Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

10 hours ago, Talbot said:

I did briefly look at the front 4-bar-chain wiper and wonder if there was any chance of it working.Ā  Then realised it's completely siezed.... so that'll be a "no" then.

First thing it could do with is some working brakes.Ā  Piloting something that big and heavy that can do quite as much damage as it can with no working brakes to speak of is mildly worrying.

Yes, I have tried that wiper myself. Sad times.

My 11-year old stepson didn't have an issue with the lack of brakes. šŸ˜‰

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

My 11-year old stepson didn't have an issue with the lack of brakes. šŸ˜‰

Could that be due to his lack of appreciation of the utter carnage that thing could do if it fails to stop when needed to?Ā Ā Ā  circa 7 tonnes with two large spikes sticking out the front and zero braking scares the willies out of me, and I'm not one to normally get all "H&S" about anything.Ā  Those forks would go straight through anyone or anything in it's way.Ā  I drove it in 2nd/3rd gear at barely above idle (IE walking pace), with my hand on the lever ready to shove the forks into the ground as an impromptu anchor, just in case it all went wrong.

The lack of any directional accuracy due to the front wheel nuts being about 1/2" loose (and siezed in position) just adds to the hilarity* of driving it.

Mostly the JCB sports a front bucket rather than forks; they were put on for the scrap Gamma loading episode, I think.

It certainly wouldn't hurt it to have working brakes. We have the right size die now to get the wheel studs cleaned up and a socket of the correct size for the wheelnuts, so the front hubs can get some TLC in due course.

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

Mostly the JCB sports a front bucket rather than forks; they were put on for the scrap Gamma loading episode, I think.

It certainly wouldn't hurt it to have working brakes. We have the right size die now to get the wheel studs cleaned up and a socket of the correct size for the wheelnuts, so the front hubs can get some TLC in due course.

Sounds like a job for next year, when your done using it to help with the barn build spend a fod weekend getting it up on sleepers then the next 3 fod weekends overhauling it. Then a 5th to lower it.Ā 

We could all bring a jack, 33 2ton Jack's should lift it easily...Ā 

4 hours ago, Talbot said:

I drove it in 2nd/3rd gear at barely above idle (IE walking pace), with my hand on the lever ready to shove the forks into the ground as an impromptu anchor, just in case it all went wrong.

It was an excellent bit of parking. No building blocks, Xantias, nuns nor kittens were even worried about the outcome.

Perfect 10 GIF - Perfect 10 Score GIFs

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes
16 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

I wonder if we can use the hydralic power to undo the wheel nuts by lifting it up and letting it down onto a breaker bar?

*snap*

Good news:Ā  the wheel is off.

Bad news:Ā  and so it shall remain until we either get replacement studs and nuts, or weld it back on.

I recon with a die nut to clean up the visible threads, then copious amounts of release fluid, some heat and a rattle gun to work the nuts back and forth, they'll come undone.Ā  Will take a fair while though I recon.

On 9/14/2020 at 6:57 PM, richardmorris said:

Autoshite Wurzels- Iā€™ve got a brand new working dumper truck.

0A10AFC2-6FE2-4496-B939-8705E7D39D08.jpeg

D027F460-F2AD-4DD8-9C36-E4CBE13158D3.jpeg

and i snapped the keyĀ  , pored cider in fuel tank

Edited by 2cvspecial
spelling mistake (pored ) - Poured

22 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I wonder if the dumper would go faster with a tankful of Mrs6C's finest?

if the dumper does not,Ā then theĀ Model 70's should do

it says right on the bonnet "2 Star Only" and im pretty sure most shitters rated @Mrs6C's finest at far more then 2 stars! :mrgreen:

The Milk float got a run out today, well 10 yards on the end of a rope to allow a water pipe to be trenched in. We are still looking for a set of affordable batteries for it.

The tyre on the JCB has held up.

I looked at the wiper motor on the JCB and did not recognise it, anybody know of any other applications?

I am sure there is somebody who would rush from Wales to fit it if I could find one!

IMG_20201130_134141 broad.jpg

IMG_20201130_135726 broad.jpg

IMG_20201130_135621[1] crop.jpg

IMG_20201130_135545 broad.jpg

11 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

We are still looking for a set of affordable batteries for it.

find another suitable 60V milk float motor, strap it to an XUD engine, install the lot in the bed of the float, connect the output of the now 60V Generator to the battery terminalsĀ in the float

and bam your very own dieselĀ electric locomotive! :mrgreen: