Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

5 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

@LightBulbFun That's not a Bentley!

well then what is it! because my first thought on seeing a winged badge was obviously

image.thumb.png.2176b3beee83dce7d918caa7e3ac0f82.png

next thought was "ok its something posh and fancy" and I know Bentley also have a winged badge

image.thumb.png.7c46085eeed1bf361ff514b3445fa5a0.png

other then that I have got no clue :) 

Computer Says No!

I finally got round to going to the post office today to tax the Trevi today. It was registered 1st Jan 1983 and my understanding is that counts as 1982 built and therefore is eligible for free road tax now April 2023. The lady at the counter said computer says £325 unless you are disabled, there is nothing I can do.  What can I do? @LightBulbFun

7 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Computer Says No!

I finally got round to going to the post office today to tax the Trevi today. It was registered 1st Jan 1983 and my understanding is that counts as 1982 built and therefore is eligible for free road tax now April 2023. The lady at the counter said computer says £325 unless you are disabled, there is nothing I can do.  What can I do? @LightBulbFun

The lady at the counter and/or her system would appear to be incorrect.  The Government website states "If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered before 8 January 1983, you can still apply to stop paying vehicle tax."

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/vehicles-exempt-from-vehicle-tax

12 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Computer Says No!

as @Mrs6C says its a keyboard-chair interface problem, I dont think its a system issue as I think @trigger was able to historic tax his Golf which similarly scrapes by into the historic vehicle taxation class, (being registered 7th Jan 1983!) I would advise going back, and showing the lady a print-out of the government page, highlighting the bit about if registered before 8 Jan 1983, if you continue to get grief from the post office about it you can always try do it the old fashioned way by post :) 

which would be a V10 form if the vehicle is SORN/not taxed/due to run out of tax soon https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-vehicle-tax-v10

or V70 if its currently taxed https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-change-a-vehicle-tax-v70 (this enables you to get a refund for any remaining tax left)

In 2006 @Mrs6Cbought this BMW 330 Ci SE Auto from a work college who bought it new and collected it at the factory in Munich, that was popular to do at the time.

It has been resting since before covid and the fuel pump stopped working so it has been replaced along with fuel filter.  Next it needed tyres as the ones on there had plenty of tread but also plenty of cracks! Thank you @Slowsilver who got the wheels off for me and @Andyrew who changed the tyres over for some good used ones I bought.

Next was MOT and service, surprisingly for a car that has stood around there was little wrong, except the rear brake pads were disintegrating. Now with a fresh MOT, service including a coolant change and all is well. It drives lovely and BMW club night is Thursday evening, if Mrs6C allows me!

IMG_20230303_150634 broad.jpg

IMG_20230303_151246 broad.jpg

IMG_20230303_153359 broad.jpg

IMG_20230321_134238 broad.jpg

IMG_20230404_144150 broad.jpg

IMG_20230328_150753 broad v2.jpg

IMG_20230328_155148 broad.jpg

IMG_20230425_145127 broad.jpg

IMG_20230425_141956 broad.jpg

IMG_20230425_142120 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Computer Says No!

Isn’t there a specific form to register as over 40?

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

IMG_0379.png

17 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

It took me three post offices to find one where they had the foggiest idea that historic vehicle tax even existed, never mind had a clue how to change it when I got the Cavalier...so I'm not surprised.

I had quite the laugh putting REV into the Historic Vehicle taxation class post office clerk" "its already free tax I am not sure what your trying to do" "yes I know just put it in the historic vehicle taxation class for me please!"

it was not too much of an issue, but he was clearly bemused by why someone wanted to move a vehicle from one £NIL rate tax class to another £NIL rate tax class LOL

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

It took me three post offices to find one where they had the foggiest idea that historic vehicle tax even existed, never mind had a clue how to change it when I got the Cavalier...so I'm not surprised.

My local PO is pretty clued up on most things VED-related.  I went in there at the start of the month to change the Visa over to historic tax - I walked up to the counter and said "I need to tax my car and change the status to historic" and the woman replied "Ah, it must be the 1st of April!".  Did it all in about 2 minutes.

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

My local PO is pretty clued up on most things VED-related.  I went in there at the start of the month to change the Visa over to historic tax - I walked up to the counter and said "I need to tax my car and change the status to historic" and the woman replied "Ah, it must be the 1st of April!".  Did it all in about 2 minutes.

Thinking about it, I wonder if she looked at the options before she changed it to historic.