Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Can you pull the injectors and give them a clean and new seals? Took 10 minutes on the Volvo, but it doesn't have a fuel rail to deal with - still quick though. You can crank with the injector aiming into a jar to see if fuel is being sprayed, too.

I have ordered the Noid test kit so I will check for a signal and them if that is ok I will take the injectors out. (when I say I, my friend will probably help, he did sell the car to my late father in 1993 and it is faulty already!)

Judging from the underbonnet picture earlier in the thread, it looks like Bosch Motronic 1.3 management to me - I assume this is a CAT equipped car and has a lambda? Rare beast in the UK if so, as most were non-CAT.

Non-CAT cars are as in the quote above (although it's Bosch rather than Magneti Marelli) but yours clearly isn't MP3.1 due to the AFM in the picture, plus the inlet manifold is different on the non-CAT XU9J2 engine.

Given that it'll run on easy start, you've presumably got spark and thus the crank sensor, ECU etc are working as spark is controlled by the same ECU as the injection.

Sticky or gummed up injectors are possible, I've seen it before on XU engines that have sat for a prolonged period. A sharp tap with a spanner whilst cranking over will often free them off, otherwise those injectors are comparatively easily sources as they're used on various XU9 engines, some Volvos and a few other cars. I should have a set somewhere if needs be.

One thing that's worth checking is the wiring. I've not seen the loom for a late 8v BX GTi, but the wiring on BX 16v's is a joke, with the injection part of the loom connected to the main engine management loom through an unsealed wiring plug that ends up corroding and giving a bad connection. It's possible that the injector pins on that are grotty, assuming that your loom is built in a similar manner.

If you don't have any luck, I'm happy to cast an eye over it when I'm next up Buckingham way and I've got various spares for that engine/management :)

I have just checked with my friend who helped me put fresh fuel in it and it is an unleaded only fuel filler neck so it must be a Cat car.

I would love somebody who knows more than me to have a look over it, but the car is still at my mothers house in Princess Risborough.

I'm sure that we can work something out - give me a good excuse to head over to catch up with some friends in Aylesbury that I've not seen in a while :)

So you can jeer and laugh at me come this time next year I am going to confess to all the Project cars that are going to be worked on 2017. The aim is all these cars should be MOTed and useable by the end of 2017, but I am not that fussy about paint work.

1984 MG Metro - all welding done engine refitted 2016, now needs wings fitted and MOT stuff like Brakes etc. The garage who have it plan to give it back in the spring MOTed so I can use it for the summer, then I will get it painted next winter.

1974 Peugeot 504 Cabriolet – it has been painted and is currently in a trim shop in Witney where it has been for nearly 3 years waiting leather repairs, hood and carpets. It was made to run but because the Kugelfischer injection that does not like sitting about probably will need work again and then the usual MOT stuff. I am going to ask that they get it done so I can have it back for easter and then I have exhaust brakes MOT still to do!

1983 Citroen LNA Inca – well under way now with working engine, still all the MOT stuff to do, but the car is in the open and the Mech is reluctant to do any more while it is cold and wet.

1983 Citroen Visa GT – I have bought sills and a local welder (non car) has agreed to do the welding work for me

1985 Range Rover 3.5 4 door – The garage that originally took this on closed down and it was sent to another garage who did very little. Then another garage started the work and stopped. Currently it is waiting for somebody to take it on, I don’t really know what is needed and have not seen it for years. I will push in the spring for it back but it is no good to me without an MOT.

1983 Alfa Giulietta 2.0 saloon – It should be under way by now, starting with my friend sorting the bodywork for me in my home garage but a couple of rust spots on the Bi-turbo have turned into a marathon.

1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3 fitted with 2.5 LTR engine – We got it running in September at the Field of dreams open day, I took the fuel tank out because it was full of crud and now the tank sits in my garage. Still needs all MOT stuff. Again it is sat in the open and is unattractive to work on.

1971 BMW 3.0S saloon – poor starting, poor running and sticky brakes, a friend from the BMW club has had this for the last year or so and says he will return it sorted in the spring!

Then there is the smaller stuff like the Heater matrix has gone in my 1995 Audi Convertible, 1999 Volvo V70 T5 immobilizer fault, 2nd 1990 Volvo 740GLE non starter in Wales, 1976 Sovereign stripped adaptor for oil sender, 1973 Sovereign showing high engine temp, etc

And the usual round of MOTs, 27 currently MOTed cars to keep on the road.

Looks like it is going to be a busy Car year for me 2017!

Not a single one is on the road yet!

That was close, did you have to wait long for your man there?

I don't think running it would have done any harm, it would have just conked out. Then all the fuel lines and carb would have had to be cleaned.

It still had a bit of diesel in it because there was a bit of smoke when changing gear. This was because it is a 64 LTR tank and I had put in 43 LTR to fill it back up for an afternoon tour. The recover guy only could take out 50 LTR because that was all the storage containers he had. Next refuel I put in 51 LTR and now the smoke has gone.

We had to wait a while partly because I needed to check if we had wrong fuelling cover before I engaged help. We did not have cover and it took over an hour to find that out and the help number said if they arranged a garage to attend to me they would charge for the arrangement service. One hour waiting for a phone call to confirm we had breakdown cover and one hour once we called the garage ourselves to arrive and sort us out.

Fortunately my Dutch friend with his Healey 3000 could not meet up until 3pm so we still had a lovely afternoon drive, guided by a local with Mrs 6C riding in the Healey.

post-4787-0-81085900-1494439414_thumb.jpg

Incoming first glimpse!

Yes I have done it, the desire has been around for years, in December the offer of the Coupe rekindled the wanting, but I really wanted a Berlina saloon.

As happens with this forum a mention of a saloon available had me all excited, but having to move 16 cars within 3 months and nowhere to put them made even me put the brakes.

New storage now found so maybe I could take on one more car, a tentative enquiry to capsuleboy revealed it was still available, a very pleasant evening was spent with capsuleboy talking about cars and by the end of the evening I was the owner of a Lancia Gamma Berlina.

What is it like?

At a glance it looks great, but a closer look reveals a few rust spots and a dent with some poor paintwork I guess from earlier repairs.

The engine runs sweetly and it moves under its own power, but it has not been used for 30 years and has no brakes, needs new cam belts, service and MOT.

So you see, very easy!

I need to decide where to take it and then have it transported.

post-4787-0-95011500-1494516322_thumb.jpg

Vantman - It was good to meet you and see your Saabs close up. Thanks for the hydrolastic pump and seat belts.

I really like the faded 900, great spec as well with the air con (which I believe works).

And....well done (if that's the right phrase) on the new purchase!