Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

I have found that dry cardboard gaskets do soak up the oil and leak after a while. But if you coat both sides in a thin layer of grease or, better still, petroleum jelly they seem to seal much better and last much longer. Incidentally, if you need petroleum jelly for this sort of thing you don't need to buy expensive medical-grade stuff like Vaseline, you can buy commercial stuff much cheaper. I bought a massive tub of it for less than a small tub of Vaseline.

A grand Day out Gromit!

All Autoshite members are invited to a Field of Dreams open day

Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday 9th/10th/11th /12th July

CatsintheWelder is coming over that weekend to fix up the Jingling and no doubt exercise the mopeds!

---------------

I understand from when I first talked about opening the Field of Dreams there is concern about Covid-19 and if you can protect yourself sufficiently in our field. I would say yes, in practical terms there is unlimited space and plenty of room to stay 2m apart. If you are not comfortable putting on work gloves and touching shared equipment don’t. You could work solo on something of yours or ours with your own tools. Or just stand 2m away and drink your own tea.

I don’t know if the 6 limit is still going to be in place after the 4th July but I am thinking with four days that’s 6+6+6+6 =24 visitors over 4 days. Also I am thinking if we divide the site into 4 zones say the yard, approach, camping field and orchard there could be 6 in each socially distancing.

I believe camping will become acceptable again after 4th July and there is plenty of space to pick your own spot away from others.

There is one composting toilet on site with a plastic seat and we will provide wet wipes so you can keep it clean. There is also a long hedge line if you wish is stay away from our Dunny!

We will not be providing any snacks/food/coffee/tea/cups, but there is mains water and a camping stove with kettle if you want it.

Given the Covid situation please let me know if you are coming to see us. Usual thing for route planning purposes aim for Buckingham and if you are attending but not been before or forgotten PM me as I don’t give the address out on open forum.

--------------

Children and dogs welcome.

What can you do at a FoD open day, meet and chat with other shiters, sit around drinking tea. Bring your own project to work on or work on something of ours.

Mrs6C would very much like to progress her Invacar towards returning to the road so help there would be excellent.

The Citroen CX needs its fuel pump and headlights fitted. Then there is the job of throwing away the nasty plastic wheel trims that somebody vandalised it with @Talbot

My pet project is getting the cylinder bearing changed on our Hayter Condor mower so I can stripe the camping field.

We have lots of things to do like start the tractor that needs its inhibitor switch cleaned to move the tipping trailer to a new position. The more things that are started and moved the better. We have field mopeds to play on. There is room to kick a football about if that is your thing.

You can stay an hour or a week just let us know and PM me if you have any questions.

P1330182 broad.jpg

IMG_20200202_145339 broad.jpg

P1390294 broad.jpg

KIF_1813 broad.jpg

IMG_20200620_144405 broad.jpg

Oh yay!

count me as very interested! although im not sure if I can make it sadly, because I still would need picking up from MKC station, and i dont know if people are comfortable doing that again yet, I, personally not fussed about car sharing but obviously if everyone else is not comfortable about it then thats perfectly understandable!

(and im also not sure where I would stay!)

as mentioned before I would very much like to do/have help with/see some work done on REV if thats possible :) 

im very eager to get her road worthy and brought home finally! 

9 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Was yours specified with alloys, or did it have steels plus moon discs?

I don't know what the original wheels were but it had moon discs when I bought it in 2006 and I like them so they can stay.

It is a Pallas but the seats have been changed to GTi before I got it. I guess this is because standard Citroen seat material just falls apart. Again they are comfortable and look ok so they can stay.

DSCN6091 broad.jpg

7 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

if I’ve managed to MOT a proper Citroen, as I refuse to come in anything else.

This is not a Citroen event and something I really like about Autoshite is that any car, any condition is just fine.

If you like cars and can appreciate other peoples choices then that is all that is needed.

Drive whatever you want this is not a car show. 

Camping has just be allowed again from the 4th July as I hoped it would be.

So bring your caravan, tent or car camp is just fine. Remember we are not providing any other overnight accommodation.

It may be some hotels will reopen by then, but I still think it is better to avoid hotels and public transport at the moment.

With this easing of lockdown we are still keen to protect our guests and ourselves and plan to minimise the risk to each other.

The good news for you lots is I won't be stealing your chocolate biscuits!

19 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

So bring your caravan, tent or car camp is just fine. Remember we are not providing any over overnight accommodation.

It may be some hotels will reopen by then, but I still think it is better to avoid hotels and public transport at the moment.

funnily enough if I had REV on the road this whole thing would not be a problem for me and id actually be able to make it! aint that ironic! 

speaking of REV tho :) 

18 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Put me down as a yarp, 

Probably the Saturday/Sunday. 

right before lockdown etc there was some discussion about buying some parts to help get REV, and you mentioned the place you work would be able to sell me/us said parts

is that option still available? :) (if its not then thats fully understandable!)

Im wondering If I should put together a definitive list of all the things REV needs doing and things I/we should order up

or if its still a bit early for that?

Have safe fun folks. As I am now in a bubble with my sister’s family I am now their weekend childcare. Can’t complain though, my nieces are currently obsessed with bake off and are making loads of cakes and muffins. Well someone has to eat them!

It’s my brother’s birthday that weekend saturday and sunday are definitely out. I may be able to do the Thursday or Friday Depending on what I am doing at work. I’ll technically be working from home planning and optimising refuse rounds and giving the risk assessments a going over, but only need to make myself seen if I have been given a computer.

when do you need to know by?