit up and beg the very comfy, which is why I’ve kept the roffle win Ignis for a year.

Wouldn’t be so much of a problem if I didn’t have various skeletal injuries from my rugby playing days so I could move hips, spine and knees properly!

2cv it is then!  X1/9 is many things, but not sit up and beg posture. More like legs flat out, seat reclined and arms stretched.

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Mrs Dustman is expressing interest in coming along as well if:

A) we’re not camping 
2) she can bring wine
C) there are other Ladies coming who aren’t interested much in cars with whom she can chat and be a bad influence to.
D) potato.

Lol at c and d 

Just now, dozeydustman said:

Only with roof peeled back so I can poke my head through it! Have tried and was a no-go!

Even I have the seat back as far as it will go, and that puts my eye level at the screen frame unless I slouch. Must get it out tomorrow, it’s been months! X1/9 hasn’t moved since Easter either - could be a record 30miles between mots! 

31 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

He does wear them most of the time but a lot of the time it's not for music he's got the background noise reduction switched on..

I was wondering regarding Dolly not idling, if someone could bring some gasket paper along to the FoD to make new gaskets for her manifold etc? (or at home if the assembly has already been removed?)

I wonder if it would be worth doing so as I wonder if air getting in after the carburettor could have been causing some of the issues?

44 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Just watched the vectra/2cv drive video.  Field looked good. One thing I found odd with @Six-cylinders 2cv is that it has the later gearchange angle compared to mine.  I agree the engine is smooth. 

I thought the gearchange had been set up wrong? Not that I plan to change it as I am perfectly happy the way it is.

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Mrs Dustman is expressing interest in coming along as well if:

A) we’re not camping 
2) she can bring wine
C) there are other Ladies coming who aren’t interested much in cars with whom she can chat and be a bad influence to.
D) potato.

@Slowsilver - would MrsS be interested in coming over on one or other of the days for wine & a chat & some bad influence? I'd be happy to join in on all three and can also talk happily with MrsDD about potatoes!

13 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I thought the gearchange had been set up wrong? Not that I plan to change it as I am perfectly happy the way it is.

I found the change slightly odd too, as if it was all twisted to the left. Threw me the first time I instructed driving of it!

If the 2CVs at the FoD and I make it I’ll try to remember to bring my grease gun. 

Edited to add: 

If I do make it Mrs_b is likely to come too and I’m sure wine and chat will interest her... not so sure about potatoes.... 

21 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I was wondering regarding Dolly not idling, if someone could bring some gasket paper along to the FoD to make new gaskets for her manifold etc? (or at home if the assembly has already been removed?)

I wonder if it would be worth doing so as I wonder if air getting in after the carburettor could have been causing some of the issues?

I can if you remind me! Got loads

38 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I think* that the later cars built in Portugal all had left hand drive gearlevers. They are canted quite a bit over to the left and down compared to the others.