Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

1 minute ago, Wingz123 said:

our idea of putting the bucket of ice cold water (it literally had thick slabs of ice stuck to the sponge!!) on top of your Range Rovers engine with the bonnet pulled down over the top didnt make a blind bit of difference hahaha Sorry me ol mate, I said it did earlier.... ? ???

should of strapped it inside REVs engine bay and took her for a spin :mrgreen:

being air cooled and all that she kicks out an impressive amount of heat back there!

1 minute ago, Wingz123 said:

It was a pleasure to meet you @Six-cylinder, @Mrs6C and @richardmorris

More than happy to help! The Xantia scrubbed up well (I did lose feeling in my hands after about 30 seconds in the water but @Six-cylinder coffees soon sorted that out! Oh and by the way @Six-cylinder I told a white lie earlier.....your idea of putting the bucket of ice cold water (it literally had thick slabs of ice stuck to the sponge!!) on top of your Range Rovers engine with the bonnet pulled down over the top didnt make a blind bit of difference hahaha Sorry me ol mate, I said it did earlier.... ? ???

........what's next? ??

Same here, it’s good to put a face to a name. Hope you have a trouble free trip to France in the xantia.

Just now, LightBulbFun said:

should of strapped it inside REVs engine bay and took her for a spin :mrgreen:

being air cooled and all that she kicks out an impressive amount of heat back there!

Rev was seen in the far distance. We didn’t venture beyond the boat at high tide. Had to keep busy it was bloody cold.

3 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Rev was seen in the far distance. We didn’t venture beyond the boat at high tide. Had to keep busy it was bloody cold.

could of kept warm by removing the fuel tank :) I need to get that removed so I can have a look and see if its repairable or not!

(would like to get a head start on that at some point before the main recommissioning starts so im not hold up by a leaky fuel tank)

probably should of raised the point again a couple days ago, did cross my mind, but I didn't want to be a bother!

This time of year is restricted with very cold weather, short hours of sunlight, and a dash of sod this for a lark. Happy to help with intricate work, but half an hour at 1 degree makes my fingers go numb. And six cylinder was worried about the milk getting up to fridge temp in the sun!

Some jobs needs warmth and long daylight hours unless you’ve a garage. And despite @Wingz123 seeming love of lying on the icy ground I think this year’s field work is done.

10 hours ago, richardmorris said:

This time of year is restricted with very cold weather, short hours of sunlight, and a dash of sod this for a lark. Happy to help with intricate work, but half an hour at 1 degree makes my fingers go numb. And six cylinder was worried about the milk getting up to fridge temp in the sun!

Some jobs needs warmth and long daylight hours unless you’ve a garage. And despite @Wingz123 seeming love of lying on the icy ground I think this year’s field work is done.

That's the main reason I didn't volunteer this weekend, I've got the kids, and Charlie's already got a mega cough, we're not even going out to our favourite place this weekend

IMG_20191103_105442.thumb.jpg.b94a53663793ff5b81be9646d14b9c51.jpg

IMG_20191103_125012.thumb.jpg.96f4d2bbc888c0facbba02c327a51c11.jpg

Had you timed it for next weekend, not a problem! 

9 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

So the Trevi is IE, not a carb one then

We believe it started life as an IE and had fancy carbs fitted. We bought it without the fancy carbs, just a standard Beta carb. We owned a 2.0 carb HPE in the past and were always pleased with its performance so I am quite happy to run it like that.

We do need a throttle cable for it to suit a standard carb. 

The pictures show the twins it had been running and the single it has now.

IMG_20191128_113625 crop carb.jpg

IMG_20191130_160931 crop carb.jpg

4 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

Will take a look in my crates of bits

Or I could introduce you to Mark Wastnidge of the Beta Boys, If you don’t know of already 

Yes please and yes please.

I need a throttle cable now, but I am sure I will need other parts in the future as we intend to return it to the road.

Today I collected the VP 1500 start motor from Andyrew who had it rebuilt though his work. This is an old car so straight forward to fit once I had checked the photos I had taken of which wire went where. Still took some cranking and I even had to add the jump pack to get it spinning faster, but in the end it did fire and ran sweetly once the choke was not needed.

IMG_20191201_145147 broad.jpg

IMG_20191201_152428 broad.jpg

IMG_20191201_152610 broad.jpg

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I thought that fact about me was well established by now! :mrgreen:

What i find particularly unforgivable about the VP is that in order to use the rear picnic tables you have to either be a midget child or get out of the car to raise them up, then limbo under them to get back in.

2 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

What i find particularly unforgivable about the VP is that in order to use the rear picnic tables you have to either be a midget child or get out of the car to raise them up, then limbo under them to get back in.

I just hope some day I get a chance to have a drive of it :)

im quite eager to try out a properly manual car with none of this fly by wire nonsense, now that i have some proper driving experience :) 

(im especially interested to see what the clutch control will be like since I wont have any sort of ECU idle compensation or what have you!)

21 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Alternatively you could try sliding the front seats forward...

3 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

A midget driver?

It's an early in-built safety feature, to prevent the car being driven at the same time as there are people having a picnic in the rear! They might spill their drinks or drop a sandwich and distract the driver, thereby leading to an accident... :-)

On 11/29/2019 at 6:06 PM, richardmorris said:

Oh if you were looking for a tyre place for the clk for me don’t worry. I don’t have to borrow it.

Probably a good call not to borrow it as the puncture turned out to be a tiny crack.

I took it to an independent one man firm who has been doing tyres all his life and he has a man who will repair it. 

I just don't think I would have got that kind of knowledge or service from a tyre chain.

The car is now on its space saver. 

IMG_20191202_100641 broad.jpg

IMG_20191202_100702 crack broad.jpg