Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I am having a Ford Day!

Six-cylinder

I have been in France for two weeks and had hopped to plaque you with French Shite on a daily basis but in spite of a new smart phone and tablet I could not workout how to upload pictures while on holiday. So the best first, I was being driven by some French friends in a Nissan Cashcow dozing and opened my eyes to this!

post-4787-0-13523400-1446475741_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-96031200-1446475790_thumb.jpg

Usual stuff has started again, Merc 200TE cut out on Mrs Cyl but did restart, now that fix it list grows again, V70 T5 engine management light, V70 XC oil leak, BMW 735i heater fan screeching, Merc 500 misfire occasionally.

And winter came while I was away as well!

post-4787-0-14587200-1446537603_thumb.jpg

I have just had two week holiday in Northern France and looked out for Citroen Visa's but none were to be seen. I also looked for C15 vans while there is still a reasonable supply. I have counted 68 vans in 2000 miles and have photos for most of them.

Here are my top 3. At no.3 Petrol, no.2 extra door and at no.1 shop!

post-4787-0-22631400-1446550136_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-45355000-1446550174_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-72009300-1446550216_thumb.jpg

Visa 17RD no.2 - The Long Road

Why did I buy a second Visa 17RD, is a question only a doctor can answer but I did. It was easy to buy, local, MOTed and all I had to do was outbid others on the ebay auction.

I enjoyed driving it home and photographing it with my other 17RD and C15 van. Then “why did I buy it†questions popped into my mind, why do I need two the same, what am I going to do with it, so I put it away in a barn which is easy in the summer with other cars out and about. Still with “why did I buy it†questions in my mind I received an offer to buy it so I bought it back home and it sat on the drive. I looked forward to the day it would be gone.

Knowing the extra 17RD was going, I pursued a 652cc Special I liked the look of and bought it. Next the sale of the 17RD fell through and I had just added another Visa to the tally. I could just put the extra 17RD on ebay but I liked seeing the Speical, 17RD and C15 together on my drive. Gradually the desire to get the extra 17RD driving again has surfaced and now I am going to MOT it what ever I do with it after that.

The narrative I have told myself is that my original 17RD is so good now it has been repainted I don’t want to use it in the winter so I can use this one instead!

The process has started with the driver’s window channel repaired and window winding up and down again. I have a new rear light unit to replace the broken one and I am going to put the battery on charge this very morning as it is a non starter at the moment. It is not a priority so may take a bit of time but will return to the road……….

post-4787-0-51058600-1446805752_thumb.jpg

I have been in France for two weeks and had hopped to plaque you with French Shite on a daily basis but in spite of a new smart phone and tablet I could not workout how to upload pictures while on holiday. So the best first, I was being driven by some French friends in a Nissan Cashcow dozing and opened my eyes to this!

I know where that is! Nr pont leveque -went past in June but it was in a thunderstorm so no photos.

I know where that is! Nr pont leveque -went past in June but it was in a thunderstorm so no photos.

That's it we were staying at Cabourg, being driven by some French friends who would not understand why we would want to photograph wrecked cars but fortunately Mrs Cyl had the presence of mind to take a picture of the next road sign so we could find our way back the next day!

That's it we were staying at Cabourg, being driven by some French friends who would not understand why we would want to photograph wrecked cars but fortunately Mrs Cyl had the presence of mind to take a picture of the next road sign so we could find our way back the next day!

I was the only the other side of Cannes at Saint aubin sur Mer.

post-8687-0-47924600-1446904330_thumb.jpeg

Adding our winter daily driver list to JohnK thread has made me think what jobs need doing on each of them, quite a good % in service at the moment.

1999 Volvo V70 T5 – In fine order

2001 Volvo V70 XC – Currently at different garage having oil leak looked at. (Mrs Cyl says it embarrassingly marks its spot in the office car park)

1990 Mercedes 200TE – In fine order

1996 Citroen ZX TD Estate – in fine order

1994 Mercedes 500SEC – slight misfire after leaving a roundabout

1988 BMW 735i SE – Heater fan screams

2004 Range Rover TD6 – in fine order

1999 Citroen Xantia V6 – in fine order

2000 Citroen C15D Van – in fine order

Other cars that are still out and about:

Visa 17RD E reg – needs MOT, paintwork.

Visa 652 Special – needs polish and putting away.

CX 2500 I/E Pallas – needs heater controls, headlining and putting away.

DS Super – need windscreen sealed, clean and putting away.

While in storage I would like to get out my 1995 Audi V6 convertible in case we have any winter sunshine – It will need an MOT as it run out 6th Oct and service.

I should also be getting back the ex Breadvan Alfa 156 from the garage and that can join the daily cars as it will be the new toy!

While it is winter and I don’t need all my classics if the garage I use catches up with the jobs I have lined up then I will get the MOT done on the Biturbo which requires a couple of brake calipers, MGB GT MOT (ran out 27th Oct) and 2CV MOT (ran out 5th Nov) so they are ready in the spring for the first rays of sunshine.

So there is the plan……..

I bought this E36 328i convertible today as a spares car to salvage the engine for my 328i sport coupe with a blown head gasket and broken head stud.

This convertible is an MOT failure on brakes, suspension, ABS light and a non working split hood.

The good news is it is 112,000 miles with history and seems to drive very well.

Engine transplant to follow……

post-4787-0-77279100-1447538023_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-85077900-1447538089_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-60662600-1447538175_thumb.jpg

My friend has got my BMW E30 through it's MOT today!

My freinds words on the subject:

It took quite a bit of tweaking to get the emissions right but we got there in the end. I have only done about 30 miles but it appears fine,still work to do but at least with a MOT the light at the end of the tunnel is visible.

post-4787-0-70054400-1448122359_thumb.jpg

The DS shot was in Carboug near Caen, it was an impressive looking B&B but that lacked in a few areas including Breakfast, when our coffee pot was taken from us and given to other guests!

We did a tour round in October including Ypres for the Flanders Museum.

post-4787-0-25557600-1448127388_thumb.jpg

I made an offer for a 2000 Ford V6 Cougar manual this morning, what are they like?

Son No1 had a 1999 one for a while. Shit seats, zero engine braking and useless rear seats if that matters. His had leaky crank oil seal, sticky rear caliper and a broken rear ABS ring, all fixed. It also had a problem not open the throttle secondaries when warm, I took the box of tricks to bits and put a new diode in which fixed it and was cheap and easy.

That's the bad stuff, looked and drove well, ok on fuel for V6. Mostly but not all V6 Mondeo bits IIRC

Son No1 had a 1999 one for a while. Shit seats, zero engine braking and useless rear seats if that matters. His had leaky crank oil seal, sticky rear caliper and a broken rear ABS ring, all fixed. It also had a problem not open the throttle secondaries when warm, I took the box of tricks to bits and put a new diode in which fixed it and was cheap and easy.

That's the bad stuff, looked and drove well, ok on fuel for V6. Mostly but not all V6 Mondeo bits IIRC

I did not have my offer accepted in the end and the car went for another £100, not sure how I felt I wanted to own it for a while but I really did not need another car to maintain.

You've got a great collection of cars there Mr 6, I guess I'm slowly trying to get to a stage similar to you where I can kind of pick and choose what to drive. Currently looking at E280 Estate as a daily again when/if gets repaired and Mk1 G-reg Sterling as a weekend/meets car, although the 820E is a stronger contender for that title.

I think my faves in your collection are the BMW 730i and Merc 200TE (naturally...)

You've got a great collection of cars there Mr 6, I guess I'm slowly trying to get to a stage similar to you where I can kind of pick and choose what to drive. Currently looking at E280 Estate as a daily again when/if gets repaired and Mk1 G-reg Sterling as a weekend/meets car, although the 820E is a stronger contender for that title.

I think my faves in your collection are the BMW 730i and Merc 200TE (naturally...)

When I first met you you had a Rover 800 and somehow it's the car I picture you in.

I have had a few more years than you to work on my collection so yours will come.

Our Volvo 740 History

My first taste of 740s was at the end of 1985 when I went to work for the Volvo dealer in Aylesbury as a salesman. My boss ran new 740s and I was often allowed to borrow them. I was never of a higher enough rank to be given a 700 as my regular personal car but of course I got to drive lots of different types.

In 1990 I worked on the replacement Volvo dealers used car site and after being initially offered a new car with the used car position that was taken away (Volvo 440 Turbo) from me by the dealer principle but my boss the used car manage was concerned by the change that had been forced on me and said to compensate me I could use any car within his control. In the following 6 months before I went back to selling new cars I used 28 cars for personal use, 12 of them were Volvo 700s of all types including a 740 Turbo manual Estate and a 2 year old 760 Turbo auto estate which I had for 2 weeks over Christmas 1990.

Fast forward to Oct 1999, I am out of the motor trade and running a 1975 Mercedes 280CE and I was ready for a change but could not decide what I wanted so bought a then 12 year old 180,000 mile 740 GLE Estate Auto in gold with black leather as a stop gap. At the time Mrs Cyl questioned why I had bought such a boring car, six months latter when I had finished with it she asked to take it over rather than me selling it!

In late 2000 I needed another stop gap car so this time a 740 GLE auto saloon came up, we got it cheap because the heater did not work properly. The air intake at the bottem of the windscreen was taped up in an effort to warm the interior, I removed this and hot air came from the heater but my feet were cold so I closed the independent foot well vents. It was like a light bulb moment the seller hated the car because of the cold air but knowing the cars so well I instinctively went to the foot well vents! I only had it for 9 moths and then my father in-law took it over.

In 2002 Mrs Cyl was working in the USA and bought herself a 1992 Volvo 740GL Auto Estate with the 2.3i engine and GLE spec she had it about a year and then came back to the UK without it!

Upon Mrs Cyl return to the UK in 2004 she wanted another 740 GLE Auto Estate so we found her a 1990 car on E bay. 2 years on it started using water and we were quoted a fortune for a new Cylinder head so it went to my farther in-law who had a second hand head fitted in Wales for a very reasonable price.

In 2005 I bought a 740GLE Auto at an auction because it was there and looked good, not knowing what I was going to do with it when a work college of Mrs Cyl wanted it I let it go, so only had it a month.

2010 was the last 740 we owned a 1989 740GLE Auto Estate in grey met 140k, a great car but again a friend wanted it so I let it go but not until I collect a side by side fridge freezer with the tailgate shut!

Mrs Cyl farther no longer needs the Blue 1990 740GLE so Mrs Cylinder wants it back but it is a non starter in Wales 200 miles away!

post-4787-0-65492700-1448475045_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-54588000-1448475127_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-10962100-1448475396_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-82332400-1448475435_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-20521300-1448475609_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-26751100-1448475667_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-12234600-1448475724_thumb.jpg

Wow! I bet the SVM are wetting themselves reading about your involvoment with Volvos. When I saw Andy McCMS at Cholmongdogly in late 2014 he had an identical to your F171LBH.

When I first met you you had a Rover 800 and somehow it's the car I picture you in. I have had a few more years than you to work on my collection so yours will come.

Thanks! I really hope to get a working collection of cars I can enjoy. I love 800s but am at a time where mid/late 90s executive land barges are very cheap and I really want to try other stuff whilst keeping 800s to 'now and then' toy.