Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

On 27/07/2022 at 18:32, LightBulbFun said:

Just out of curiosity, if I can only make it to one of the 2 up coming gatherings

do you have a specific weekend out of the 2 that you recommend that I try and make it to?

keeping in mind that I am probably not much good for anything! so if theres a particular weekend out of these 2 where you will need all hands on deck/able bodied hands then obviously probably best I dont go to that one and just be a mill stone!

ideally id to make it to both of course!, but that banks on having REV back in time, and I have no clue as to if that will happen or not sadly

just so people can (mentally) prepare themselves

I plan to be at the 13/14th gathering :) 

Todays daily the Toledo at work.

Saab 95 now taxed and tax class changed to historic.

I called in on the garage who has our BiTurbo to drop off an oil filter and the car is looking sad in a corner while a brake calliper has gone off to be refurbished.

IMG_20220808_102706 broad.jpg

IMG_20220808_103832 broad.jpg

A couple more things for the FoD weekend job list

·         Find the Manta Rostyle wheels ready to have them refurbished and new tyres fitted.

·         Will the Manta fit on our trailer.

Although because of the gorgeous weather expected Mrs6C is saying I should put everybody on light duties.

Mrs6C says to help keep you cool she will set up her paddling pool so bring your trucks (or even trunks) because I don’t want naked men in the pool showing me up!

P1180049 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saab 95 event 13/14 Aug at FoD now with added paddling pool!
6 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

A couple more things for the FoD weekend job list

·         Find the Manta Rostyle wheels ready to have them refurbished and new tyres fitted.

·         Will the Manta fit on our trailer.

Although because of the gorgeous weather expected Mrs6C is saying I should put everybody on light duties.

Mrs6C says to help keep you cool she will set up her paddling pool so bring your trucks because I don’t want naked men in the pool showing me up!

P1180049 broad.jpg

pool doesn't look big enough for 'trucks'  😁

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

Oh FFS!

I'd check the actual voltage at the battery though.  I reckon the instrument panel voltmeter reads a bit low.

It changed while I was driving it and the needle gave a lower reading. As I left the pub the big red light of doom came on. I will put a volt meter on it tomorrow after I get home from our other activities.

An investigation of the Lancia seems to say I was panicking for nothing last night driving home after dark showing no charge. Further investigation is required on a cooler day.

Engine off shows 12.77v

Engine on shows 13.92v, gauge show 13/14v

Engine on with lights on shows 13.65v, gauge show about 13v, but last night was lower see last nights picture. Today switching the lights on bought the big red light on the dash on.

IMG_20220810_084339 broad.jpg

IMG_20220810_084415 broad.jpg

IMG_20220810_084555 broad.jpg

IMG_20220810_084425 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

An investigation of the Lancia seems to say I was panicking for nothing last night driving home after dark showing no charge. Further investigation is required on a cooler day.

Engine off shows 12.77v

Engine on shows 13.92v, gauge show 13/14v

Engine on with lights on shows 13.65v, gauge show about 13v, but last night was lower see last nights picture. Today switching the lights on bought the big red light on the dash on.

IMG_20220810_084339 broad.jpg

IMG_20220810_084415 broad.jpg

IMG_20220810_084555 broad.jpg

IMG_20220810_084425 broad.jpg

My guess is there's a grounding issue with the dash, and the added load of the panel lighting being on is making it have a fit.  That would explain the low voltmeter reading (bearing in mind it used to show about 9V at idle if the blower fan was on).

The red light is probably the bulb failure monitoring system continuing to have a meltdown...it seems to do integrity testing of all the dash lamps as well, so if there's a grounding issue in the panel causing odd voltages it could be triggering a false positive.

Basically: I trust any readings on that dash about as far as I can throw it!

I did mean to mechanically test the oil pressure as the engine sounds far more healthy than the gauge would suggest when warm.

Once the weather gets a bit cooler I'll look at getting a definitely decent ground hooked into the panel.  Probably wouldn't be the worst idea to investigate where the bus lines that the heavy ignition switched loads come from and see how hard it would be to put a decent relay switched supply to them.  I seem to remember the wipers being very sluggish now I think about it too.

Stuff ain't actually too bad access wise as I remember once the dash face is removed so probably wouldn't be the worst job.

The Saab 95 is now showing up Taxed and insured (you will still need your own 3rd party to drive). Also no MOT is needed. All ready for the road to the chip shop then, well not quite we need to start the engine for the first time for many years and we might need to see what the brakes are like!

Who is coming to join us this weekend for this epic event?

z DVLA Check 11 Aug 2022.jpg

IMG_20220810_104828 broad.jpg

On 15/07/2022 at 17:08, LightBulbFun said:

who wants to bet it will be re-scheduled right on the 13th/14th of August

I have really got to stop saying things! no the operation has not been rescheduled for that date, they have just decided that they are going to close Euston station for the 13th... FFS

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/301926.aspx

image.png.ed6c078300234a19c7c252c07c8b4606.png

the extra annoying thing is, I checked for disruptions and this was not there 2 days ago! its a good thing I keep an eye on these things or id had a bad time on Saturday!

safe to say it does not look like ill be able to make it sadly

@Six-cylinder/ @Mrs6C how do my boat and station lift options for the 20/21st look? (assuming they dont close euston again)

granted I know there is industrial action on those days as well and and I see there are only slow trains back to London on that Sunday

so I am just wondering if I should stay home, before it has a chance to fuck me about again, because clearly life does not want me to have any sort of a good time LOL