Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

13 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

The Beetle looks interesting and I like the retro styling, but I think  it is the Peugeot that takes it for looks, just stunning.

IMG_20191228_112235 broad v2.jpg

I remember a picture of one of these appearing on the front cover of a What Car? magazine from the mid 1990s and thinking how utterly gorgeous the styling is. I assume Pininfarina styled this? 

OK not a difficult guess, but yes I am delighted to say with the encouragement of Mrs6C who called me Scrooge, because I would not pay Ken his minimum price and would have missed out on this beauty we have bought the @purplebargeken red Toledo 1300 2 door project car. Wings delivered it this very day.

Wings and Mrs6C drove it around the yard and it seems to have adequate performance, but I am concerned if it will have enough performance on the 70 mph Tingewick bypass with this arrangement.

My association with Toledos goes back a fair way as my driving school car was a Toledo 4 door in white. I have also driven another Toledo but that was a while ago as well so I am really looking forward to driving this one.

IMG_20201222_090143 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090151 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090621 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090752 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090827 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_091127 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_091159 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090930 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_091106 broad.jpg

3 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

I have always been a hopeless judge of character.

You are not wrong with Dolomites, back in 1979 I had started work and was driving into London every day and my student Vitesse run on a shoe string soon fell apart doing 3500 miles a month. I arranged a bank loan and started looking for a Dolomite 1850 but stumbled on a 50k Vitesse Mk2 and bought that without the need for a loan instead.

A year and 40,00 miles later my replacement Vitesse was on its knees so back to "plan A" borrow some money and get a Dolomite 1850. Well I borrowed the money but could not find a Dolomite I liked but needed a car quickly so bought a 1975 VW Passat TS.

Later I had a brand new Citroen ZX Turbo Diesel and had to lead a Spitfire Mk4 and Dolomite to an alterative Triumph Club venue up the Heads of the Valley road. We were short of time to meet the rest of the group so I set off at a fair pace concerned the Triumphs would not be able to keep up, but they did so I increased the pace more and more until the ZX was balls out still with a Spitfire containing a 3 legged dog and Dolomite up my chuff! Turns out the Spitfire had a Sprint engine and the Dolomite was a Sprint tuned to 170 bhp.

Somehow Dolomites has just evaded me, but maybe one day.

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

You are not wrong with Dolomites, back in 1979 I had started work and was driving into London every day and my student Vitesse run on a shoe string soon fell apart doing 3500 miles a month. I arranged a bank loan and started looking for a Dolomite 1850 but stumbled on a 50k Vitesse Mk2 and bought that without the need for a loan instead.

A year and 40,00 miles later my replacement Vitesse was on its knees so back to "plan A" borrow some money and get a Dolomite 1850. Well I borrowed the money but could not find a Dolomite I liked but needed a car quickly so bought a 1975 VW Passat TS.

Later I had a brand new Citroen ZX Turbo Diesel and had to lead a Spitfire Mk4 and Dolomite to an alterative Triumph Club venue up the Heads of the Valley road. We were short of time to meet the rest of the group so I set off at a fair pace concerned the Triumphs would not be able to keep up, but they did so I increased the pace more and more until the ZX was balls out still with a Spitfire containing a 3 legged dog and Dolomite up my chuff! Turns out the Spitfire had a Sprint engine and the Dolomite was a Sprint tuned to 170 bhp.

Somehow Dolomites has just evaded me, but maybe one day.

100% loony :D

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

OK not a difficult guess, but yes I am delighted to say with the encouragement of Mrs6C who called me Scrooge, because I would not pay Ken his minimum price and would have missed out on this beauty we have bought the @purplebargeken red Toledo 1300 2 door project car. Wings delivered it this very day.

Wings and Mrs6C drove it around the yard and it seems to have adequate performance, but I am concerned if it will have enough performance on the 70 mph Tingewick bypass with this arrangement.

My association with Toledos goes back a fair way as my driving school car was a Toledo 4 door in white. I have also driven another Toledo but that was a while ago as well so I am really looking forward to driving this one.

IMG_20201222_090143 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090151 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090621 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090752 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090827 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_091127 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_091159 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090930 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_091106 broad.jpg

More pics in one post than Ken’s entire AS career.

Well done Team Cylinder!

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

very awesome stuff! I did not realise this one actually ran and drove

I hope its available/working at whenever the next FoD gathering happens, I have been quite eager to give a typical1950s-1970's British 4 wheeler a go, and this looks like it would fit the bill nicely :) 

unless by adequate performance your referring to the combined horsepower of Mrs6c and Wings pushing it!

13 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

very awesome stuff! I did not realise this one actually ran and drove

It doesn't... yet...

13 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

unless by adequate performance your referring to the combined horsepower of Mrs6c and Wings pushing it!

Indeed! I think we did rather well.

Dolomites and Toledos handle and go surprisingly well. In 1988 I bought a 1500 HL with the head gasket leaking for £150 to replace a Mini. After fixing it we went for a drive up around the Golden Valley and had quite a dice with a standard Alfasud on the twisty bits, neither of us being able to pull away.  I only moderated the pace when I noticed that my brother, in the back seat, had a totally green face with his head stuck out of the window. Next day I had a total brake failure as the back axle metal pipe had been made way too long and had rubbed through. I would have gone straight through a Herefordshire hedge if it had happened 24 hours earlier. It was a great car and sold for £300 after the best part of 2 years.

I have put Lots of our cars away under cover now for the winter so what are we driving:

Me

Citroen XM 2.0 16v SX Auto

VW Beetle convertible

Alfa 156 V6 Veloce saloon

L405

Mrs6C

Mercedes W124 200TE Auto

Citroen ZX TD Avantage Estate

Alfa 156 V6 Veloce Sportswagon

Citroen C15 van

In the End of year Tat Accounts thread is our buying/selling year with photos but here is a summery.

Against all the odds of 2020, with Mrs6C’s help I still had a good year of buying cars and managed 8. Now the war cry to myself at the beginning of the year was buy as many as you like BUT sell at least that many. We have also seen the return of the BMW E36 323i sport coupe, originally mine in 2014 I passed it to my son who has now passed it back as he is abroad.  So another year where we have ended up with 3 more cars than we started with, it can’t go on.

IN – 9 – and why

L405 – I guess I better own up to it.

Visa Cabriolet – I had been asked to find a new home for it and Mrs6C thought it was a good idea to take it on herself so answering a call from the seller just said YES, while I was planning to help find a new owner! A huge thanks to Aldo135 for all his help

Rover 216 SLi auto – I have always liked the R8, low cost from a trusted shiter and the chance to try an auto with a Honda engine.

Renault 11 Automatic – I loved the colour and how unusual and rot free it was.

Peugeot 406 2.2 HDi Coupe – I have always loved the shape. Low cost and delivered to my door in one hour after agreeing to buy it.

Maestro City X 1.3 – I had a secret desire for a Maestro and then a friend asked me if I wanted to save a local Maestro as the owner had passed away. With the help of Slowsilver we soon had it running.

Triumph Toledo - I had one as my driving school car, otherwise it makes no sense at all.

VW Beetle Convertible - I have been curious what a modernish Beetle is like so when a convertible came up for on the forum I knew it was the right time to buy because it’s winter, getting dark around 4pm, is cold and wet and we are now in tier 4 lockdown!

+ the return of the BMW E36 323i Coupe – I passed it to my son who went abroad and asked if his friend could have it as he loved the car and I agreed to that.  Unfortunately his friend can no longer look after it so it has returned to me.

OUT – 6 – and why

2004 Range Rover TD6 Vogue – While still running, very broken and rusty

Rover 216 SLi Auto – I paid, taxed and insured it, got the V5C in my name and as it was the beginning of lockdown no. 1 agreed to collect it later. It became obvious that train travel was not desirable and took HMC’s offer to buy it back. Shame I did fancy it.

Peugeot 406 HDi – While the 2.2 Diesel propelled it well enough it did not excite me. Silver made the car look dull and the special edition wheels looked odd. When another shiter wanted one just like this I let it go. Maybe I should have held onto it for longer as I still desire one, V6 first choice but a 2.2 petrol would be interesting, hold on who am I kidding any one will do if it is cheap!

Renault 11 Automatic – 1.4 with Auto was a little slow for my taste, but it was the lack of power steering that made me rehome it. Also I had nowhere inside to keep it for the winter.

Oltcit – Sitting outside for 3 years after the under bonnet fire made it a very sad looking car. The trouble was while I liked the fact it was rare and unusual, I preferred driving my Visa diesel which did not give me the incentive to get it fixed. When a new and enthusiastic owner offered to give it an indoor home that seemed the best thing to do.

Maestro City X 1.3 – I had done my bit and rescued it. I got it a fresh MOT but decided in the end 1.3 4 speed was not for me.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 9 in and 6 out