Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

12 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

I actually thought it was Continuously Variable Transmission, but what do I know?

EDIT: Just googled it.

Continuously variable transmission

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A continuously variable transmission (CVT),

Turns out I do know stuff after all. Who'd have thought it. Certainly not me.

EDIT again: Six-cylinder beat me to it. I know stuff but can only type really slowly.

SlowSilver on Saturday.

147F9541-2235-4F66-8CEB-FAF39D632471.png

Gy6 seems to ring bells with me but dont hold me to that, 

Dropping the belt drive cover off required the kick start lever taking off, the plastic side step then it's multiple 8 or 10mm bolts into the casing. The red side panel could stay on. 

There was originally a paper gasket on the CVT housing  but  seem to remember smearing a splodge of hylomar or rtv on there when I last looked.

The little clutch and pulley is like this. 

Screenshot_20190709-194023.jpg

Another fun fact. I have a small scar on my arm from the cooling fins on the pulley of this fine piece of engineering. 

I had heated the centre nut to release the loctite take the pulley off and the aluminium soaked all the heat up sharpish so when doctor dipshit here then proceeded to lean my arm down on the pulley by mistake I burned the shape of a small table into my arm.  

Usual stuff to get us ready Festival of  the Unexceptional camping  next weekend

Drinking tea

Cut grass

Erect tent for HQ

Fixing list

Jinling

Roller, tighten bolts and find/adapt and fit a 50mm tow hitch.

Peugeot 50cc scooter

Honda field moped, see if it works!

Fix Hayter Condor mower

Test pilot for VP1500 following petrol leak repair!

Take apart and photograph black range Rover to sell spares 

Polish Alfa Giulietta

And for those with a death wish there is now a fully working 125cc scooter on site!

P1390294 broad.jpg

16 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

continuously variable transmission

I invented one of those when I was still at school (very early 1970's)  ...well so I thought . .

P1320001.JPG.4874c019ccf3fcaf4b422fa6aa2bc5e6.JPG

^ Using two cones, both with high-friction surfaces ; one as the gearbox input shaft, the other as output.   A tertiary shaft carries an idle wheel, also with a high friction surface (like a tyre) to bear against both cones.  This wheel might be controlled to move up and down the shaft, and in doing so transfer the drive at different ratios.   Very simple and lightweight with few moving parts, probably running dry with sealed bearings ..and as the title says : continuously variable.   ie., absolutely no steps between bottom and top gears.  My best friend at the time laughed and told me DAF had already done it, so I realised I must be a right twit and so didn't bother inventing much more.  And of those I never had the self-esteem to pursue them commercially or for good cause,  nor even to tell anyone else. ( I still use the hot air bed warmer though ..each winter)  :rolleyes:.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:29 AM, Six-cylinder said:

In addition to my new toy I believe there is to be a vehicle deliver to the FoD this Saturday afternoon for another member of the forum, but I have been sworn to secrecy!

Car under cover.jpg

I know what is is! And I'm sworn to secrecy but it'll be very cool!

Then I pop round to see Mum at lunchtime and she's got a stonking massive cold so I bet won't be wanting to come this weekend so I can't play as freely as I'd like as I'll need to watch 2 kids who will just want to climb all over the digger... Yey

On 7/10/2019 at 6:29 AM, Six-cylinder said:

In addition to my new toy I believe there is to be a vehicle deliver to the FoD this Saturday afternoon for another member of the forum, but I have been sworn to secrecy!

Car under cover.jpg

That’s a good CPT challenge, I reckon BMW M3 4dr saloon of whatever the generation that’s just been replaced is (F90?).