Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

That brickwork on those arches looks great, not often you see that sort of detailing on new builds!

When completed, the idea is that it will look like the farmstead, its barn and cow yard have been there since the  1830s, with some 'modern' additions added in the 1880s like the iron-framed, tin-roofed 'Dutch' haybarn!

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - New photo for the what is it quiz!
22 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I was going to say Nova kit car, but with the new shot I reckon Lotus Elan M100?

Yes Lotus Elan M100.

When I glanced back at it with its cover on it looked so unidentifiable I thought even an Autoshiter will not get that!

And yes I will send Smarties.

My friend Derek's car. It has developed a misfire which has been diagnosed as an injector that are very difficult to reach.

IMG_20201120_124037 broad.jpg

IMG_20201120_123939 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

I hope it didn't land in the Thames! :-)

I was gonna say, ill let you know when it rolls by my window :) 

(which would be very impressive given im 3 stories up! although I am by a main road thats a nice long straight so we have the odd speeding boy racer type go past every now and then so I guess it could get fired at my window after it smashes into one them!)

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - What car under the cover quiz revealed!

Dammit.  Though to be fair, she does need at the least a set of carb gaskets (or at least something better than decomposed newspaper which is what what's in there currently looks like) - and it's entirely possible the idle mixture is miles off given I couldn't seem to get it to behave...but I hadn't even thought about the ignition system.  I reckon it may well have ended up way too rich as it was behaving like the car was running lean.

Which given I had similar symptoms behaving like fuel starvation presented by my last Saab when I had issues with the rotor arm *should* have rang alarm bells for me when I couldn't trim it out with the mixture screw.  I just got hung up on that bloody metering solenoid.

I reckon once the weather improves in the spring I need a Round 2 with that car.  Especially now I know the ignition system is suspect...I do at least have the equipment to actually test both HT and LT systems and have a realtime trace of what they're doing displayed, so getting to the bottom of it shouldn't be *too* difficult.  There's not a huge amount to the system (coil, ballast resistor (pretty sure I remember seeing one on the side of the coil), distributor, rotor, either hall effect or optical chopper, ignition amp, HT leads and plugs...that's about it) so once we can see what it's actually doing hopefully it shouldn't be hugely difficult to narrow it down.  I'm assuming this uses electronic coil switching rather than having points with it being a fairly high performance car...if she's running points it's even easier as that eliminates the ignition amp as a possible cause. 

10 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Dammit.  Though to be fair, she does need at the least a set of carb gaskets (or at least something better than decomposed newspaper which is what what's in there currently looks like) - and it's entirely possible the idle mixture is miles off given I couldn't seem to get it to behave...but I hadn't even thought about the ignition system.  I reckon it may well have ended up way too rich as it was behaving like the car was running lean.

Which given I had similar symptoms behaving like fuel starvation presented by my last Saab when I had issues with the rotor arm *should* have rang alarm bells for me when I couldn't trim it out with the mixture screw.  I just got hung up on that bloody metering solenoid.

I reckon once the weather improves in the spring I need a Round 2 with that car.  Especially now I know the ignition system is suspect...I do at least have the equipment to actually test both HT and LT systems and have a realtime trace of what they're doing displayed, so getting to the bottom of it shouldn't be *too* difficult.  There's not a huge amount to the system (coil, ballast resistor (pretty sure I remember seeing one on the side of the coil), distributor, rotor, either hall effect or optical chopper, ignition amp, HT leads and plugs...that's about it) so once we can see what it's actually doing hopefully it shouldn't be hugely difficult to narrow it down.  I'm assuming this uses electronic coil switching rather than having points with it being a fairly high performance car...if she's running points it's even easier as that eliminates the ignition amp as a possible cause. 

The ignition system now has new HT leads, cap and rotor. There is a clue in the photo of the cap why it would not start after the HT leads were changed. It starts easily now cold or hot.

IMG_20201119_140803 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - A new what car under the cover quiz!
3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

What, you were going so fast you couldn't stop!

All that additional momentum from carrying what felt like a metric tonne of rubber in the boot.  For a 9x16 tyre, it's absolutely massive.

3 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

I hope it didn't land in the Thames! :-)

No, but it got perilously close to the english channel (as a percentage of it's overall journey that is.)