Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

@SlowsilverThe dashboard in all post 87 Maestros is a Montego one.
From memory by there was  a very half-arsed refresh of the Maestro in late 87 or spring 88 and the Montego dash was a major part of that.  I assume all switchgear, controls on this one is all Montego as well. 

I have a HBOL for Montego 2.0, if you need any scans. Or you/Chris can have it if it helps. Let me know and I will chuck in the post.

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

The dashboard in all post late 87 Maestros is a Montego one. I assume all switchgear, controls on this etc is all Montego as well. 

I have a HBOL for Montego 2.0, if you need any scans. Or Chris can have it if he wants it.

Thanks but it came with a HBOL that does not line up with what in behind the dash.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - The Maestro has landed!

Where do the body colour bumpers line up in the maestro range? My younger self remembers y reg models  on the road with them but I don’t remember late clubmans with them?  As ever leading the way but also going backwards in development terms!

6 minutes ago, HMC said:

Where do the body colour bumpers line up in the maestro range? My younger self remembers y reg models  on the road with them but I don’t remember late clubmans with them?  As ever leading the way but also going backwards in development terms!

Base Maestros had metal bumpers at launch, all the others from L upwards had plastic body coloured ones.

Metal bumpers were reintroduced on Clubmans when they become a bargain basement spec in late 1989. ‘Posher’ Maestros were dropped at this point to encourage customers into the new Rover R8.

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Thanks to Slowsilver for turning out on a very wet miserable day. The wet weather prevented lots of pictures and standing about admiring it.

The car started with a jump and we added some petrol, while I did the paperwork Slowsilver gave it a good look over and declared while it had been stood for 10 months everything worked except one fog light so I drove it home.

IMG_20201021_131431 broad.jpg

IMG_20201021_131451 broad.jpg

IMG_20201021_135152 broad.jpg

IMG_20201021_135156 broad.jpg

IMG_20201021_121626 broad.jpg

From the pictures that looks extra ordinarily clean. Especially for the miles it's done. Was it garaged for a lot of its life?

Keeper? 

(I'm talking about the car here to be clear, not @Slowsilver 😁🤣)

38 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Base Maestros had metal bumpers at launch, all the others from L upwards had plastic body coloured ones.

Metal bumpers were reintroduced on Clubmans when they become a bargain basement spec in late 1989. ‘Posher’ Maestros were dropped at this point to encourage customers into the new Rover R8.

You could still get an LX though right up until the end of "normal" production, and that had body colour bumpers.

P.S. What kind of person voluntarily spends 2 hours in the cold and the pouring rain sitting in an old Maestro swearing at the dashboard? Answers on a postcard please.

If you are questioning your actions. Rest assured that your mental faculties are all there. You’re just weird.

4 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

This is the picture in the Montego HBOL, which covers the dash and instruments in your Maestro; 

86E58865-81BE-4131-B344-F5E90D01A53C.jpeg

What I really need is a picture of the part of the wiring diagram which shows the connections for the temperature and fuel gauges and senders. The Maestro ones only show the wires going into different pins on an unmarked connector and not coming out again, with no sign of any kind of voltage regulation.

9 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

What I really need is a picture of the part of the wiring diagram which shows the connections for the temperature and fuel gauges and senders. The Maestro ones only show the wires going into different pins on an unmarked connector and not coming out again, with no sign of any kind of voltage regulation.

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but the gauges are likely to have a separate feed from the fuse box so it might be worth checking things at that end before getting too involved in the dash panel.   

There's someone near-ish me that has three Metros on the drive. Even Streetview shows two of them. I wonder if there is any hidden in the garage. Bet there are a few other people in this world that have been hoarding them.

Screenshot_20201022-125111.thumb.png.044674fc76ab1e518321f0246bef09e7.png

I've yet to drive one. Very nearly bought BeEP too.

Heard mix things about them but usually extremes. Some say they're dire, some say they're quite fun to drive.

Edit: looking at that picture I noticed they must love the royal family a lot!

Screenshot_20201022-125133.thumb.png.0134a1d05e41ee2309a8604151b3b399.png