Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Wanted trailer ramps, has anybody got anything to sell?

Black beauty is back!

Fresh MOT after new front shocker, CV boots, MAF and bulb failure warning sorted.

Now we have 7 fully working MOTed, taxed and insured cars on our drive, the question is how we are going to share out the 20 miles per week we are currently driving!

IMG_20210113_142555 broad.jpg

IMG_20210113_142845 broad.jpg

The XM had sat for two weeks and when Mrs6C went to use it it had a dead battery. I have had concerns the battery was at the end of its life so instead of just charging it I decided to put a new battery on the car and then I will know if it goes flat again we have a discharge or charging problem. I will recharge the battery from the car now and then I have a load discharge tester to see how it is.

The problem is the + battery clamp has broken and there are four wires to the terminal. I can not see any terminals on eBay that look a good fit.

IMG_20210117_120644 broad.jpg

16 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

I have ordered the + version of that and will give it a go.

Wanted trailer ramps, has anybody got anything to sell?

Thinking ahead with some optimism that we will be able to play with the cars in the spring I would like to get some proper ramps for Mrs6C's Timmy car trailer. I am thinking they need to about 6 ft (2m) long.

I do have a new hand winch ready to fit.

P1350905 crop.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Wanted trailer ramps, has anybody got anything to sell?

Assuming you want to keep said trailer, and want something that works, it may be much easier/better to make some ramps specifically for it, then have them galvanised.  Probably cost a bit more than some existing ones, but at least they will work properly with the trailer, and will last forever.

3 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Assuming you want to keep said trailer, and want something that works, it may be much easier/better to make some ramps specifically for it, then have them galvanised.  Probably cost a bit more than some existing ones, but at least they will work properly with the trailer, and will last forever.

I have been looking some more and found these for sale at £120. What do you think?

Car ramps.jpg

32 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Will they clip on to the trailer is the biggest question.

Also, is there somewhere on the trailer that they will store?

Other than that, they look good.

Looking at the picture there is a chance for them to clip on.

Mrs6C wants it altered for an Invacar to use it so a ramp store can be included in that.

I was really looking for a cheaper solution, but using present car ramps and bits of wood is going to end up with an accident.

IMG_20200915_125148 crop ramp mount.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Mrs6C wants it altered for an Invacar to use it so a ramp store can be included in that.

glad im not the only one who was thinking that LOL 

on that front, I wonder if it would be worth finding the same model of trailer or similar that is in scrap condition and pillaging one of the, uhhh whatever you call the bits the wheels of whatever vehicle your transporting sit on

(I know on a normal trailer thats called the load bed, but not sure if its still called that on car trailers where its split in 2 one for each side of the car)

and sticking it in the middle of the good trailer therefor giving a 3rd "rail" (hopefully not electrified in this case!) making it suitable for 3 wheelers :)

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

glad im not the only one who was thinking that LOL 

on that front, I wonder if it would be worth finding the same model of trailer or similar that is in scrap condition and pillaging one of the, uhhh whatever you call the bits the wheels of whatever vehicle your transporting sit on

(I know on a normal trailer thats called the load bed, but not sure if its still called that on car trailers where its split in 2 one for each side of the car)

and sticking it in the middle of the good trailer therefor giving a 3rd "rail" (hopefully not electrified!) making it suitable for 3 wheelers :)

I have been thinking about a mesh deck for lightness. With a filled in light deck it will also be useful for carrying other things without adding too much weight.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

the same model of trailer or similar

Looking at the pictures, that looks very much like a home-brew trailer to me.  Certainly it's made from standard sections of steel, so rather than needing to find one, it's just as easy (if not much easier) just to fabricate something up.

Given the popularity* of invacars at the moment, I did wonder about making a trailer for them.  It would be very easy to do.  Could be single axle, and (depending on the kerb weight of an invacar, which I don't know) might even be able to be unbraked.  It wouldn't be a lot more than a motorcycle trailer, and they're dead simple to make.

20 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Looking at the pictures, that looks very much like a home-brew trailer to me.  Certainly it's made from standard sections of steel, so rather than needing to find one, it's just as easy (if not much easier) just to fabricate something up.

Given the popularity* of invacars at the moment, I did wonder about making a trailer for them.  It would be very easy to do.  Could be single axle, and (depending on the kerb weight of an invacar, which I don't know) might even be able to be unbraked.  It wouldn't be a lot more than a motorcycle trailer, and they're dead simple to make.

I think Mrs6C said it was made for an MGB.

There is a steel mesh that looks like it is stretched strips and forms diamonds that I am sure will support its share of the 410 kg Invacar.

51 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

410 kg Invacar.

Blimey is that it?

I may have to look at a design for a 300-ish KG three-wheeler trailer.  Could be very simple indeed:  Only needs one full-length runner (for the front wheel) and then two short stubs for the rear wheels.  It needn't have brakes, could be towed by most people even with a post-97 licence, and could easily be designed for quick/easy loading and unloading.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

Blimey is that it?

I may have to look at a design for a 300-ish KG three-wheeler trailer.  Could be very simple indeed:  Only needs one full-length runner (for the front wheel) and then two short stubs for the rear wheels.  It needn't have brakes, could be towed by most people even with a post-97 licence, and could easily be designed for quick/easy loading and unloading.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Just convert Mrs6C's Timmy trailer to carry an Invacar to start you off! 

4 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Just convert Mrs6C's Timmy trailer to carry an Invacar to start you off! 

I honestly think it would be quicker and easier, maybe even cheaper too, to design and build something new.

Having a think about this one.

Edit:  anyone know what the clearance height is for the front bumper and front wings is on an invacar (height from ground to bodywork)

Edit2: Also, is there any information as to the weight distribution?  I'm guessing it's remarkably rear heavy, but have no data.