Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

I did the Autoglym Valeting course in Oxfordshire............what a waste of 3 days..Never even got any "samples"

on the plus side Lovely sandwiches and the Tea was 9/10 would drink again!! (Not a patch on Mrs6C's Tea though).......and I had shortbread....

Nothing better than an early 5 door V8 Wooffle.....

On 11/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, Six-cylinder said:

@richardthestag What should this nozzle be connected too, you can feel it sucking air?

The engine is from a 1988 3.5 EFi with ZF Auto gearbox.

IMG_20191116_141732 connector marked.jpg

Vacuum hose connects it to the black plastic vacuum ball that sits on the n/s inner wing. It operates the fresh air vent on the heater unit 

Does the heater unit have a solenoid and vacuum pipe on the passenger side?

Fresh air flap on early cars with the metal heater units were cable operated. Early 80s it got more complicated for some reason, the 1990 LHD car I am doing has a metal unit with later controls on the front and vacuum operated fresh air vent.

Does the heater unit have a solenoid and vacuum pipe on the passenger side?
Fresh air flap on early cars with the metal heater units were cable operated. Early 80s it got more complicated for some reason, the 1990 LHD car I am doing has a metal unit with later controls on the front and vacuum operated fresh air vent.
Hang on there. My instructions are to make it MOT worthy, not for everything to work!

Its abit of a bitsa....so I will check at the weekend.

It needs a mot first

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, ianbmw said:

13 years of Range Rover ownership has taught me to aim low and always be pleasantly surprised when you exceed your target

Pessimists are happier than optimists. Optimists are always disappointed with some aspect of life, but pessimists are occasionally proved wrong.

48 minutes ago, ianbmw said:

Most 80s Land rover products do, it developes over time

This is true, 

My disco has developed new tech all on its own

Self cleaning deep soak carpets,  automatic wipers that come on by themselves rain or shine, additional floor ventilation to help the self washing carpets air out, And a self emptying engine oil system. 

It's just last week upgraded to a self draining coolant system now aswell. 

2 hours ago, ianbmw said:

13 years of Range Rover ownership has taught me to aim low and always be pleasantly surprised when you exceed your target

15 years of Range Rover daily drivers has taught me that they are nowhere near as unreliable as folk* would have you believe. Plus you can fix em with hammers and ....

welders ?

23 hours ago, richardthestag said:

15 years of Range Rover daily drivers has taught me that they are nowhere near as unreliable as folk* would have you believe. Plus you can fix em with hammers and ....

welders ?

should keep my stupid fat mouth closed, 11 miles into a drive home and it shat a core plug! gah, no lasting damage but no idea why it shat Plus took 4h 30m from incident to get 11miles back to Devon base. 

still at least I can fix it by hammering another coreplug back into the hole, with more threadlock this time tho ?

I'm sure you know ..but just in case not ;  core plugs (which were once good and properly fitted) tend to pop either because they are corroded and then the block's heat expansion allows them to let go, or else the head gasket's blown and pressure build up in the cooling jackets finds the easiest route out. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Bfg said:

I'm sure you know ..but just in case not ;  core plugs (which were once good and properly fitted) tend to pop either because they are corroded and then the block's heat expansion allows them to let go, or else the head gasket's blown and pressure build up in the cooling jackets finds the easiest route out. :wacko:

At the risk of hijacking 6c most venerable thread, yep know that, just replaced core plugs with new and done head gaskets, more on my RR thread later