Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

On 8/28/2020 at 8:00 AM, Six-cylinder said:

FoD Open Weekend 12/13 September. 

I see a lot of new names on the forum and this is an open invitation to all Autoshite members new and old. Members gather chat, drive, work on my cars and stuff. You can work on your own stuff or just sit around drinking tea. Come for an hour or come for the weekend, all you have to is pm me for for directions and it is FREE.

Sure to be there ! Dont know if the Daf will be ready, If not its the Beemer! Hope to meet new friends ?

I have had a great day today!

Andyrew came round to look at the rust on the sub-frame mounting of the Vanden Plas 1500 and declared it needed doing but the car was still ok to move it around and he would sort it out for me. Last week when I moved the VP across the road it locked me out and the drivers door would not open at all so I broke in the passenger door. Andyrew had a look at that, he could not open the drivers door and had to remove the door panel with the door closed. A clean and lubrication and it works again now. The final VP job was to fit a new tail pipe as the last one fell off.

As a treat at the end of the day we just thought we would connect a battery on the Peugeot 504 convertible and see if it would start. No was the answer just a clonk and you could hear the solenoid clicking. We pushed the car in gear and we could feel it release but the starter still would not work. Andy took it of and we found the solenoid had pushed the cog out, but it was not returning clogged with old grease or something. A good clean and and an off the car test it spun cleanly and the cog engaged and retracted so we refitted it. The car fired up immediately. This was after 6 years not being started which is amazing with the old Kugelfischer mechanical injection and old petrol. I drove the car forward and backwards 3 feet in the garage and the clutch worked perfectly. While not locked the brakes were binding slightly so need taking apart and cleaning at the least. I felt like real progress.

A big thanks to @Andyrew for all his help today.

IMG_20200830_114433 broad.jpg

IMG_20200830_120017 broad.jpg

IMG_20200830_125436 broad.jpg

IMG_20200830_154318 broad.jpg

IMG_20200830_164751 broad.jpg

IMG_20200830_164907 broad.jpg

IMG_20200830_174950 broad.jpg

Thanks to Mrs6c for the supply of sandwiches and plenty of coffee aswell. 

We were lucky with the weather and it was nice to do some simple jobs even if the door lock was fiddly!

The Peugeot is a lovely motor. Having not looked around one in detail before the styling is just so simple and yet it has many neatly designed touches, like the front indicators wrapping around the front corners and the floating rear lights.  

For it to fire up as quick as it did was quite the surprise and after running up to temp it sounded sweet. 

7 hours ago, overrun said:

Very impressive that the Pug fired up like that! Wheeler Dealers would have liked to have had it so easy, on their 2002 BMW!

I echo the sentiment that it is a beautiful machine. I like the silver. Timeless class.

The Kugelfiscer injection system was cleaned and set up 6 years ago, but given their frightful reputation I was expecting to have to had it done again and it even ran on 6 year old petrol.

The colour is Storm Grey.

IMG_20200830_174849 broad.jpg

9 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

The Kugelfiscer injection system was cleaned and set up 6 years ago, but given their frightful reputation I was expecting to have to had it done again and it even ran on 6 year old petrol.

The colour is Storm Grey.

IMG_20200830_174849 broad.jpg

It’s stunning, and sadly no longer fits in with the theme of the collection - being all of gorgeous, working, non rusty, shiny and in demand.

My design house of choice is Bertone ( gandini was a genius) but pininfarina did do lovely work too. I expect that there isn’t a bad looking angle on that car. If you’ve seen my posts this week from work which was full of Aston martins- most of which were rather over blown and showy -it is possible to make a very expensive car rather ugly, and zagato never seemed to have the right eye.

can i ask a smol favour?

local knowledge from mk to basingstoke needed please

the trainz go into that lundun and on a sunday not sure what kinda service id get - can i you get from there or oxford heading directly south instead of east then out?

could i shitely myself from the fod to bassa on the saturday morning??

anyone game? for fuel and cake payment obvs

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Gamma OC didn't fancy trying to rescue the windscreen then?  Mind you I suppose most Gammas are MOT exempt now so windscreen damage is less of an issue.

was wondering that, and the rear wheels as well?

1 hour ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Sad but that first picture of it being lifted by the JCB is calendar worthy for sure!

Ditto! calendar shot for sure, Autoshite flying cars LTD LOL