Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I am having a Ford Day!

Six-cylinder

The Trevi is in disgrace as it is refusing to start. I thought it was just Italian temperament and if I kept trying it would eventually go , but no.

Today @ianbmw came to help me, we squirted easy start in but not a cough.  Next we tried for a spark and the HT lead from the coil gives a fat spark. From the spark plug leads we got the weakest of sparks. This evening I have ordered  spark plugs, HT Leads, Distributor cap and rotor arm.

IMG_20201018_144816 broad.jpg

IMG_20201018_153212 broad.jpg

11 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

The Trevi is in disgrace as it is refusing to start. I thought it was just Italian temperament and if I kept trying it would eventually go , but no.

Today @ianbmw came to help me, we squirted easy start in but not a cough.  Next we tried for a spark and the HT lead from the coil gives a fat spark. From the spark plug leads we got the weakest of sparks. This evening I have ordered  spark plugs, HT Leads, Distributor cap and rotor arm.

IMG_20201018_144816 broad.jpg

IMG_20201018_153212 broad.jpg

If it’s like the Mercedes 300 engine, I’d suspect the distributor.

The green Range Rover is still not running and now I think it needs an autosparks to workout why there is no sparks.

Today @ianbmw bought over a gift of his old wheels and tyres for it because the tyres on it are are cracked and not going pass a MOT. This is optimism that one day it will run! 

IMG_20201018_155536 broad.jpg

...If we've got a dodgy spark that may well be a contributing factor to why it seems to be impossible to dial the carb in to run smoothly across anything like a useful band.  Would also explain why there were brief periods where it seemed to run lovely for a few minutes before playing up again.

Have to confess to having got tunnel vision there and homes straight in on the carb (which does need a service kit, for the gasket if nothing else) and beyond clipping on one loose HT lead properly never really looked at the ignition side.  My bad!

I did some cleaning tonight. 

First, using the v11 with the mini turbo head I got a bin full of sand out

20201019_201604.thumb.jpg.6fef254693c6543dbcbb27f7bee16950.jpg

Then each piece of carpet got a good spray with g101, scrubbed with a stiff brush by hand then extracted with my vax full of plain hot water

20201019_192743.thumb.jpg.d088dc58b205ef2aa67fc6d04950af26.jpg

Rinse and repeat (ha) for it all and it came up quite well! 

20201019_193623.thumb.jpg.1199a53f9410a99091f6cadbdf3e7e01.jpg

20201019_193632.thumb.jpg.5987067e815bd8d08f7ee6aa4a7ac7b0.jpg

They came up very well! They would have taken a drill brush, their in excellent condition but they didn't need it. No stains to speak of, but decades of grime washed out and they've brightened up no end! 

Its currently all behind pretty much every radiator in th e house waiting for the heating to come on in the morning and dry them, then I'll vacuum them again.

The drivers footwell mat needs re stitching though... It's held on by one side though

Today I collected our XM from MOT and service, we have had it 1 year 8 months and 4800 miles. When I bought it @dean36014promised me that he would send me a drivers door check strap he had bought as the original was broken, but had not been delivered in time for the handover. True to his word the door check strap turned up in days, it has taken me until this week for me to have it fitted. It is great to have a driver's door that does not try to bash your legs getting out!

IMG_20201020_130428 broad.jpg

IMG_20201020_130450 broad.jpg

This blue box really is a Tardis!

I had to move an Allegro wing today and stood it by the front door to contemplate what car to use. It seemed a fair size so I selected the 200TE wondering if I would have to put the seats down. Somehow the wing shrunk when it entered the Tardis boot!

IMG_20201020_161654 broad.jpg

IMG_20201020_162026 broad.jpg

27 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today I collected our XM from MOT and service, we have had it 1 year 8 months and 4800 miles. When I bought it @dean36014promised me that he would send me a drivers door check strap he had bought as the original was broken, but had not been delivered in time for the handover. True to his word the door check strap turned up in days, it has taken me until this week for me to have it fitted. It is great to have a driver's door that does not try to bash your legs getting out!

IMG_20201020_130428 broad.jpg

IMG_20201020_130450 broad.jpg

I hadn’t noticed. Perhaps I’m used to my x1/9 doing the same.

17 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

This blue box really is a Tardis!

I had to move an Allegro wing today and stood it by the front door to contemplate what car to use. It seemed a fair size so I selected the 200TE wondering if I would have to put the seats down. Somehow the wing shrunk when it entered the Tardis boot!

IMG_20201020_161654 broad.jpg

IMG_20201020_162026 broad.jpg

I think any replacement for the daily w124 coupe will have to be an estate.

Action stations!

I don't often seem to be fit the usual  collection pattern but today there is a plan. so have a picture of my breakfast to get you in the mood.

I have never seen it but a friend has, he dropped a note on my mat Sunday afternoon about a poor bereaved car........

The late owner's sister tells me it is currently a non starter but was running. 180,000 miles, 6 weeks MOT.

so what is it? No, I am going to make you wait until this afternoon, 1988F, red is all I am saying because I know you lot the smallest of clues and you will have it, you are too good at the game.

IMG_20201021_084551 broad.jpg

IMG_20201018_180712 number blocked broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Standby for incoming!
7 minutes ago, SiC said:

Morris Traveller sounds interesting! Are you collecting that too?

I'm pretty sure it'll be something PSA ...

Traveller is a problem, it is derelict and fit for a few parts only. The trouble is it is in a shed in the back garden but is now land locked by new housing behind.  

33 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Traveller is a problem, it is derelict and fit for a few parts only. The trouble is it is in a shed in the back garden but is now land locked by new housing behind.  

That's a shame. Sounds like it'll have to be cut up into small bits and removed that way. 

I really quite like the idea of Traveller and it's a rare classic that gets the thumbs up from Mrs SiC. Unfortunately, given what they go for now, it'll probably have to be something needing work! 

I'm surprised you don't have one or anything Morris Minor based in your collection. 

4 minutes ago, SiC said:

I'm surprised you don't have one or anything Morris Minor based in your collection. 

You had to drag that subject up again!

We had a Traveller and the gearbox failed in it no longer had 2nd or 3rd. It still sort of worked cane it in 1st, lug it in 4th. At the same time my Bond Equipe 2.0 Ltr convertible project had stalled so I did a deal with a guy where he would MOT and make the Bond usable and in payment he would get the Morris with the broken gearbox. Mrs6C has never forgiven me!

Morris Traveller 01.jpg