Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

26 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Gamma OC didn't fancy trying to rescue the windscreen then?  Mind you I suppose most Gammas are MOT exempt now so windscreen damage is less of an issue.

The windscreen was badly chipped and while they are in short supply it was felt it would have not come out in one piece.

3 members of the Gammer Club spent 2 days carefully removing any parts that were considered to be useful. The remainder of the parts on the Gamma had been assessed as not in usable condition or multi duplication of parts they all ready had in stock in their limited storage.

Not sure the Gamma making its final journey is very good calendar material, when we have other pictures of happier moments with Autoshite.

On a happier note today I took delivery of my new Vauxhall Astravan Sportive!

Ok in 2005 it would have been new but it is a fully operational van I have driven around our field.

In Dec 2019 it ran out of MOT and an assessment was made at my favourite garage that it would be expensive to get it a new MOT and the garage was asked to scrap it. The garage has made a present of it to me.

Today I had the Astravan transported to the FoD for the delight and entertainment of visitors to the FoD 12/13 Sep.

IMG_20200903_114550 broad.jpg

IMG_20200903_114913 broad.jpg

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Gamma OC didn't fancy trying to rescue the windscreen then?  Mind you I suppose most Gammas are MOT exempt now so windscreen damage is less of an issue.

Sadly the windscreen was chipped and it had a crack in it as well. The ultra-rare rear side windows and rear screen were saved though.

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

On a happier note today I took delivery of my new Vauxhall Astravan Sportive!

Ok in 2005 it would have been new but it is a fully operational van I have driven around our field.

In Dec 2019 it ran out of MOT and an assessment was made at my favourite garage that it would be expensive to get it a new MOT and the garage was asked to scrap it. The garage has made a present of it to me.

Today I had the Astravan transported to the FoD for the delight and entertainment of visitors to the FoD 12/13 Sep.

IMG_20200903_114550 broad.jpg

IMG_20200903_114913 broad.jpg

Looks in bloody good nick that!

On 9/1/2020 at 6:11 PM, hairnet said:

can i ask a smol favour?

local knowledge from mk to basingstoke needed please

the trainz go into that lundun and on a sunday not sure what kinda service id get - can i you get from there or oxford heading directly south instead of east then out?

could i shitely myself from the fod to bassa on the saturday morning??

anyone game? for fuel and cake payment obvs

If you can get from Basingstoke to Oxford by train (not necessarily as easy as it sounds on a Sunday) there is an excellent bus service from Oxford to Milton Keynes. Stagecoach X5, it's half hourly weekdays, not sure  about Sundays but I'm sure it's at least hourly. It stops at Buckingham too. 

I have had a little run out in the Trevi tonight to a small car gathering. I must have swallowed a bravery pill as it would not start this morning and I had to take another car out, now here I am driving it 25 miles coming home in the dark! Anyway all went well.

IMG_20200903_193036 broad.jpg

IMG_20200903_191540 broad.jpg

IMG_20200903_193105 broad.jpg

IMG_20200903_193231 broad.jpg

IMG_20200903_194058 broad.jpg

IMG_20200903_195457 broad.jpg

10 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

What condemned it for the MoT?

I don't think they can remember as it was Dec 2019 when it was checked over. Ball joint and charging were two things they remembered. They also said windscreen but I can't see anything wrong with that. I am sure several critical eyes will look over it at FoD and we can decide if it has a future.

Be ironic wouldn't it! All you want is a watertight lockable shed on wheels to live out its days on the farm, costing you nothing more than diesel and a part worn tyre every few decades and halfway through the first fod day it'll be ready for its mot and needing taxing and insuring... 

I'd go cut all the wires to the rear lights then set fire to the loom a bit so no one can sneakily fix it... 

BL Autumn Rally 27th Sep 2020

I has been bought to my attention due to Covid-19 this year only certain models will be allowed in and therefore will exclude our two Daimler Sovereigns, MGB GT and Triumph Vitesse so I will only have my Metro and VP1500 if it repaired in time.

Quote from Tom Morley  Metro Owners Club.

"Pleased to announce I have been given the go ahead for the show. However, due to Covid-19 restrictions for the event to happen it will only be Club/model areas this year so just 1100’s, Allegros, Maxis, Marinas, Landcrabs, Metros, Maestros, Montegos and Rover 200/400/600/800’s. No individual entries. You don’t need to be a club member but all vehicles will have to be parked in their model specific area so track and trace can be completed by a club official, the museum will be closed apart from the toilets and the cafe will be takeaway tea and cake with card payment only"

24B77BC1-A47D-4E20-992B-B256F7A3793A.jpeg.259a876e3e4f915aa272a00e768c8bba broad.jpg