Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

^ well at least it was the environ-mentally friendly.. unleaded

I can just picture those darn minnows zapping around on their sup'ed up caudals ..annoying the old guppy from number 23. 

13 hours ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Our local Tesco filling station pumped twenty odd thousand litres of unleaded straight into the surrounding water course the other year....it doesn’t exactly instil confidence in their forecourt equipment 

Where I'm working had a urea tank which was putting neat Urea into the storm drain every 3 or 4 hours about 40 litres at a time. 

It wasnt until fish at Trentham gardens started dying that the environmental compliance people started to investigate. 

One night shift a dozen armed police * stormed the place.  A major Jet Engine company was finded a small fortune, for misreading the architect's plans, and getting confused over which drain was which. 

* or a single civil servant from Dfra. 

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

A few years ago Tesco Buckingham managed to put petrol in their underground diesel tank and Buckingham was littered with dead diesel cars 1-3 miles away, including my friend with a Passat that had to be transported before the fuel system was cleaned out.

But Mrs6C pootled about all day in the 1.9d zx which didn't care about it... 

I have been to see my favourite garage that has my Gamma this morning and they are asking for:

·         Head gasket set (or both head gaskets, inlet manifold and rocker cover gaskets)

·         Offside cylinder head with valves (camshaft and rockers seem fine on that side)

·         Nearside camshaft and both exhaust rockers

·         Radiator fan temp switch

The broken valve head has marked the piston lightly before being embedded in the head flat side to the piston and as far as Mark can tell the piston seems ok.

IMG_20190531_100827 broad.jpg

6 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Oh dear  that's not good. What caused it to go?

Valve head broke off, not sure a why. It did get a bit warm when the fan switch failed but never really sizzling. They are sodium filled valves so maybe its time had just come. 

The broken end of the valve stem is embedded into the value seat area.

IMG_20190531_101105 broad.jpg

On 5/30/2019 at 11:18 AM, Six-cylinder said:

A few years ago Tesco Buckingham managed to put petrol in their underground diesel tank and Buckingham was littered with dead diesel cars 1-3 miles away, including my friend with a Passat that had to be transported before the fuel system was cleaned out.

But Mrs6C pootled about all day in the 1.9d zx which didn't care about it... 

I can confirm that a ZX  1.9d will run quite happily on a tank of  1/3rd petrol to 2/3rds diesel (there was a pity of praying involved)

21 minutes ago, SiC said:

Are those sort of parts readily available for the Gamma? What is the parts situation like for classic Italian stuff, as good as BL?

I have been in touch with the club who are really the only UK source of spares, they are hopeful but need some time to look them out.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:56 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Valve head broke off, not sure a why. It did get a bit warm when the fan switch failed but never really sizzling. They are sodium filled valves so maybe its time had just come. 

The broken end of the valve stem is embedded into the value seat area.

IMG_20190531_101105 broad.jpg

Sodium-cooled valves do seem to have a finite life, far more fatigue-prone than solid ones; given the relatively low state of tune are cooled valves even needed?

I know higher spec versions of the engine used in the Model 70 also had Sodium cooled valves :mrgreen:

im curious is it literally metallic sodium in them? because thats a very reactive metal, so im curious how they go about putting it in there etc (reactive to the point where it can be explosive on contact with water)

so id imagine sodium filled valves+HGF=a bad day! (it certainly makes disposal of dead/damaged Low pressure sodium lamps fun!)

5 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I thought sodium = salt! And I thought salt helps to corrode?

nah salt is sodium chloride and does not really have much in the way of cooling properties AFAIK?

elemental sodium is far nastier then then sodium chloride I can tell you that much!