Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

In 1986 I thought it was about time I had an old sports car, so started to scan the classic mags. I went to see a Sunbeam Alpine, nice looking but I was not sure as parts were difficult. Looked at a Spitfire 1500, just out of my price range as dealer was tight on his trade in value of my current car. Looked at an MGB roadster, deal was struck and I drove off with it. It was one of the worst cars I have ever owned. I took it back the next day because when I went to fill the tank it started leaking. They replaced the tank and the rear springs because one had broke. After owning an Alfa it felt like an absolute piece of shite to drive, all scuttle shake and creaky bodywork. I hated it. 

After 4 months I traded it for an Alfasud Sprint, what a relief.

I do sometimes think that a B GT would've been better, and still sometimes think of having a Sebring style one. As for Triumphs, I've never had one.

21 hours ago, chaseracer said:

Tidying the garage today, I happened across the April 2013 issue of Practical Performance Car.  Inside was a feature, written by @motorpunk of this electronic parish, thrashing this very Maserati around the Isle of Man TT circuit.

Oh I loved that trip! And I really wanted to buy the car off Chris, my mate who owned it at the time. @Mrs6C (and anyone else interested), prod me and I’ll retrieve all the pics from that trip off an old PC I used when writing for PPC, all those years ago.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

The XM is home with a fresh MOT.

Auto gear selector is much better but still a bit stiff and needs a new cable, but I can't find one.

Non working left indicator dash warning light turned out to be the connector on the back of the instrument cluster. Plug cleaned and wedged into place we will see how long it lasts.

The XM was put straight back to work in its role as one of the dailies. 

I gave it a jet/brush wash in Tescos but the bush is so worn I missed lots of it.

IMG_20221025_120056 broad.jpg

IMG_20221025_122417 broad.jpg

Last drive of the Seicento today before it was put away in storage for the winter.

It was not an expensive car so using it through the winter makes sense, but I think I like it a bit too much and want to protect it!

With the help of @Slowsilverwe started and moved 11 cars out of the barn, then repositioned them for a game of sardines.  Now we have room for 3 more and a small one. Also we checked the antifreeze in several cars, road tested the E Type as it spat some water out last time. I got it nice and hot and not a drop of water was spilt so all seems well. (sorry I forgot my phone this afternoon so no pictures)

IMG_20221026_090608 broad.jpg

IMG_20221025_134930 broad.jpg

I bought a USB charged small vacuum cleaner to whip out to a lightly messy car and clean the interior a bit. I am disappointed it does not do a good job because the filter is so small. I have found it is useful in my office getting in the corners easily and caught this spider out! (I did let it go unharmed)

IMG_20221024_124323 broad.jpg

15 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I miss my v70 t5 auto so much that if you decide to part with it, I’ll sell a kidney and buy it. The one we had FTPd in the middle of Paris blowing its radiator over the inner ring road. But what a machine. 🥰

Have you seen this "R" for sale in N-U-L

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/453844963517981/ 

9 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Have you seen this "R" for sale in N-U-L

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/453844963517981/ 

I am a strange old stick, that is a bit to flash for me.

I liked it when Mrs6C had the V70 T5 Auto and I had an 850 GLT 2.5 20v non turbo Auto.

P1220721 broad v2.jpg

Today I did a long and detailed test of a VW Caddy.

Ok, I was lucky enough to get to have a drive of @ZelandethCaddy today. Here are a few observation.

A lot quicker than our Citroen C15 van.

Rear wiper is strange being only one one side of the rear doors.

Gear knob moves about.

It works well and is very practical for when I took the pigs to market this morning!

Now giving me a new view from my office window.

IMG_20221027_100601 broad.jpg

IMG_20221027_144448 broad.jpg

I said goodbye to my Toledo 2door project today and it is staying within the Forum. I will allow the new owner to introduce themselves when they are ready.

Some will know this is not the end of Toledo ownership for me as I have bought a running 4 door from HMC. The desire to own one was because I learnt to drive on one belonging to a driving school, yes I am old enough for them to have been current cars when I was 17.

IMG_20221027_132242 broad.jpg

IMG_20221027_133128 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - What is wrong with Mr6C he has sold another car today.