Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - What are you doing May Bank Holiday weekend 29/30/31?

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

That raises the question of whether Daimler was a marque in its own right at that point or just a specific model?

My Jaguar is 1966 at which time Jaguar Daimler become BMC. In 1966 you could still buy a proper Daimler Majestic Major or Jaguar badged engineered 250 V8 (Jaguar Mk 2) and Daimler Sovereign (Jaguar 420 pre XJ6). 

16 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

My Jaguar is 1966 at which time Jaguar Daimler become BMC. In 1966 you could still buy a proper Daimler Majestic Major or Jaguar badged engineered 250 V8 (Jaguar Mk 2) and Daimler Sovereign (Jaguar 420 pre XJ6). 

That makes everything clear!

Geek alert - BMC plus Jaguar/Daimler become British Motor Holdings not British Motor Corporation. 

The last car designed by Daimler was the SP250 sports car. 

Although there was a brief mad plan for a Vauxhall Cresta PA with the V8 and an ersatz Daimler front to replace the Conquest/Century models. 
Thankfully Jaguar stopped such nonsense. 

On 1/8/2021 at 3:36 PM, Six-cylinder said:

I have just had a look though my photos and last time I had it out was March 2019 when this picture was taken. 

IMG_20190313_132504 broad.jpg

Never really realised until looking at that photo quite how much E-Type DNA there is in the XJ-S styling wise...we really should get a photo of the two together sometime.

Today I visited my favourite garage and found Mark's personal Triumph 2000 estate has had its new nearside sill welded on. Lots still to do but as these were the guys who sorted out our Metro, Gamma and Trevi etc I sure it will get done.

Interesting new experience today when I stopped to collect fish and chips from a shop in New Bradwell, Milton Keynes and I was told to go back to my car when I had given my order. I was given a pager to tell me when to comeback.

IMG_20210112_113525 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_124203 broad.jpg

I got the 306 Cabriolet Dec 2019 and with the help of some friends have done 700 miles in the year I have had it. All that time I have being playing cambelt roulette with the thought that if I still want it in a years time I will get it done then.  I have always maintained my liking for the 306. Driven back to back with the VW Beetle convertible I would say there is not much to choose between them, but the looks of the Peugeot are truly outstanding while the VW is just interesting with an awkward hood.

Well it turns out it was ready for a cambelt, water pump and auxiliary belt with cracking on both belts. Also the water pump was had a weep. We did a service and MOT which required a couple of brake hoses and the exhaust repaired. They think they have solved the electric fan issue and have replaced a 40 amp fuse and it now it cuts in and out fine.

Some friends borrowed the car and as the radio was broken they kindly popped a spare one in they had. Pioneer I was impressed and it sounds good. The problem is the multi-colour RGB display with MIXTRAX EZ feature that proclaims it can make the colours dance. All I want is an easy to read display and not a distracting dancing display so I have down loaded a manual. 144 pages this is going to take a while and I can’t even visit my friends who gave it to me and get them to help.

What is wrong with my clock and outside temp gauge?

IMG_20210112_121233 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_121558 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_121607 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_121724 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_121728 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_123842 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_123844 copy.jpg

40 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

What is wrong with my clock and outside temp gauge?

Don't know, but anything to do with disconnecting the battery for the work you've had done?

By the way - one of the cheeriest things on AS at the moment is seeing the 'what shall we do in 2021' bit to this thread - makes me think we might not spend the whole year stuck at home in grey gloom!

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today I visited my favourite garage and found Mark's personal Triumph 2000 estate has had its new nearside sill welded on. Lots still to do but as these were the guys who sorted out our Metro, Gamma and Trevi etc I sure it will get done.

Interesting new experience today when I stopped to collect fish and chips from a shop in New Bradwell, Milton Keynes and I was told to go back to my car when I had given my order. I was given a pager to tell me when to comeback.

hnnng (had one of those)

bassa

and flash git (home counties - not a surprise :P )

bassa

hungry now

If its the same as my pioneer, push the volume knob in and scroll to lighting. Set to solid for keys+display

The million colours bit works well as I've had mine in 5 cars and match the colour and contrast to the dash every time! (twiddle knob, push to confirm) Then press the return key and go to display, and turn the background animations off. Fixes it (until the next battery pull, I've got mine down to 2 minutes from reconnecting the battery to having the dab rescanned and the eq set up...) 

2 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

If its the same as my pioneer, push the volume knob in and scroll to lighting. Set to solid for keys+display

The million colours bit works well as I've had mine in 5 cars and match the colour and contrast to the dash every time! (twiddle knob, push to confirm) Then press the return key and go to display, and turn the background animations off. Fixes it (until the next battery pull, I've got mine down to 2 minutes from reconnecting the battery to having the dab rescanned and the eq set up...) 

If only I could visit you.............

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

They must be the best estate cars ever made. Just a great combination of style and practicality. Some estates have one or the other but few can pull it off quite like a 2000. The way the rear seat folds into a totally flat floor seems so simple but so many cars don't do it. And that straight six can't be beaten. Never had one unfortunately, plenty of saloons but never an estate. Been in a couple. Probably missed the boat now. 

22 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Clock just needs setting I think, the two holes next to it are time setting buttons. The one on my estate was like that when I bought it. 

It has been a wet day and I have just not managed to alien, motivation, free time and a pen to give that a go.

I also want to know what colour the dash lights are so I can try and match the radio to them.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - What are you doing May Bank Holiday weekend 29/30/31?
  • Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - PM me if you want to visit FoD Sat or Sun