Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - This weekend.

Tomorrow Sunday I will be out again, this time at a Milton Keynes Classic Car Club gathering at "The Giffard Park Pub" Milton Keynes from around 9:30am until around midday. Coffee and/or breakfast is available in the pub. The plan is to use the Alfa 156 V6 Sportswagon.

Confused my MK Modern Classics and Milton Keynes Classic Car Club, they are two clubs in Milton Keynes broadly similar and both good. They are run by different people and there is no animosity between the two clubs, in fact one of the leaders of tomorrow's group was there today. There is an overlap of people who support both but also fresh cars. I do wish there monthly breakfast meets were spaced out in the month instead of involving two breakfasts in one weekend!

Anybody who wants to take a look or say hi is welcome 5 mins or 3 hours visit, there are no set times. There is plenty of parking for moderns if you are not able to bring a classic or future classic.

Milton Keynes Classic Car Club had a record turn out today with 46 cars. A good variety from a Wolsey 4/44 to a Audi R8.

Our 156 got a bath prior to going and has lost its green growths around the window edges where it has been standing outside for the winter.

IMG_20230205_102906 broad.jpg

IMG_20230205_103048 broad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Our MG Metro has been a non starter most of the winter, it turned slow with even a boost pack on it and showed no signs of firing. A longer term problem is that it is weeping oil from the head gasket and is booked in next week to fix it. Without paying for a lorry I needed to get our MOTed, taxed and insured car started to drive it 20 miles.

I charged the battery at home overnight, scrape cleaned the battery posts added a jump pack and it spun over with enthusiasm and coughed a couple of times. Third time it started and ran smoothly so I decided to take it home. 2 miles down the road it was left for home or right for a drive out before getting home. It is a legal car running fine so why not right, but a few miles later it developed a misfire and I limped home. 

IMG_20230219_120935 broad.jpg

IMG_20230219_123216 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Broken Metro
1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Our MG Metro has been a non starter most of the winter, it turned slow with even a boost pack on it and showed no signs of firing. A longer term problem is that it is weeping oil from the head gasket and is booked in next week to fix it. Without paying for a lorry I needed to get our MOTed, taxed and insured car started to drive it 20 miles.

I charged the battery at home overnight, scrape cleaned the battery posts added a jump pack and it spun over with enthusiasm and coughed a couple of times. Third time it started and ran smoothly so I decided to take it home. 2 miles down the road it was left for home or right for a drive out before getting home. It is a legal car running fine so why not right, but a few miles later it developed a misfire and I limped home. 

Is she packing points or electronimagic ignition?

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Still looks hawt even when it's not moving.

13 minutes ago, grogee said:

Quite right too, it'll never catch on.

If it's sat around the points might be a bit crusty. Wow it's been ages since I saw points.

Back in the 1980s I sold Sparkrite electronic ignitions and we had a failure rate of 2.5%. I understand points, I can test and if I carry the parts can easily fit new ignition components. The electronic boxes are a mystery to me.

Why does my green Range Rover not fire its injectors!

Have to wonder if we might be seeing condenser issues there.  Though I'm sure we tested that by substitution... admittedly with modern condenser quality that doesn't necessarily mean much.

Points were removed, cleaned and gapped when I was last hunting the miss.  I'd forgotten what a pain to get to they are on a Metro!

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I've a friend who is looking for one for his partner, should you ever want to move it on, please drop me a pm.

On 05/02/2023 at 13:53, Six-cylinder said:

Milton Keynes Classic Car Club had a record turn out today with 46 cars. A good variety from a Wolsey 4/44 to a Audi R8.

Our 156 got a bath prior to going and has lost its green growths around the window edges where it has been standing outside for the winter.

IMG_20230205_102906 broad.jpg

IMG_20230205_103048 broad.jpg

I was taken to Bletchley Park today and saw a super clean N reg BMW 3 series Touring on the way back, I wonder if it was there?

15 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

There is an E36 Touring that sometimes come to Milton Keynes meetings but it was not there that day. 

Henna red I think with M3 wheels, M Sport black interior. Parked up in Grove Lock pub car park Leighton Buzzard. 

How did you get on with that wee diesel heater Chris? 

34 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

I've a friend who is looking for one for his partner, should you ever want to move it on, please drop me a pm.

The MG Metro MK1 is Mrs6C choice and I don't think she is planning to part with it.

I got a Metro craving but did not fancy explaining to Mrs6C how I had spent a small fortune on a 1275cc Metro so bought myself an unloved 114 SLi  5 door 7 years ago. I was enjoying my 114i with 75 bhp engine and 5 speed gearbox with no desire to change it. I got a bunch of Metro brochures including a MK1 MG and Mrs6C looked at it and said I want one of those so I explained how expensive they were, but I was told to find her one!

P1180842 broad.jpg

13 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

Henna red I think with M3 wheels, M Sport black interior. Parked up in Grove Lock pub car park Leighton Buzzard. 

How did you get on with that wee diesel heater Chris? 

The one I am thinking of is black.

I still have not fires up the heater because when we needed it I was short of help and had to concentrate on the main job of reassembling the Saab engine.

On 2/19/2023 at 5:33 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Why does my green Range Rover not fire its injectors!

we wuz in mossley today and visited someone who happened have a classic shape RR parked outside his workshop and i asked him about yours

if its a 3.5 itll be to do possibly with the air flow meter.......

he said unlike most cars when you put ign on and the fuel pump starts then it looks for air

these things do it the other way round - so if it cant tell about air pressure/flow/vacuum then fuel wont happen

he said if its a 3.9 then itll likely be a control box = whole heap of mare

hope that helps

just buy a land cruiser :P

7 minutes ago, hairnet said:

we wuz in mossley today and visited someone who happened have a classic shape RR parked outside his workshop and i asked him about yours

if its a 3.5 itll be to do possibly with the air flow meter.......

he said unlike most cars when you put ign on and the fuel pump starts then it looks for air

these things do it the other way round - so if it cant tell about air pressure/flow/vacuum then fuel wont happen

he said if its a 3.9 then itll likely be a control box = whole heap of mare

hope that helps

just buy a land cruiser :P

It is a 3.5 EFi, running gear from a 1988 car.

Land Cruiser are such agricultural lumps compared to a Range Rover.