Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Both cars under the covers have been identified!
On 21/10/2020 at 19:03, AnthonyG said:

@SlowsilverThe dashboard in all post 87 Maestros is a Montego one.
From memory by there was  a very half-arsed refresh of the Maestro in late 87 or spring 88 and the Montego dash was a major part of that.  I assume all switchgear, controls on this one is all Montego as well. 

I have a HBOL for Montego 2.0, if you need any scans. Or you/Chris can have it if it helps. Let me know and I will chuck in the post.

the original multi piece dash was replaced with montego dash in early '86, the metro/montego style clocks replaced the fibre optic dials around '85- green dash lighting on all

the roverised montego dash came around '90/91- orange lit

the clock in 6cs car are the later nippon seiki unit- round trip reset, smooth dial face

earlier lucas cluster has oblong reset button which can be a pita to use & complex dial faces designed to be removeable with needles in place

city & city-x lost the electronic carb of bASe

9 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

the original multi piece dash was replaced with montego dash in early '86, the metro/montego style clocks replaced the fibre optic dials around '85- green dash lighting on all

the roverised montego dash came around '90/91- orange lit

the clock in 6cs car are the later nippon seiki unit- round trip reset, smooth dial face

earlier lucas cluster has oblong reset button which can be a pita to use & complex dial faces designed to be removeable with needles in place

city & city-x lost the electronic carb of bASe

The Maestro is away for MOT at the moment and then we can consider what to do with it next with the temp and fuel gauges.

IMG_20201021_135156 broad.jpg

According to the wiring diagrams I have seen, the fuel gauge on 6C's Maestro is driven by a conventional variable-resistor sensor but the temperature gauge is driven by some sort of electronic temperature control unit. However, since neither of them work I suspect the common supply, which is usually supplied by an electronic voltage regulator, is faulty or disconnected. The problem is that on all the wiring diagrams I have found this supply is shown as going via one of the PCB tracks to a pin on an unidentified connector (presumably one of the two that plug into the dashboard) which then goes nowhere, and I can see no sign of anything that could be a voltage-regulated supply elsewhere on the diagrams.

31 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

According to the wiring diagrams I have seen, the fuel gauge on 6C's Maestro is driven by a conventional variable-resistor sensor but the temperature gauge is driven by some sort of electronic temperature control unit. However, since neither of them work I suspect the common supply, which is usually supplied by an electronic voltage regulator, is faulty or disconnected. The problem is that on all the wiring diagrams I have found this supply is shown as going via one of the PCB tracks to a pin on an unidentified connector (presumably one of the two that plug into the dashboard) which then goes nowhere, and I can see no sign of anything that could be a voltage-regulated supply elsewhere on the diagrams.

OK, all the individual words are familiar, but... 🤔😉

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

If you can wait till December 3rd I'm happy to have a dig through that for you.  With a bit of patience a notepad and a meter it shouldn't be too hard to work out.  It's a pretty simple panel.

I had to fix pretty much exactly this fault on my first Metro (which has the same panel) so hopefully memory will be helpful too...Yes I do enjoy this type of job.

Plus I honestly don't think I've ever driven - or for that matter possibly even sat in a Maestro.  More Metros than you can shake a stick at, boss at the garage loved his Montego estates (this was when you could hardly give them away so the value for money was off the chart), but Maestro and Mini are two notable exceptions.