Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

12 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It seems to be a bit hit and miss.  I've had several old cars which have had the "true" total number of keepers on the V5C, and several which have shown the "since computerisation" number.  May depend on which DVLA local office was originally involved?

Shame we still can't pay a small admin fee and get a photo copy of everything they have for a car.

1 hour ago, BeEP said:

The V5 for the 1966 Morris 1100 I bought last year just says 'Number of former keepers 5' rather than since a date, as do the both the red (issued 2012) and previous blue V5s I have for the 1973 Austin 1100 and 1972 Austin 1800 owned since 2005/06.

29 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It seems to be a bit hit and miss.  I've had several old cars which have had the "true" total number of keepers on the V5C, and several which have shown the "since computerisation" number.  May depend on which DVLA local office was originally involved?

yeah I have noticed that not all old ex Buff logbook vehicles have it

what I have yet to figure out is on those old vehicles which dont have the "since computerisation" date, is if on those vehicles the full keeper count from the vehicles buff logbook was carried over to the V5, hence no need for the date

or if they whoever was V5ing the vehicle at the local DVLC VRO just neglected to include the "since computerisation" flag when entering the vehicles details into the computer

I guess the only way to know in that regard is if someone has such a vehicle and still somehow has its old buff logbook as well so they can compare how many keepers its had on the buff logbook with what it says on the V5!

15 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Shame we still can't pay a small admin fee and get a photo copy of everything they have for a car.

Yeah! one thing I was surprised to learn on that front is that the DVLA did keep copies of vehicles old buff logbooks

I know of a couple of people who back when you could say "gimme a photocopy of all the V5s and info you have on this vehicle"

did so, and even got copies of said vehicles buff logbook! I really was not expecting that!

from speaking with someone who has done a lot of these, apparently with the correct wording you CAN still get copies of old V5's etc from the DVLA but they will have (previous) keeper info blanked out (although apparently sometimes they are not very good at doing so, so you get the odd one with details still visible)

im tempted to put this to the test with REV, but im fortunate with REV that I already know her full keeper history and who all the keepers where and I have a good number of her previous V5's (or copies of previous V5's) already

so there would be little point in doing so, and if it only works once I dont want it to be wasted on a vehicle which I already know the history of!

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

must be a fluke/error with the 3rd party tools then!

when you say this V5 do you mean your current one, or the old V5? (do you still have the old V5?)

on a separate note

being a 1973 vehicle, it will have been on a buff logbook during the first couple of years in its life, so im curious if any of the V5's says "no keepers: since *date* " 

since Keeper counts normally did not transfer over from a vehicles Buff logbook to its V5, the DVLC put "number of keepers since" and then a date usually from when that vehicle was V5'ed, to say that the keeper count only goes back to that date (as such this date can also be handy for figuring out when your vehicle was computerised :) )

but I am still trying to figure out if modern V5's still make that distinction on ex buff logbook vehicles or not or if they dropped it, Iv seen a 2012~ V5 with it but nothing later so far

Dont have the old V5 I got with it, the Post Office man took it to send to DVLA when I went to get it changed to Historic Vehicle from PLG before taxing it. Otherwise according to the Post Office man, as it was still PLG, I would have had to pay 6 months (or a years) road tax. Our PO is one that normally does road tax, I have used them before, so I think he knows what he is talking about.  

"This V5" is the current one, I got it in June 2019, and it was then taxed.   It says: Former keepers;2 ; Was registered and/or used; Declared manufactured 1973. 

Its sorn now because there is so much wrong with it because previous owner fucked just about everything, whenever I look at it, I find more shit. I am not sure what to do with it. 

29 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

"This V5" is the current one, I got it in June 2019, and it was then taxed.   It says: Former keepers;2 ; Was registered and/or used; Declared manufactured 1973. 

ah thats what i was talking about in the special section, explains the Import/used on date of first registration marker

curious that it has one and the Declared manufactured 1973 bit is interesting as well, have to wonder if its year of manufacture was incorrectly recorded on the DVLA at some point and someone corrected it, but that should only get you a Declared Manufactured 1973 special note, so still leaves me to wonder where the Used on date of first registration marker came from then

its nothing to worry about really, just something I find curious thats all :) (as normally you only find these markers on either imports, or other such used vehicles being registered anew with the DVLA like Ex Military basically anything registered with the DVLA via a V55/5)

4 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Dont know why, when I put a single post up, it ALWAYS puts 2 up if there is a quote, or attachment, so I have to go in and delete the second one.  🤬

im not sure if its the same issue your having but I have noticed a similar a bug with the forum, where if im typing a response to a post thats on a previous page and im also on that previous page, I notice when I hit submit reply, the forum will post the response forward to the current page but it wont actually visually do anything, so you think you miss clicked the button etc so hit submit reply again, thinking you missed clicked only for it to post it a 2nd or 3rd time etc

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

That raises the question of whether Daimler was a marque in its own right at that point or just a specific model?

My Jaguar is 1966 at which time Jaguar Daimler become BMC. In 1966 you could still buy a proper Daimler Majestic Major or Jaguar badged engineered 250 V8 (Jaguar Mk 2) and Daimler Sovereign (Jaguar 420 pre XJ6). 

16 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

My Jaguar is 1966 at which time Jaguar Daimler become BMC. In 1966 you could still buy a proper Daimler Majestic Major or Jaguar badged engineered 250 V8 (Jaguar Mk 2) and Daimler Sovereign (Jaguar 420 pre XJ6). 

That makes everything clear!

Geek alert - BMC plus Jaguar/Daimler become British Motor Holdings not British Motor Corporation. 

The last car designed by Daimler was the SP250 sports car. 

Although there was a brief mad plan for a Vauxhall Cresta PA with the V8 and an ersatz Daimler front to replace the Conquest/Century models. 
Thankfully Jaguar stopped such nonsense. 

On 1/8/2021 at 3:36 PM, Six-cylinder said:

I have just had a look though my photos and last time I had it out was March 2019 when this picture was taken. 

IMG_20190313_132504 broad.jpg

Never really realised until looking at that photo quite how much E-Type DNA there is in the XJ-S styling wise...we really should get a photo of the two together sometime.

Today I visited my favourite garage and found Mark's personal Triumph 2000 estate has had its new nearside sill welded on. Lots still to do but as these were the guys who sorted out our Metro, Gamma and Trevi etc I sure it will get done.

Interesting new experience today when I stopped to collect fish and chips from a shop in New Bradwell, Milton Keynes and I was told to go back to my car when I had given my order. I was given a pager to tell me when to comeback.

IMG_20210112_113525 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_124203 broad.jpg

I got the 306 Cabriolet Dec 2019 and with the help of some friends have done 700 miles in the year I have had it. All that time I have being playing cambelt roulette with the thought that if I still want it in a years time I will get it done then.  I have always maintained my liking for the 306. Driven back to back with the VW Beetle convertible I would say there is not much to choose between them, but the looks of the Peugeot are truly outstanding while the VW is just interesting with an awkward hood.

Well it turns out it was ready for a cambelt, water pump and auxiliary belt with cracking on both belts. Also the water pump was had a weep. We did a service and MOT which required a couple of brake hoses and the exhaust repaired. They think they have solved the electric fan issue and have replaced a 40 amp fuse and it now it cuts in and out fine.

Some friends borrowed the car and as the radio was broken they kindly popped a spare one in they had. Pioneer I was impressed and it sounds good. The problem is the multi-colour RGB display with MIXTRAX EZ feature that proclaims it can make the colours dance. All I want is an easy to read display and not a distracting dancing display so I have down loaded a manual. 144 pages this is going to take a while and I can’t even visit my friends who gave it to me and get them to help.

What is wrong with my clock and outside temp gauge?

IMG_20210112_121233 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_121558 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_121607 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_121724 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_121728 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_123842 broad.jpg

IMG_20210112_123844 copy.jpg

40 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

What is wrong with my clock and outside temp gauge?

Don't know, but anything to do with disconnecting the battery for the work you've had done?

By the way - one of the cheeriest things on AS at the moment is seeing the 'what shall we do in 2021' bit to this thread - makes me think we might not spend the whole year stuck at home in grey gloom!