Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today I collected the MG metro after it had a new head gasket.

WOW it has never run so well.  @Zelandeth@Slowsilver@AnthonyG you need to try it again it is so much nicer to drive now. Smoother, idles cleanly and no pinking.

The bad news is that they noticed it needs a replacement steering rack as a bush has gone and it wobbles. I have found a new old stock Unipart one and ordered it as their usual suppliers could not provide one. Trouble is seller came back to me to say it could not be despatched until after 7 April, but as I could not find another Unipart one I have agreed to wait and have the car back for now.

IMG_20230307_121912 broad.jpg

IMG_20230307_121942 broad.jpg

IMG_20230307_122201 broad.jpg

IMG_20230307_125535 broad.jpg

Great news!

Sorry everybody I bought a convertible car !

When I took delivery of the MX5 it was sunny and 12° C.

The weather has only gone downhill since then and I fear it is my fault wanting to use a convertible in March. For everybody's comfort I have put it away and got the XM out so the weather should get better now!

IMG_20230308_084840 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Convertible put away for the sake of the weather!

Man-Maths

Having given up on the MX5 due to weather I have been driving the XM 2.0 16v Auto this week. I filled it up today with E5 after 299.5 miles for £80.90 and it has done 26.4 mpg. I was hoping for a couple more mpg but ok considering it has not had a run, just local journeys. Still a lot to pay out for local running around.

I put my Fiat Seicento 1108cc away in October on SORN to protect it from salt with the view to getting it out in April. With petrol now so expensive paying the £15 a month road tax to have it out makes sense as long as I use it instead of XM for the fuel saving to at least cover the road tax. How many miles do I need to do based on 44 mpg for the Fiat both on E5, I was amazed it is only 130 miles a month to save £15 in fuel cost.

Also come April road tax will increase and on the original inflation linked plan that would be 12.3% although the new chancellor may lower that increase.

IMG_20230311_163105 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Man-Maths!

Acting on the man-maths I have now got the little Fiat out of storage and taxed it.

The good news is I reconnected the battery, it instantly started and drives perfectly. The only issue was a tyre without air at the bottom, but we had a pump with us.

The photos are today.

IMG_20230312_115115 broad.jpg

IMG_20230312_115313 broad.jpg

14 minutes ago, hairnet said:

i saw a man yesterday who has a proclivity for smol fiats but he wants to get rid of some (he has 3 seicentos)

youd be up for that get a slap off the boss right? :D

Don't tell anybody but I want a Cinquecento Sporting!

No not instead of the Seicento but as well as.

On 3/11/2023 at 5:44 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Man-Maths

Having given up on the MX5 due to weather I have been driving the XM 2.0 16v Auto this week. I filled it up today with E5 after 299.5 miles for £80.90 and it has done 26.4 mpg. I was hoping for a couple more mpg but ok considering it has not had a run, just local journeys. Still a lot to pay out for local running around.

I put my Fiat Seicento 1108cc away in October on SORN to protect it from salt with the view to getting it out in April. With petrol now so expensive paying the £15 a month road tax to have it out makes sense as long as I use it instead of XM for the fuel saving to at least cover the road tax. How many miles do I need to do based on 44 mpg for the Fiat both on E5, I was amazed it is only 130 miles a month to save £15 in fuel cost.

Also come April road tax will increase and on the original inflation linked plan that would be 12.3% although the new chancellor may lower that increase.

IMG_20230311_163105 broad.jpg

It's even more ridiculous if you're having to take the difference in pricing between petrol and diesel into account.

Based on the economy over the last couple of tanks of fuel there's basically sod all difference in the fuel price per mile between the Caddy and R25 now.  

On 3/12/2023 at 1:33 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Ever wondered where all the 10mm spanners go, I have most of them!

My cars eat 10mm sockets.  I lost one in the depths of the Xedos engine bay yesterday trying to tighten up a hard to reach cam cover bolt.  I think it spat it out on a left turn, never to be seen again!

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

It's even more ridiculous if you're having to take the difference in pricing between petrol and diesel into account.

Based on the economy over the last couple of tanks of fuel there's basically sod all difference in the fuel price per mile between the Caddy and R25 now.  

I’ve been discovering this recently. The XC90 is less economical than the 9000 already, but once you add in the inflated cost of diesel it’s a massive difference. £50 stands me a weeks commute and a trip at the weekend in the XC, I can do two weeks in the 9000 and a trip out on the same money. 

19 minutes ago, brownnova said:

I’ve been discovering this recently. The XC90 is less economical than the 9000 already, but once you add in the inflated cost of diesel it’s a massive difference. £50 stands me a weeks commute and a trip at the weekend in the XC, I can do two weeks in the 9000 and a trip out on the same money. 

but leadfoot

Today I collected Ex @richardmorris Mercedes E320 from my favorite garage with a fresh MOT and an Oil change service. The only problem was one of the rear seat belts would not stay clipped in so a clean and lubricate was needed. Apart from that a clean pass.

I plan to use it at the weekend for a 3 day classic driving tour in Wales. I was going to use the Ex @Andyrew MX5 but in spite of his guarantee the Mazda came with sunshine the forecast is rain all weekend!

I think this is the first time we have had the current two W124 Mercs on the drive together.

IMG_20230314_130426 broad.jpg

IMG_20230314_130518 broad.jpg

IMG_20230314_130633 broad.jpg

IMG_20230314_132045 broad.jpg

Where is our car!

@Andyrew took our ZX away to see if he could find out why on a cold start it was grumpy and puffed a small mountain of white smoke. It has had new glow plugs a month ago but still runs on less than 4 and smokes badly just for 20 secs. Andy could not find anything particularly wrong with it. He put a double dose of injection cleaner through it and it seems to run a little better but still runs rough and smokes on start up.

The next stage when Andy has some more time is to take out the injectors and have them tested. To enable that to happen we need new seals. Anybody know of a supplier of injection seals for a 1996 Citroen ZX Turbo Diesel Estate?

Andy turned up at the house in a car we did not recognise tonight with glossy bright red paintwork. Looking closer it was a ZX Estate and reading the reg it was ours! Yes he took away a car that was filthy dirty with a totally flat paint on bonnet and grill. Also a wheel cover off because it was trying to fall off and a dull headlight. Now it looks great thanks very much.  

IMG_20230314_172035 broad.jpg

IMG_20230314_172054 crop bonnet broad.jpg

IMG_20211123_124911 crop bonnet broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Where is our car!
12 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Where is our car!

@Andyrew took our ZX away to see if he could find out why on a cold start it was grumpy and puffed a small mountain of white smoke. It has had new glow plugs a month ago but still runs on less than 4 and smokes badly just for 20 secs. Andy could not find anything particularly wrong with it. He put a double dose of injection cleaner through it and it seems to run a little better but still runs rough and smokes on start up.

The next stage when Andy has some more is to take out the injectors and have them tested. To enable that to happen we need new seals. Anybody know of a supplier of injection seals for a 1996 Citroen ZX Turbo Diesel Estate?

Andy turned up at the house in a car we did not recognise tonight with glossy bright red paintwork. Looking closer it was a ZX Estate and reading the reg it was ours! Yes he took away a car that was filthy dirty with a totally flat paint on bonnet and grill. Also a wheel cover off because it was trying to fall off. Now it looks great thanks very much.  

IMG_20230314_172035 broad.jpg

IMG_20230314_172054 crop bonnet broad.jpg

IMG_20211123_124911 crop bonnet broad.jpg

Wow, what a transformation!

Apart from MOT time, when I think I put the belts in the locks myself from the standing position, I can count on one hands the number of times someone was in the back of the car in the last ten years. Two nieces in spring  2021, mum and sister in Nov 2020 for a family funeral etc.

Sorry I have been two timing you all this weekend!

I have done a 3 day tour around Wales this weekend with "The Saga Louts" a group of friends who first met at Jaguar Club in Oxford 35 years ago.

There were supposed to be 3 MX5s, I read the weather forecast and took the Mercedes instead. The other MK1 did not make the start line as it was broken and the owner rode passenger in the XJS.

I was accused of cheating in the Ex @richardmorris E320 Coupe by the MGB owner as it was so easy to live with. 

The first 311 miles in E320 of mixed driving resulted in 28 mpg which I think is pretty good for a 3.2 Ltr straight six with a 4 speed auto.

IMG_20230317_141703 broad.jpg

IMG_20230318_110259 broad.jpg

IMG_20230318_111319 broad.jpg

IMG_20230318_121554 broad.jpg

IMG_20230319_084805 broad.jpg

IMG_20230318_113253 broad.jpg

IMG_20230318_161944 broad.jpg

IMG_20230318_162401 broad.jpg