Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

18 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

What I really need is a picture of the part of the wiring diagram which shows the connections for the temperature and fuel gauges and senders. The Maestro ones only show the wires going into different pins on an unmarked connector and not coming out again, with no sign of any kind of voltage regulation.

I’ll have a look but can’t promise magic results 😀

If  it gets too hard I’ll just post you the whole book! 

2 hours ago, adw1977 said:

This one and a white van?  Shame they've gone, but I think that whole estate is getting redeveloped in stages.

2020-10-23_10-14-15.thumb.jpg.20cbccfdb84be97e8667faa2c9e8dbc5.jpg

Yeah, they'd been there donkeys years, gone now. The estate is getting a badly needed revamp but the area they were in isn't being touched I don't think. 

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

I have been busy at work so my car play time has been limited lately, but today I had collect my black Alfa 156 from my favourite garage. What a delight to drive, a delicacy that our Mercedes's can't manage and spinning up a free revving 2.5 V6 driving though a 6 speed manual I was a young hooligan again for a bit! Not for too long as I took Mrs6C shopping and had to drive with some decorum.

When I parked the 156 in storage during the summer it had good brakes, when I collected it the brakes were almost no existent. Turns out a front solid brake pipe had fractured and I only had rear brakes. Mice with a hack saw, no it was rusty.

Anyway even in the rain it looks great.

IMG_20201029_130344 broad.jpg

15 minutes ago, SiC said:

Alfa electrics haunting it already and broken the wipers? 🤔😆

Not at all, I switched the ignition off mid stroke and reviewing the photos tonight wish I had let them park. The wipers have 4 intermittent speeds which is nice.

That gives me an excuse for another photo from today, no no no the RAC van was nothing to do with me!

IMG_20201029_125926 broad.jpg

19 minutes ago, dave j said:

I can't leave a car with the wipers like that, I always have to let them stop in the right place!

Alfa 156's seem to have disappeared as I haven't seen one for quite a while! 

I know the wipers are a disgrace and the second photo they were switched on intermittent and I was waiting for them to park before snapping. I have been waiting for @dollywobblerto complain I have fitted those horrid flat wipers blades to it.

That is because we have got them all, in other words both that are left!

IMG_20181221_145522 crop 156s broad.jpg

Wipers always seem an afterthought with modern car wiring and relays. I've had a few fancy cars and they all do everything with all of the electrics... 

Bar self parking the wipers when you turn the key off. Lights windows, radio, all work for a while after. Wipers, dead stop... 

Guess if I bought the right car it would

57 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Bar self parking the wipers when you turn the key off. Lights windows, radio, all work for a while after. Wipers, dead stop... 

Our 2010 A4 doesn't auto park the wipers on ignition off. However the 2008 TT and 2005 Golf we had both did. Not even an option to do when fiddling with VCDS. 

6 minutes ago, HMC said:

My Lincoln town car used to bring them out from behind the edge of the bonnet on intermittent to rest on the lower edge of the screen, and back again after you’d finished with them.

Lexus LS400 also does the same, just dropping back down when you turn them off. Far better than the Montego/800 system of wipers jumping around all over the place before parking, and only parking after a full sweep.

My new car!

Not really just a friend visiting, for years he has been grooming me that a GT4 is a great car. He has two, this one that is JDM and a uk car that has been modified to over 500 bhp, track focused while remaining street legal.

I like the looks, they go well enough, but are high maintenance with some surprisingly high parts costs.

IMG_20201031_064744 broad.jpg

IMG_20201031_064825 broad.jpg