Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

My intention was to take the Vanden Plas 1500 to a small car show in Weedon on Sat 28th so the day before I gave it a try, but the battery was totally flat so I just put it on charge. Events then overtook me and I collected the Peugeot 306 Cab and took that to the show as there was not time to go home and change cars.

Today there was another car show in Brackley so with some trepidation at 9am I tried to start the VP now with a charged battery and it started without any real difficulty. I left it to warm up and it ran out of petrol on the drive showing 1/8 tank. Do I take the reserve, my Citroen DS sitting on the drive ready to go or bugger about finding a petrol can, driving to a garage in the Pug 3 miles, finding the funnel with the 90° spout, pour the petrol without spilling it over myself and hope it sucks it up before the battery gives out. In spite of having a selection of cars it is not very often that one of them does not fit the event or my desire and today I wanted to drive the VP so I got petrol for it.

With petrol it started just fine and it made the trip just fine, although it rewarded me by the n-s rear indicator not working when I got home.

Quicksilver was also at the event and I hope he will give a report as his photography is so much better than mine.

IMG_20191229_103701 broad.jpg

I am having a Peugeot day, I ignored the VP1500 this morning to run my local errands in the 306, which idled from cold today that it did not do yesterday.

Looking though the handbook pack I found what looks like an off cut of wallpaper and on their it lists:

New Clutch 102,989

New front & rear discs 103,201

New brake pads all round 103,201

Oil and filter change 103,201

New wheel bearing front offside 103,201

The MOT history dates this work between 5-6-17 102,845 miles and 1-6-18 104,303 miles.

The radio does not seen to work and I have a new low cost unit so I thought I would swap them over. Not that easy, first I am not sure how the old one stayed in place as there is no fixing for the cars radio fascia plate to secure to the dash. Second the new wiring has a single 12 pin plug and the car has two plugs. I looks like it might be a choc block instillation.

Now thinking Peugeot has reminded me I need to get my 504 Cabriolet back on the road this summer. Currently it is in a trim shop waiting for a hood, carpets and some leather repairs where it has been for the last 4 years!

IMG_20191230_112401 broad.jpg

IMG_20191230_115639 broad.jpg

IMG_20191230_112446 broad.jpg

IMG_20191230_152827 broad.jpg

P1220833 broad v2.jpg

That Sony unit was working alright, though as it sat so far into the dash it was tricky to make sure the facia was pushed all the way on.    I believe it was standing for a while before the previous owner to me took it on; he fixed it up in a couple of weeks and was then offered a cheap RALLYE with similar issues, so he sold it to me after only two weeks.  He put the new Proxes on the front and a couple of part worns on the back which seemed to do fine for the kind of driving it encourages.

When I first got it it wouldn't idle at all - sticky IC stepper.  300 miles of commuting it eased up a bit, but I think the Doc had similar issues - it could probably benefit from being used a bit, or a new / cleaned motor.

30 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

Blimey, the 504 still isn’t back from the trim shop? That’s a looong time and it’s nearly a year later now than when you talked of it before !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many years ago I tried to convince my dad to buy one that was for sale deep in Provence. I was about 14 and the car was 4000 francs. Looked ok in green, but no roof and sitting in a field!

2 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Many years ago I tried to convince my dad to buy one that was for sale deep in Provence. I was about 14 and the car was 4000 francs. Looked ok in green, but no roof and sitting in a field!

About the same state as mine when I got it!

DSCN8712 broad.jpg

43 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

Blimey, the 504 still isn’t back from the trim shop? That’s a looong time and it’s nearly a year later now than when you talked of it before !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it is time for the 504 to come to the top of the pile, I have had it for 10 years and never had it on the road.

Also 2020 it is time my 1971 BMW 3.0S E3 returned to the road that has been out of service since the MOT ran out in July 2016 because of poor starting and a misfire. A little more complicated because a friend from the BMW club took it to sort it, life has got in the way, but I do want to drive it again now. @Steviemillar  had given me some parts that @Saabnut has stored for me which makes me obliged to get on with it, right!

P1170261.jpg broad.jpg

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I know it is time for the 504 to come to the top of the pile, I have had it for 10 years and never had it on the road.

Also 2020 it is time my 1971 BMW 3.0S E3 returned to the road that has been out of service since the MOT ran out in July 2016 because of poor starting and a misfire. A little more complicated because a friend from the BMW club took it to sort it, life has got in the way, but I do want to drive it again now. @Steviemillar  had given me some parts that @Saabnut has stored for me which makes me obliged to get on with it, right!

P1170261.jpg broad.jpg