Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Black Beauty has been away with my friends who own the Accord (non Shiters), because they think making my filthy cars shine again is more fun than being stuck at home with nothing to do!

I also had bought some better condition wheels and they used two of them to improve the look, well it turns out one of there neighbours is a mobile tyre fitter!

100918567_2624048714536563_1311611664201678848_n broad.jpg

100745834_1103764403342407_6917251173321801728_n broad.jpg

IMG_20200525_195433 broad.jpg

On 5/21/2020 at 8:59 PM, AnthonyG said:

I’ve recovered now, what is the plan for the ‘float? 

Full-on restoration and then start a local home-made cider and obscure car parts delivery service?  Remake of that Father Ted episode? Or just going round and round the FoD until the batteries run out of juice?

Oh its your job to get it going again, didn't you get the memo? I'd stick a multimeter and some bits of wire in the boot when you next come over to the FoD... 

If your not driving round the field in it by sunset you've failed... 

24 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Oh its your job to get it going again, didn't you get the memo? I'd stick a multimeter and some bits of wire in the boot when you next come over to the FoD... 

If your not driving round the field in it by sunset you've failed... 

on a slightly more serious note, since she was driving before she arrived, while I don't know what she needs for road legality 

I doubt she needs much to get her running around the FoD  I doubt you need anything more then a 60V power source, so if you can find 5 12V car batteries that should get her going, but i don't think it would go for a particularly long time

car batteries are pretty weedy for this sort of thing!

you could also sling some sort of 60V generator/alternator/motor on the back powered by some sort of engine

which would turn it into a mini diesel-electric locomotive/traction engine basically! :)  

the only complication I could potentially see is she normally uses 30 2V cells and I dont know if any of those are tapped off at different voltages for whatever (I imagine at least 12V is tapped off or provided by an auxiliary battery for the lights and such)

on a slightly more serious note, since she was driving before she arrived, while I don't know what she needs for road legality 
I doubt she needs much to get her running around the FoD  I doubt you need anything more then a 60V power source, so if you can find 5 12V car batteries that should get her going, but i don't think it would go for a particularly long time
car batteries are pretty weedy for this sort of thing!
you could also sling some sort of 60V generator/alternator/motor on the back powered by some sort of engine
which would turn it into a mini diesel-electric locomotive/traction engine basically!   
the only complication I could potentially see is she normally uses 30 2V cells and I dont know if any of those are tapped off at different voltages for whatever (I imagine at least 12V is tapped off or provided by an auxiliary battery for the lights and such)
Surely a Jerry rigged wind turbine or solar panels would be the best bet..

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Surely a Jerry rigged wind turbine or solar panels would be the best bet..

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

given from what I have seen a typical milk float has a 8Kw-10kw motor or thereabouts drawing about 110A on flat level ground

that would have to be quite the beefy solar array/wind turbine! LOL

hopefully @Mrs6C can clue us into to Molly's exact specifications :) 

Groups of up to six people will be able to meet outside in England from Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

So small "Field of Dreams" gatherings are back on.

I with speak with Mrs6C and come up with a plan.

I think we can accommodate most people but not all on the same day.

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Groups of up to six people will be able to meet outside in England from Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

I’m still cautious. R is still high enough for another peak.

I’m still cautious. R is still high enough for another peak.

I’m afraid I tend to agree.
Although Boris has said we can do things, we still have the highest per capita death toll. This is far from over and I’m not sure what they have advised we can now do is actually safe.

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

oh yay! its nice to have some good news! :) 

(obviously if it turns out that things are deemed not safe for enough for a FoD gathering still then I fully understand that!)

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Also as much as I would like to play cars I won’t until after I can see my own family.

This. My dad and stepmum are fucking gagging to get out of their bungalow and I'm sure they'll be sat at the end of my garden soon enough next week... But not sure about the FoD... There's only so much space under the bonnet of insert_broken_car_here

8 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

But not sure about the FoD... There's only so much space under the bonnet of insert_broken_car_here

I dunno, you could line up 6 inoperable vehicles 2 meters apart, each shitter chooses their broken vehicle of choice

and the first shitter to get it doing laps round the FoD wins some sort of prize (a snow globe where the little particles inside are entirely made up of bits of flaking paint off the side of my Invacar? LOL)

like the Autoshite FoD version of a top gear challenge or something :mrgreen:

Well, I'm in the next county so kind of local. Although this week I've been in Wolverhampton, Bognor, and various places between, so I could be a massive walking vector, who knows?

Count me in anyway, YOLO etc...

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

how about something English with an engine the size of a suitcase, is that an ok compromise? :mrgreen:

Only if a workshop manual is available; never worked on anything air cooled and unfamiliarity, especially with another person’s car, would make me cautious. If Rev isn’t sorted by the time restrictions are more relaxed then I’d have a go with assistance, or assist someone who knows a bit more about the Steyr-Puch engine. My familiarity with the PSA suitcase (along with an Essex V6, Simca rattlebag and XUD) means I would be happy tinkering on my todd. Also Ford tractors.

Dollywobbler, Beko and a couple of other have raised a few good points; the prospect of getting away from Chichester and its stuffy old giffer population for a day gives me much excite though! July is more of a goer for me due to the birthdays coming up. Also gives us more time to see how the world is.

Look it's quite simple..If you're English you can mix in groups of 8 (outdoors) If you're Scottish its six...if you're Welsh, is any combination of people/sheep that amount to 8.  Or 6.but only if you're related ( or from Durham ) What could be simpler? Or it might be the other way round..? Either way its not particularly lethal..if your white ,skinny and smoke.

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Only if a workshop manual is available; never worked on anything air cooled and unfamiliarity, especially with another person’s car, would make me cautious. If Rev isn’t sorted by the time restrictions are more relaxed then I’d have a go with assistance, or assist someone who knows a bit more about the Steyr-Puch engine. My familiarity with the PSA suitcase (along with an Essex V6, Simca rattlebag and XUD) means I would be happy tinkering on my todd. Also Ford tractors.

Dollywobbler, Beko and a couple of other have raised a few good points; the prospect of getting away from Chichester and its stuffy old giffer population for a day gives me much excite though! July is more of a goer for me due to the birthdays coming up. Also gives us more time to see how the world is.

DHSS Workshop Manual For The Model 70 Three Wheeler(OCR).pdf

et voila! 

but thankfully tho none of REVs "major" issues are with her drivetrain, apart from me wanting to do a general servicing/fluid change and carb cleaning I dont think any work needs doing on her engine (and id also like to go through all the grease/lube points etc if possible :)

the main issues that need sorting with REV is sorting the brakes, which is just normal 7 inch girling stuff to which Im pretty sure I thankfully have all new hardware to hand in the spares stash if needed :) (apart from actual brake line and some other small bits and bobs but nothing that I/we cant get from local motor factors or such)

second thing is sorting out her fuel system, @Mrs6C very kindly has already got REV's fuel tank out, so all that needs doing there is hopefully a quick cleaning up of the tank, patching of any pin holes or such if there are any (thankfully there's no visible rust holes like I feared) and then simply running new fuel line which is just a straight line from the tank through some chassis members to the fuel pump (via one of those inline filters of course) in the rear, and dropping the tank back in, again I have the suitable fuel hose filter and hose clamps "on hand" (assuming @Six-cylinder / @Mrs6C have not pinched them for something else! :) )

and of finally the last major thing is she very much needs new tyres!

other smaller things include sorting out some slight electrical niggles (she is a fibreglass car after all!) main thing there is getting all the indicators, that one pesky rear light and the horn working, which im hoping will be a just a case of cleaning up some bad grounds and or replacing simple component etc

id also like to swap her head lamps out for some H4 units, her current ones work but the lenses are cracked and the reflectors are pretty sad, so I dont think they would be up for much good in the real world!

so yeah nothing major in the scheme of things hopefully! (main thing im worried about is making sure the braking system is working as it should, otherwise the rest is relatively small fry I think)

but yeah I fully understand if you don't feel comfortable working on her etc I appreciate the thought regardless :) 

9 hours ago, Christine said:

if you're Welsh, is any combination of people/sheep that amount to 8.

Except we're limited to within a 5 mile radius of home, so sadly, aaahm ooout. Although I'm allowed to drive 40 miles and mix with hundreds of people at work, who ignore the social distancing :-(

Anyway, I hope the lucky 6 have a good, safe time. It would minimise any risk of spread if after the gathering, everyone avoided contact with others for a few days, just in case they had become infected.

12 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

how about something English with an engine the size of a suitcase, is that an ok compromise? :mrgreen:

Buy a car and a tent for your mum.

tools, first aid kit and headcam for yourself. 

Get to the FoD, live stream group chat to the Autoshite font of knowledge and you'll be done within a few weekends. 

Job jobbed ???????

34 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I've just re read this and I'd be very up for sitting in my chair 2m away from anyone else chatting for an afternoon! 

I can give you the ZX to polish (again) too, if you get bored of tea and chat! :-)

Much as I'd love to come along, the advice from the most medically knowledgeable person in the house (who also happens to work for one of the group's responsible for collating the data on this situation) is "Don't even think about it" so that's me (forcibly) told.

If you do go ahead it should be relatively straightforward to minimise the risks. I think the two golden rules would be:

1. Maintain at least the two metre distancing at all times.

2. Once you have handled something it is exclusively yours for the day.

Maybe you could start with a one day session rather than a whole weekend. With the above in mind I would suggest the following:

One person opens the gate, leaves it open so that nobody else needs to touch it, then closes it at the end of the day.
Cars parked maybe 3 or 4 metres apart. You have plenty of room to do this.
Everyone brings their own food and drink.
Each person picks a chair from the untouched pile up there, places it at least 2 metres (or preferably more) from any others, then uses the same chair all day and puts it back at the end.
Each person / family group picks a vehicle to tinker with and sticks with it, moving it away from any others being worked on if necessary.
We all bring and use only our own tools.
We don't use the toilet.
We have gloves and hand sanitiser available.

Then if we leave the next session for at least a week any infection left up there should have died off.

Assuming these conditions can be met the Silvers would be up for a visit. It is only about 4 miles away from us anyway, so no long-distance travel involved. If it wasn't for bringing tools and stuff we could walk it!