Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

Our drive at lunchtime today.

If anybody spotted the newcomer its not what you think. Yes there is a black MK4 Astra on my drive, I have not purchased it, just a kind loan from @Andyrew . So if you are cut up badly on a roundabout by it don't blame Andyrew as I am going to be driving it for a while.

IMG_20221006_125117 broad.jpg

IMG_20221006_125238 broad.jpg

A busy car afternoon with the help of @Slowsilver

Metro and Toledo have been taken to storage. To fit them in the Daimler Sovereign S1, Ami, GS and AX had to be started and moved. I think it is good to get them up to temperature once in a while.

A quick look at the interior of Mrs6C’s Volvo V70 T5 while I popped the new cam sensor and crank sensor inside in preparation to restarting it and fitting them to try and put out the pesky engine light. To be continued…….

The first inspection for putting up a shelve in the storage shed was done, but I forgot the ladder. I am not allowed to drill holes in the wall as it is rented and don’t want a free standing shelve unit because we are short of floor space. I am thinking about some wall plate strapping bent into a hook for the top of the concrete wall and a 90° bend to form a support for the shelve.

I was surprised to find the Toledo had a flat battery at the house, a jump and it was away but it had always started off its own battery before. It when into the dark end of the shed and I switched the engine off and noticed the radio was lit, it is not ignition switched and I had left it on with no volume for 2 ½ weeks!

The BMW 3.0S was taken from the FoD to the house garage to see what can be done with all the rust bubbles. Very ugly when I rubbed the paint bubbles! If anybody wanted to join me in the garage in the next few weeks I plan to go round the car rub back and use Rust Converter on all the bubbles.

IMG_20221006_153443 broad.jpg

IMG_20221006_132824 broad.jpg

IMG_20221006_151637 broad.jpg

IMG_20221006_154754 broad.jpg

IMG_20221006_200124 broad.jpg

IMG_20221006_195856 broad.jpg

I got my C reg Visa 17RD back today with a fresh MOT, just in time to put it away for the winter!

It needed a brake master cylinder, brake compensator and rear wheel cylinders. I had a couple of small rust holes that were cut out and new metal welded in.  It also had an aux belt.

IMG_20221012_132511 broad.jpg

IMG_20221006_165900 broad.jpg

P1100582 broad.jpg

I had a 17RD as a company car back in 1986-87. We had three on the company fleet, which meant a few races took place. With a bit of determined slipstreaming, and a favourable gradient, we used to get the speedo needles to point directly downwards. Also to improve grip we stuck 165 section tyres on the front. Those engines were indestructible.

120 kph is a nice cruising speed, fine at 130 kph if you are in a hurry. If in Germany and cars trying to get in front of the old slow car hold you up I will hold it flat out at about 150 kph. I feel confident the engine can take it, after all 50k delivery drivers in C15 vans can't be wrong!

P1360876 broad.jpg

46 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

I think the speedo went up to 90, so an indicated 100. Actual speed could be anywhere between 80 and 95 as there were not known for the accuracy back then.

PS Couldn't take a pic then as my mobile hadn't been invented back then.

It is common for the needle to curl up with heat and age and then would not they would not exceed 50 mph!

P1360877 broad.jpg

P1350750 broad.jpg