Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

What's a Silver Dawn?  I thought that shape was either a Spirit, or a Spur if it was a LWB.

It is LWB, based on the Silver Spur III, the Silver Dawn just updated electronic traction control system, heated rear seats, and downsized front grille and Spirit of Ecstasy bonnet ornament.

My friend, another Steve is also car mad and has had a Bentley Turbo for years, this Rolls is his wife's who inherited it from her late brother and in beautiful condition.

I used to work for Steve in the later 90s into the 00s. The office was car mad, I had car models on my desk, that was completely acceptable, nay encouraged. We talked cars all day (it was a building company) when we had an off site business apointment we often found a car related activity to improve the day.

Steve has always had a fantastic collection of cars, more than me have come and gone, but sticking with Rolls/Bentley, for many years he had a Silver Shadow I and a Cloud II. We used to have a car mad client so we would sometimes visit him with the Cloud II. He has had several Bentleys over the years but also likes all sorts of junk like an Allegro and Renault 4s before they became fashionable/valuable. Maybe not a shiter but a sound car mad friend.

541147_3653196972587_1354433331_33598370_720374249_n.jpg

FoD opening 27-28-29 May 2023 bank holiday weekend

Come for an hour, come for a day or come for the long weekend with FREE camping.

For those who have not been before it is a gathering of Autoshite members where you choose if you sit around and drink tea or get your hands dirty fixing/cleaning your own stuff or help with one of our many projects.

Camping is a flat field with a composting toilet and mains water. Car Camping, tents, caravans or motorhomes are all welcome. Family friendly and dogs welcome. No problem if you want to camp with us and go off site to do your own stuff.

The target for the weekend is to get our Saab 95 engine put back in and running. 

20220514_181636.jpg.7ba0ec2cd72a28c78554f2dbcbba010d.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD opening 27-28-29 May 2023 Spring bank holiday weekend
4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

FoD opening 27-28-29 May 2023 bank holiday weekend

Come for an hour, come for a day or come for the long weekend with FREE camping.

For those who have not been before it is a gathering of Autoshite members where you choose if you sit around and drink tea or get your hands dirty fixing/cleaning your own stuff or help with one of our many projects.

Camping is a flat field with a composting toilet and mains water. Car Camping, tents, caravans or motorhomes are all welcome. Family friendly and dogs welcome. No problem if you want to camp with us and go off site to do your own stuff.

The target for the weekend is to get our Saab 95 engine put back in and running. 

20220514_181636.jpg.7ba0ec2cd72a28c78554f2dbcbba010d.jpg

Oooh yes! a FoD Gathering! 

@red5 hows REV looking for being ready in time for this? any chance or are you thinking unlikely?  just wondering so I know how to start planning it all :) 

I made a start on the Peugeot 404 today simply changing the headlights so when Zel helps me he only has to find some electricity!

Everything is against me rust, seized bolts of the wrong thread, poorly manufactured wing that do not have a flat surface and even block a fixing hole. I am short of the 3 pin connectors for the headlight bulbs and will also need some sort of earth cable as the original had a built in arrangement to the metal pod. To fit the modern headlights and keep the base plates that fit the special shaped  trim ring is going to take a bit of engineering after I have derusted them.

I also had a look at the indicator/side light and was surprised to find a dual filament bulb.

Before I was even ready rain has stopped play.

IMG_20230430_161727 broad.jpg

IMG_20230429_211257 broad.jpg

IMG_20230430_154318 broad.jpg

IMG_20230430_183838 broad.jpg

This year is the Austin Allegro  50th anniversary and it is being celebrated at Gaydon  on the 14th May.

Our Vanden Plas version has been off the road due to minor rust and @Andyrew kindly said he would weld a patch on it. It has turned into a monster of a job with reconstructive surgery. We are so grateful that Andy is doing this and basically saving the car from certain death. 

I visited Andy today and the progress is good.

IMG_20230501_162259 broad.jpg

IMG_20230501_162832 broad.jpg

IMG_20230501_162952 broad.jpg

The stars may be aligning as I think I'm actually free that weekend, and I have at least one working shite car currently. I've asked my partner if she fancies coming with me, if we bring our son then surely that counts as a family day out?! 😅