Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

In 2011 I signed up to do an amazing day out with Club Peugeot, meet at RAF Benson to look around the helicopter facility, on to Millbrook where Club Peugeot had exclusive use of the banked oval and finishing the day at a Shuttleworth Flying display. I belonged to the Club Peugeot because I had a Peugeot under restoration and thought with some effort I would have it ready. As we got to six weeks before the date I realised that would not happen so decided the event seemed so great I would buy a running Peugeot to take part.

There are several Peugeots I like but armed with a budget of sub £500 two came to the top of the list, 306 Cabriolet and 406 Coupe. With six weeks to go I felt I had time to be picky and started looking for a Roland Garros 306 Cab and a 406 V6 only. As weeks went by I widened my search to all 306 Cabriolets and all petrol 406 coupes but still nothing I wanted to take out on a Club Peugeot day. Then I saw a 306 Cabriolet 2.0i in dark blue with tan leather, lowish mileage beautiful condition advertised for £1000, push the boat out for once buy the best. What a disappointment a neglected heap of poo was presented to me and I walked away. I did the day out in my Citroen DS and nobody seemed to mind.

I have never forgotten those two Peugeot models I wanted in 2011 and have looked and dreamed occasionally of owning them. Then in December when selling my Citroen AX 11TZX I was contacted by the doctor who asked if I would swap it for his 306 Cabriolet 1.8, what a great chance to live my dream and I am not disappointed.

Today chatting to a friend I recounted the tale of wanting a Peugeot 306 Cabriolet or 406 coupe and saying I now had the 306 Cab.  After he left I looked on Autoshite “For Sale” and there was a running 406 Coupe up for grabs. I seized the moment before it was gone and in not much over an hour later it was on my drive!

IMG_20200816_165252 broad.jpg

IMG_20200816_165219 broad.jpg

IMG_20200816_165410 broad.jpg

P1060895 broad.jpg

19 minutes ago, hairnet said:

unfuck the wheels

please

@Frogchod

It's what's known as a Silver edition - basically in UK market terms a run out spec , you could get them in metallic Black too. I agree the wheels are an acquired taste- but they are what was supplied as standard  from new with the car - even down to the charcoal painted centres. 

Well i shoe horses for  a living, for 42 years,  and i have a shot back too... Funnily enough all the time i used a 2a , a series 3  and a lightweight , with foam on plywood seats , for work , l had very little backache !!   My T4 i bought new  ,crippled me straight away  , so i put in a  Recaro ,that didn't help much really but i put up with it . When it wore through , after 10 years ,  i took it out and fitted the  vw seat back in ,  leaving the recaro mess in the porch...After going to work and being crippled by the seat , i got home thinking id refit the shagged recaro..only some bastard has nicked it ! As it happened i had bought 2 recaros originally ,but only got round to fitting the driver seat, and they aren't handed ..so i put  the "old new one " in ... 

16 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124292416899

This old cabbage has done the rounds on here I think already. Looks terminal but may be good for parts.  Ends soon 

Screenshot_20200816-194922.thumb.png.cd0a5ea49af9fd69694c6d39c5a3ee56.png

Unfortunately I think you are right and this car would need an awful amount of welding to save it.

At the moment you are being charged quite a lot to remove scrap  cars so maybe it will linger a little longer.

I think those coupes are beautiful and have always hankered after a V6 petrol... but was advised to give it the swerve back in the day as my friend's son had one that was a money pit.

Maybe now is the time to invest before they all disappear, but the piggybank is empty after having the DS sorted.

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I bought Mrs6C a boat tank which looks like it will work well, but no gauge.

P1360363 broad.jpg

that does seem to fit pretty well :) wonder how hard it would be to securely strap it in place, if nothing else should work well for moving them around the FoD as needed

is that blue thing with a short bit of pipe coming out the end, the breather? I assume theres a small stub/pick up point on the bottom of the tank for the fuel to go to via suitable pipe to the fuel pump etc?

The blue thing is the supply, the breather is the little knob thing on the cap. A baggage strap would hold it in but I suspect the MoT man might take a dim view, what say any of our tame MoT testers? A steel strap wouldn't be taxing to knock up.