Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

33 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Is that the original UK reg, or a DVLA re-plate?

The Peugeot 404 is an import in 2016 so the only British plate.

Its history is not clear, but it looks like it started life in Canada and/or the USA and I have found one picture of it on a Dutch plate. There is also a 2016 letter saying there is no VAT to pay which ties in it having been in the Netherlands. 

IMG_20221122_134821 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Good luck with the 404, a car I've come to admire the more I've learnt about them. A nice summary of it here:

Peugeot 404 Automatic Motor brief test August 1969

This lovely estate I photographed in Dusseldorf back in 2010 is probably my favourite of those I've seen:

Peugeot 404 estate

Made for an interesting comparison with the DS....

Citroen DS and Peugeot 404 estates

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Good luck with the 404, a car I've come to admire the more I've learnt about them. A nice summary of it here:

Peugeot 404 Automatic Motor brief test August 1969

This lovely estate I photographed in Dusseldorf back in 2010 is probably my favourite of those I've seen:

Peugeot 404 estate

Made for an interesting comparison with the DS....

Citroen DS and Peugeot 404 estates

Having never seen a 404 in the flesh before, I was expecting it to be a lot smaller in size than a DS but it clearly isn't. 

A pretty car - its proportions hide its size. 

9 hours ago, Crackers said:

Having never seen a 404 in the flesh before, I was expecting it to be a lot smaller in size than a DS but it clearly isn't. 

A pretty car - its proportions hide its size. 

In saloon car form the 404 is 384mm (15.1 inch's) shorter than the DS.

Come the spring I hope they will be out together for full comparison.

Today with Andrew from the TSSC we set about putting the Saab V4 engine back together. We cleaned lots of things and refitted the pistons, camshaft, cam followers, oil pump, timing gears and front plate. We then fitted the external pully to the balance shaft, which had to be torqued to 36 ft/lbs. This is when I mucked up, I was aware that some of  V4 timing wheels are made of fibre but while cleaning the one for the balance shaft thought it was metal as it was heavy. I used the gear to wedge the balance shaft when Andrew torqued up the bolt for the external pully and chipped a small bit of fibre away.

I called Adrian who I bought the Saab from and part of the deal was a load of spares I have not collected yet. Yes he thinks there are spare timing wheels but he is away this weekend. He says he will look it out next week and bring it over. 

Andrew is going to help me reassemble the Saab engine and then I would like to get it and replacement fuel tank back in the car so it can drive it to under cover storage. I know it is cold with short days but I am thinking if we can raise a possy between Christmas and New Year, pop the engine back in and drive the car at last it would be great. So what what do you think about working off some of that Christmas excess?

IMG_20221125_123505 broad.jpg

IMG_20221125_150616 broad.jpg

37 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

if we can raise a possy between Christmas and New Year, pop the engine back in and drive the car at last it would be great. So what what do you think about working off some of that Christmas excess?

100% up for this if you don't mind me getting in the way. 

It turns out Shire horses really like Peugeot 404s!

With @Zelandethhelp we got the 404 fired up today without too much trouble. 

We noticed it is sucking air in the fuel filter and there is visible cracking on a rubber fuel pipe that needs attending to.

There is also a hot restart problem.

Temperature held steady and the right side indicator warning light works.

All in all I would call the first start up in my ownership a great success and we did drive 0.9km.

IMG_20221126_135514 broad.jpg

IMG_20221126_135541 broad.jpg

IMG_20221126_140522 broad.jpg

IMG_20221126_140634 broad.jpg

IMG_20221126_140644 broad.jpg

IMG_20221126_150414 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Peugeot 404 goes for a drive.