Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

21 hours ago, Talbot said:

Are you planning on getting just the ring or a whole new CV joint?  The rings are easy enough to fit as you do them in the same manner as the ring gear on a flywheel:  Get it *bastard* hot, drop it on, let it cool.  It's actually more work to dismantle and get to the CV joint than it is to do the work.

If you bring it to the FOD for the weekender, I have no doubt we could fit it.

Probably not going to he able to get down for the weekender as 3 x aily birthdays that weekend (Mum's 70th and SmollestFL 's 18th) but probably try and bring it back to @Six-cylinderbefore then if you reckon it's a FOD job or I could drop it with Chris' tame mechanic.. what say you Chris?

2 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Probably not going to he able to get down for the weekender as 3 x aily birthdays that weekend (Mum's 70th and SmollestFL 's 18th) but probably try and bring it back to @Six-cylinderbefore then if you reckon it's a FOD job or I could drop it with Chris' tame mechanic.. what say you Chris?

I am in not rush for it's return, if you are happy to use it as it is then keep it as long as you like. If you want to return it then no problem.

Some carlton loving has happened.  I only really do welding at the workshop on days off so evening times ive looked at some other little bits. 

Yesterday i put the patch in on the rear rail bend bit.  What as arse that was. Everything was in the way and the metal contaminated so spitter spatter and very ugly. But its MOT standard id say.  The subframe needs dropping rear and it doing properly but thats a can of worms that cant be opened right now.

Urgh. 

20210515_151201.thumb.jpg.34218d01471d87c7374b20c94ad9fc80.jpg

The patch @Talbot knocked up was slowly butt welded in.

20210515_151137.thumb.jpg.39ee23341cbf5d201a7ab7214aa6850e.jpg

The exhaust system in now fully fitted. 

Ive broken the rules here and put some gun gum on the flanges before and after the cat. 

I went to do the front section and the replacement that was in the car didnt fit well and the sensor hole was in the wrong place.  With the manifold bolts looking a bit sorry and the o2 sensor probably having been in there for 28 years i decided to leave along and fit the original front section back. The issue is the flanges have almost desolved and wouldnt mate properly to seal up. So filed as flat as i could and a smear of gun gum went on either side of the gasket. 

A new clamp was knocked up from the hanger bracket that donated its hooks for the back box. The one at the front had snapped off many years ago by the looks of things. 

20210515_170639.thumb.jpg.129b9638a9b5cc1678489b3c0ab0cd3d.jpg

Tow bar also came off and a busted headlight tab was glued back on. 

Today should see the chassis leg grot patched up and another wee hole that appeared when the airbox came out. 

19 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Some carlton loving has happened.  I only really do welding at the workshop on days off so evening times ive looked at some other little bits. 

Yesterday i put the patch in on the rear rail bend bit.  What as arse that was. Everything was in the way and the metal contaminated so spitter spatter and very ugly. But its MOT standard id say.  The subframe needs dropping rear and it doing properly but thats a can of worms that cant be opened right now.

Urgh. 

20210515_151201.thumb.jpg.34218d01471d87c7374b20c94ad9fc80.jpg

The patch @Talbot knocked up was slowly butt welded in.

20210515_151137.thumb.jpg.39ee23341cbf5d201a7ab7214aa6850e.jpg

The exhaust system in now fully fitted. 

Ive broken the rules here and put some gun gum on the flanges before and after the cat. 

I went to do the front section and the replacement that was in the car didnt fit well and the sensor hole was in the wrong place.  With the manifold bolts looking a bit sorry and the o2 sensor probably having been in there for 28 years i decided to leave along and fit the original front section back. The issue is the flanges have almost desolved and wouldnt mate properly to seal up. So filed as flat as i could and a smear of gun gum went on either side of the gasket. 

A new clamp was knocked up from the hanger bracket that donated its hooks for the back box. The one at the front had snapped off many years ago by the looks of things. 

20210515_170639.thumb.jpg.129b9638a9b5cc1678489b3c0ab0cd3d.jpg

Tow bar also came off and a busted headlight tab was glued back on. 

Today should see the chassis leg grot patched up and another wee hole that appeared when the airbox came out. 

Fantastic!

1 hour ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

hypermiling an 205?

Could be an idea seeing as it's going to have it's fuel leak attended to during the week and I'd like to see a long journey MPG figure but I'm not sleeping in a 205 at the FoD so it would need to be an tent (HAH NO) or an hotel or bring the 740.

figured I should start looking at trains and premier inn before its too late

and is it me or have they stopped doing the nice fast direct Euston to MKC  services?, im only seeing 1 hour multiple stop services atm...

no one happens to be going through/past London this time round are they? am happy to cover for fuel or pastries etc :) 

21 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Euston to Crewe has non-stop to MKC, 30-odd minutes

Yeah im only finding a singular 9:46AM on the 29th and thats it

everything else is a 1 hour services, unless im doing something wrong which is probably the case!

its not the end of the world I guess, im just wondering where they have all gone thats all! probably to do with CV19, if I had to guess

at least its pretty cheap still at £16 for a return...

although I see there are still both Avanti West Coast and West Midlands train services running, so I Still just cant hop on any train, fun LOL

since theres no time difference between them, I might just forget about trying to plan anything and just decide which service I want when I actually get to Euston and see whats on the board!

6 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Ah, cos weekend, obs. Sorry, I was looking at weekdays. Also, engineering work over that weekend between those 2 stations.

yeah, if only i had my own set of wheels so I could avoid all of these problems! LOL

and Premier inn want £87 for 2 nights!

if I just do the 1 night over the weekend itself its a bit better* at £48 (or I could do a Sunday to Monday for £39...)

gonna have to think with this I think 

say @Six-cylinder hows the sleeping amenities in the Astra van, thrown an old mattress in the back and line the roof with some left over loft insulation? LOL

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD May Bank Holiday weekend 29/30/31 - now with a decent weather forecast

As some may know my 2003 Beetle Convertible came with the glass rear window that is trying to escape and taped in. I used the car most of the winter and now it has got worse so I bought glue to get it back together, but first it was too cold for the glue and then it rained and got wet. The forecast is that it will be reasonably dry and warm for the FoD weekend and I am hoping somebody might help glue it back together so I can drive around topless!

IMG_20210522_120900 broad.jpg

IMG_20210522_113129 broad.jpg

Beetle convert cropV2.jpeg

Well Buckingham Travelodge has gone up to 95 quid a night (!) so that's out of the window.  So it's either drive down in the Trafic and sleep in the back, or drive home in the evening and back down the next day - the diesel C2 will do here to FOD and back on 25 quid which isn't bad really.

I was going to bring my new purchase to test camping suitability but part of the roof is made of glass and may or may not leak. I might need to investigate that. I know I can sleep on the back seat of an R8 comfortably, but the brake discs are fubar so another long journey isn't a great idea. 

5 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Should be going there, with the Kitten, on Saturday.  

Ohh, I know the main field bit is busy doing field stuff, 

but id love to have a pootle around the kitten in the available paddock area  if thats possible/ok! :) 

5 hours ago, bobdisk said:

I am after a favour on the day, will anyone have welding gear with them ??

3 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Been tried on the carlton recently, generator wont run a welder..

@Six-cylinder's here a good excuse to get the milk float working if I ever heard one

because then you could hook up a big mains inverter across its batteries for use when a FoD resident needs welding, or someone needs a cup of tea :) 

(and then you can strap some solar panels to the roof to keep the batteries topped up)