Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

32 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Will they clip on to the trailer is the biggest question.

Also, is there somewhere on the trailer that they will store?

Other than that, they look good.

Looking at the picture there is a chance for them to clip on.

Mrs6C wants it altered for an Invacar to use it so a ramp store can be included in that.

I was really looking for a cheaper solution, but using present car ramps and bits of wood is going to end up with an accident.

IMG_20200915_125148 crop ramp mount.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Mrs6C wants it altered for an Invacar to use it so a ramp store can be included in that.

glad im not the only one who was thinking that LOL 

on that front, I wonder if it would be worth finding the same model of trailer or similar that is in scrap condition and pillaging one of the, uhhh whatever you call the bits the wheels of whatever vehicle your transporting sit on

(I know on a normal trailer thats called the load bed, but not sure if its still called that on car trailers where its split in 2 one for each side of the car)

and sticking it in the middle of the good trailer therefor giving a 3rd "rail" (hopefully not electrified in this case!) making it suitable for 3 wheelers :)

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

glad im not the only one who was thinking that LOL 

on that front, I wonder if it would be worth finding the same model of trailer or similar that is in scrap condition and pillaging one of the, uhhh whatever you call the bits the wheels of whatever vehicle your transporting sit on

(I know on a normal trailer thats called the load bed, but not sure if its still called that on car trailers where its split in 2 one for each side of the car)

and sticking it in the middle of the good trailer therefor giving a 3rd "rail" (hopefully not electrified!) making it suitable for 3 wheelers :)

I have been thinking about a mesh deck for lightness. With a filled in light deck it will also be useful for carrying other things without adding too much weight.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

the same model of trailer or similar

Looking at the pictures, that looks very much like a home-brew trailer to me.  Certainly it's made from standard sections of steel, so rather than needing to find one, it's just as easy (if not much easier) just to fabricate something up.

Given the popularity* of invacars at the moment, I did wonder about making a trailer for them.  It would be very easy to do.  Could be single axle, and (depending on the kerb weight of an invacar, which I don't know) might even be able to be unbraked.  It wouldn't be a lot more than a motorcycle trailer, and they're dead simple to make.

20 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Looking at the pictures, that looks very much like a home-brew trailer to me.  Certainly it's made from standard sections of steel, so rather than needing to find one, it's just as easy (if not much easier) just to fabricate something up.

Given the popularity* of invacars at the moment, I did wonder about making a trailer for them.  It would be very easy to do.  Could be single axle, and (depending on the kerb weight of an invacar, which I don't know) might even be able to be unbraked.  It wouldn't be a lot more than a motorcycle trailer, and they're dead simple to make.

I think Mrs6C said it was made for an MGB.

There is a steel mesh that looks like it is stretched strips and forms diamonds that I am sure will support its share of the 410 kg Invacar.

51 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

410 kg Invacar.

Blimey is that it?

I may have to look at a design for a 300-ish KG three-wheeler trailer.  Could be very simple indeed:  Only needs one full-length runner (for the front wheel) and then two short stubs for the rear wheels.  It needn't have brakes, could be towed by most people even with a post-97 licence, and could easily be designed for quick/easy loading and unloading.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

Blimey is that it?

I may have to look at a design for a 300-ish KG three-wheeler trailer.  Could be very simple indeed:  Only needs one full-length runner (for the front wheel) and then two short stubs for the rear wheels.  It needn't have brakes, could be towed by most people even with a post-97 licence, and could easily be designed for quick/easy loading and unloading.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Just convert Mrs6C's Timmy trailer to carry an Invacar to start you off! 

4 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Just convert Mrs6C's Timmy trailer to carry an Invacar to start you off! 

I honestly think it would be quicker and easier, maybe even cheaper too, to design and build something new.

Having a think about this one.

Edit:  anyone know what the clearance height is for the front bumper and front wings is on an invacar (height from ground to bodywork)

Edit2: Also, is there any information as to the weight distribution?  I'm guessing it's remarkably rear heavy, but have no data.

Unloading at the other end would be the issue. 

But With practice, Loading at the fields easy. 

Screenshot_20210117-222703.jpg.9b16fe3ae244bcad46afb969737c29f6.jpg

Failing that , the waffle board material may be a good start.  4 strips,  end to end with a length of angle section down either side would make a simple ramp.  But, costs soon come pretty close to buying those used already made ones. 

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Edit:  anyone know what the clearance height is for the front bumper and front wings is on an invacar (height from ground to bodywork)

Edit2: Also, is there any information as to the weight distribution?  I'm guessing it's remarkably rear heavy, but have no data.

48 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Are you sure?  I think the existing wheel runners might be too far apart for the rear track of the invacar.

lets see :)

ground clearance on a Model 70 (unladen) is 8 inches (which is probably better then most SUVs these days amusingly LOL)

and the weight distribution is about 50-50, 50% on the rear left wheel and 50% on the rear right wheel LOL (I dont know the exact figures sadly but they are pretty much all of the weight over the rear wheels)

track of a Model 70 is 45.69 inches (about the same as Mini IIRC)

but the Villiers machines are narrower, an Invacar Mk12 has track of 40 inches (I sadly dont know the exact figures for any other Villiers machine)

4 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Unloading at the other end would be the issue. 

But With practice, Loading at the fields easy. 

Screenshot_20210117-222703.jpg.9b16fe3ae244bcad46afb969737c29f6.jpg

Failing that , the waffle board material may be a good start.  4 strips,  end to end with a length of angle section down either side would make a simple ramp.  But, costs soon come pretty close to buying those used already made ones. 

I am going to film you loading your Suzuki!

The off road waffle boards I have are very heavy and I would want something lighter. 

Dukes 01 copy.jpg

20 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

track of a Model 70 is 45.69 inches (about the same as Mini IIRC)

Mini is something like 47 inches, so yes very close indeed.

With the Model 70 being 1160mm track, you then have to take off two half-tyre widths to get the gap inbetween runners on a trailer.  Technically 1035mm, but realistically (as you can't really load a car millimeter perfect) you need a maximum of a meter between runners.

It's difficult to tell from a digital photo, but the runners on that trailer look quite a bit more than a meter apart.  The track on an MGB is 1250mm, so if the runners are a bit close to the dimensions of the track of an MGB, an Invacar might not fit.

20 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Mini is something like 47 inches, so yes very close indeed.

With the Model 70 being 1160mm track, you then have to take off two half-tyre widths to get the gap inbetween runners on a trailer.  Technically 1035mm, but realistically (as you can't really load a car millimeter perfect) you need a maximum of a meter between runners.

It's difficult to tell from a digital photo, but the runners on that trailer look quite a bit more than a meter apart.  The track on an MGB is 1250mm, so if the runners are a bit close to the dimensions of the track of an MGB, an Invacar might not fit.

This is the only Vehicle we have had on it so far.

IMG_20200915_111222 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, camryv6 said:

Do you two not talk to each other in the house ?

It has been noted before and we have used this Forum as a method of communication because even after business hours we tend to do stuff in our own studies and Mrs6C is in the upstairs of the old part of the house and me downstairs in the new part of the house. Sometimes we meet in the kitchen, but not always! 

2 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

It has been noted before and we have used this Forum as a method of communication because even after business hours we tend to do stuff in our own studies and Mrs6C is in the upstairs of the old part of the house and me downstairs in the new part of the house. Sometimes we meet in the kitchen, but not always! 

I thought you would have staff to bring you food ?

Toledo SORN update

I got an email to say call DVLA so I did, the lady says she can see where I had SORNed the Toledo and got the successful reply. She says will make sure I get no more letters threatening to fine me.

I never answered the phone when they called me because currently we are getting 3/4 unwelcome calls a day, all sorts of country codes including USA  and Norway. Who called web site says dangerous about some of them. I think the DVLA ones were the "unknown number" that I will not answer.

d9XMwXV.jpg

14 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

When you say meet? Is that a Euphemism? In the kitchen ? I hope you are keeping all the work surfaces clean? 

Oh...how...... My mind is working today.