Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I am having a Ford Day!

Six-cylinder

I thought I would add all my woes together into one thread and then one day perhaps I could share some good news as well.

Our winter motoring looked good, no fantastic.

1999 Volvo V70 T5
2001 Volvo V70 XC
1990 Mercedes 200TE
1996 Citroen ZX TD Estate
1988 BMW 735i SE
2004 Range Rover TD6
1995 Audi V6 Convertible
2000 BMW 330 Ci
1999 Citroen Xantia V6
2000 Citroen C15D Van

Now

• Our V70XC is in a garage trying to trace another oil leak.
  • Audi Convertible is in a different garage to have its rear shock absorbers replaced following a bad knocking noise.
  • C15D out on loan but ready to come home.
  • Xantia has airbag light on now.
  • I have just found 735i has a flat battery, I was planning to take it to a BMW meeting tonight and the interior mirror has fallen off. Why now I have owned the car 7 years.
  • The worst is I had taken the ZX out and 13 miles from home the clutch pedal hit the floor. I managed to drive it home staring off in gear and the up changes were not too bad but down changes did not really work. I will have to book that in to be sorted now.

In case you wondered about the rest of the fleet

• My wife does not like her 330Ci used when there is any salt about.
  • The Range Rover is hard to park, expensive to run and makes you look like a posh git.
  • So my wife is using the V70 T5.
  • Me, I using the 200TE.

On Friday I delivered the clutch less Citroen ZX to the garage and collected the Audi Convertible after the test for an engine water leak, which showed no loss and the replacement of the rear shock absorbers. It felt great to drive no knocking noises and confident we were not leaking water. Half way home and the low water warning light came on and a check at home revealed an empty header tank but I could not see a leak. On advice of a friend I toped up the water and ran the car with the header cap off to remove any air from the system, when I returned to check I found the top radiator hose had slipped back and the jubilee clip was out of place with some water escaping. I repositioned the hose and tightened it back up and ran it for half an hour with out water loss. Today I road tested the car and all seemed fine.

On the way back from the garage with the Audi I stopped at a hand car wash in Wolverton for a £10 Wash and Vac and after the wash they told me the interior of my car was too dirty and they wanted an extra £5! I told them if it was not dirty I would not be in there for a clean and offered to take the car away just paying for the wash. They did the job for 10 but I will give somewhere else a go next time as it felt an uncomfortable situation.   

Can you confirm or deny that the highest bidder is a rapist?

Can't confirm or deny - was making a rash judgement looking at what you can see of the bidding history of most of the bidders. Clearly not all are Mini engine rapists, as proven by our very own Mr Cylinder. Fingers crossed it's going to a good home.

Sorry for thread hijack

That metro looked nice, my fave period colour for them. Shame you missed out, though thought you were going to POL in a mini?

Yes it will be back to plan "B" borrow the Mini, but secretly plan "A" is to buy a Longbridge car and preferably an early Metro. Because Mrs Cylinder can't help looking at what we say to each other from time to time I did not want to talk about plan "A".

Further News a date of next Friday (20th) has been set to collect my newly purchased Citroen C15 van that Lankytim had been looking after for me.

For all those who remember all the meanness I have displayed in the past, I have managed to buy a train ticket from Milton Keynes to Kidsgrove for £7! So 120 mile for £7.00  = 6p per mile there must be a cheaper way!  

Can't confirm or deny - was making a rash judgement looking at what you can see of the bidding history of most of the bidders. Clearly not all are Mini engine rapists, as proven by our very own Mr Cylinder. Fingers crossed it's going to a good home.

Sorry for thread hijack

Ah, sorry. I thought you had inside information on the potential purchaser. My bad

Today I collected my C15D van from Lankytim and all went to plan. There were no spares seats for the first part of the Journey from Milton Keynes but that will teach me to book on the cheapest train of the day!

Remembering Lanktim had only borrowed the van before I collected it and there cannot be held responsible for the body that had more rust spots than I expected. The good news is it drove so much better than 208,000 miles would have you believe. 116 miles home with no cause for concerns.

It’s strange how much fun you can have with a cheap Citroen C15, I absolutely loved driving it home and don’t think I would have enjoyed it any more if it was a new £50,000 BMW!

P1290387broad_zps68f08c76.jpg

Saturday was a trip out with the BMW Car Club and independent 7 series register to demonstration morning at Meguiar’s Polishes in Davantry. My wife decided she wanted us to give the 330Ci a trip out and was delighted when it was chosen to used for the demonstration. Trouble is they only did the bonnet and now she wants me to do the rest of the car!

P1290390broad_zpsadfd3da3.jpg

P1290407broad_zpsdaa24e95.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My BMW 735i has been away for a while now to refit the rear bumper, service it to cure "a getting up to temp misfire", and a wondering from the steering. I called into the garage who have it today to be told it just needed test driving so they made me do my own test drive! All seems well so I will collect it Wednesday. Strange relationship, they have had the car for weeks, they made me a cup of tea and made me test drive my own car! The payoff for being patient has always been they have kept the costs to a minimum. 

I had the Audi convertible washed and vacuumed today and it felt great clean, I am sure it runs better for its wash! 

The Volvo V70 XC is back in another garage for the 3rd time, as it still has a small oil leak.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I put away my "New" Visa 17RD into storage while I sort out some other cars and got out my other Visa 17RD to MOT it and fit a new bonnet in preparation for a trip to Holland May Day weekend.

Then come the Magnificent shitefest I think if it survives Holland it will be the car of choice!

I managed to photo them together as they changed spaces.

P1290595%20broad_zpsjgab6iy9.jpg

P1290600%20broad_zpswvznsd8y.jpg

I must say it must be brilliant to have another half that actively encourages car buying! Presume its a V8?

Having a wife who likes car is good in some ways but I have no brakes to stop over indulgence! Also she has a very strong opinion as to what we should have and puts up opposition if it's not to her liking so I end up with her compromises.

Chrysler Sebring, No V8s were made, this is the largest engine a 2.5 V6 rated at 168 bhp but feels less. I have driven them thousands of miles including a run from Washington DC to New Orleans  in one day, 1076 miles in 17 hour 15 mins. They are smooth, quiet and like a mid size saloon car that the roof lowers.