Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

13 minutes ago, SiC said:

I wish Mrs SiC would follow me with a tow rope when I'm testing out new old cars. 

Does the dizzy need twisting to tweak the timing a bit to stop the pinking?

The VP is Mrs6Cs against my advice!

I did not want to back off the timing and lose any performance because when I am running the ¼ mile against a Challenger Hellcat I need everything it can muster!!!

On 5/13/2019 at 8:39 PM, Six-cylinder said:

My first trip out this evening with the Allegro so I did have Mrs6C follow me for the first 8 miles with a tow rope. All went very well, easy cold start and hot start after filling with Tesco 99 as there is a bit of pinking. Even with 99 I have to be gentle to keep it from pinking so I will get some Octane booster.....

....or you could add Tetraboost for that proper leaded petrol thing (and it will apparently add an octane number or two).

On 5/13/2019 at 8:39 PM, Six-cylinder said:

My first trip out this evening with the Allegro so I did have Mrs6C follow me for the first 8 miles with a tow rope. All went very well, easy cold start and hot start after filling with Tesco 99 as there is a bit of pinking. Even with 99 I have to be gentle to keep it from pinking so I will get some Octane booster.

The rest was plain sailing and I covered 35 miles.

IMG_20190513_194134 broad.jpg

to quote the owner of the very nice Metro at the Hammond gathering

"I know it looks like piss but its not" :mrgreen:

(mind if your piss is THAT colour then I think you should see your GP!)

More bunking off work to play cars and the results are not good.

BX has a blown head gasket, failed a pressure test gets hot quickly even with a new thermostat and pushes water out.  

Told my 2CV ready to collect today, but I have found out my favorite garage has done 20,000 miles in 2 weeks with it!

DS went to have the dent in the front wing repaired I put there on a tree I asked Mrs6C not to plant and they have trebled the amount of work finding cosmetic rust repairs that are needed!

Metro has a flat battery.

MGB GT is home and nobody likes that do they!

All together I seem to have gone a bit BL this week, any pills available

to cure me!

IMG_20190515_200148 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Totally contrary opinion from me...the MGB strikes me as an excellent choice of transport.  Still fancy having one on fleet some day.

One of the easiest older cars to look after that you can get everything for at a reasonable price.

I had this one nearly 8 years and it is not my first.

16 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Told my 2CV ready to collect today, but I have found out my favorite garage has done 20,000 miles in 2 weeks with it!

Hang on... what?? I can tell you’re not being literal here.. but what’ve they done? 

On 4 May 2019 at 7:39 PM, Mrs6C said:

To be honest, the throttle cable itself may be OK, but the plastic sleeve around the metal conduit has melted along about 8" of the cable and presumably the inner plastic sleeve also, so the cable is sticking and won't move...

Venhill Engineering might be able to re-sleeve it, of course... thanks for the link, TT! :-)

Lateral thinking - maybe we could heat up the affected area again gently and then when the inner plastic is warm and pliable, try moving the inner cable back and forth until it runs cleanly... but that could risk the cable sticking again in the future, which wouldn't be fun on an automatic if full throttle... not ideal on a CX to switch off an engine and coast to a halt...

Any luck with Venhill Engineering? Did they reply?

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

One of the easiest older cars to look after that you can get everything for at a reasonable price.

^^ this. Just ordered brand new front discs,  front pads, front calipers, front headshield, rear shoes, rear cylinder, adjuster and full hardware for £170 all in and posted from http://msc.parts

I am also lucky I have a Moss Motors local to me and 10mins walk from work, which makes picking up the odd bits and pieces really easy. Possibly too easy. They're a bit more expensive than others + eBay but they're pretty good on returns and have a lot of stock. Actually most stuff I can pick up there and then on the day. Genuinely easier and cheaper to get parts for than my moderns!

Speaking of your BGT, fancy a challenge on the number of miles done this year? I'm on 50 miles in 1.5 weeks and only just getting things ready. ;)

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have contacted Venhill and they say they can probably do it. They want me to send the cable which is with another Autoshiter at the moment and if that is not successful I will send them the cable.

Funny you should say that, I popped in to the dirt bike centre near me and he recommended I contact venhill.

I also Popped in my local browns today and they guy there said they had the stuff on rolls at the haddenham and they can make cables on site he said. 

I really do fancy one, but it's hard to justify at the moment as we've no space...Lada needs to go anyway, and to get an MG I'd need to also sell either the Xantia or the van...which both fill useful roles!

Must be nearly fifteen years since I last drove one...know my other half has a bit of an attachment to them as well so hope I can arrange for him to be taken out for a run in one someday (he's unable to drive medically just now), it's just one of those cars I really want to expose him to. 

Question for me with an MGB would be colour... I'm unreasonably attracted to all BMC vehicles in Snapdragon yellow courtesy of this:

metro.thumb.JPG.c6dc2fc28c70badc3b3ecafed098796b.JPG

I really miss that car.

10 hours ago, SiC said:

Speaking of your BGT, fancy a challenge on the number of miles done this year? I'm on 50 miles in 1.5 weeks and only just getting things ready. ;)

Ah, I have averaged 274 miles a year in mine and my head is presently turned by the Allegro. Getting in and out is difficult with a bad leg at the moment so I think you might win this year! Here is today’s Speedo reading 5433.

Mine has been away with a film company and although it only did a one day shoot as a drive past prop it has sat sit in their barn because I was in no rush to get it back

IMG_20190516_062616 broad.jpg

7 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Must be nearly fifteen years since I last drove one...know my other half has a bit of an attachment to them as well so hope I can arrange for him to be taken out for a run in one someday (he's unable to drive medically just now), it's just one of those cars I really want to expose him to. 

You can always borrow my BGT and take your partner for a run out in it.

Question is, for the SiC challenge does having others do your miles for you count!

Now who is for a game of spot the difference?

Also today I refilled the VP with petrol after 199 miles, guess the mpg? Mainly open road drive including a short spell at 70 mph on a duel carriageway yesterday.

IMG_20190517_132255 broad.jpg

IMG_20190517_153201 broad.jpg

you painted the front wings on rhe metro a different colour?

Now who is for a game of spot the difference?

Also today I refilled the VP with petrol after 199 miles, guess the mpg? Mainly open road drive including a short spell at 70 mph on a duel carriageway yesterday.

IMG_20190517_132255 broad.jpg

IMG_20190517_153201 broad.jpg

yeah you bring out the nice cars when im not there :(    :P