Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

9 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

We had a friend stay last night and he has two st205 Toyota GT4s, but he arrived in has new Yaris GR last night. As ugly as it is ever since they were announced I have wanted one. Completely reengineered to form a basis for a rally car, but never used. To me it seems a very special car and nothing to do with the current crop of new cars.

I know burn the heretic!

IMG_20211107_072448 broad.jpg

IMG_20211107_072505 broad.jpg

IMG_20211107_072534 broad.jpg

For a small car it’s got a huge arse.

A friend of mine recently bought a '99 300m with non-start issue,most likely due to immobilizer/ECU failure. Told him to take the ECU, SKIM module, key and ignition barrel out of his parts donor and replace it all, hopefully it'll all work out but I cannot see why not if the cars are otherwise almost identical. Let me know how things go with that Sebring, I'm not sure if the remote fob receiver would need replacing too or if it's relatively easy to program the donor one to the car.

10 hours ago, Schaefft said:

Yeah, because he just wants to disable the immobilizer instead of spending money on parts. Doesn't quite seem to work out though.

I would be happy for a delete if the replacement kit does not work.

Alarms and immobilizers have always been a pain especially when I was in the motor trade 1980/1990s.

On 11/7/2021 at 9:19 AM, Six-cylinder said:

We had a friend stay last night and he has two st205 Toyota GT4s, but he arrived in has new Yaris GR last night. As ugly as it is ever since they were announced I have wanted one. Completely reengineered to form a basis for a rally car, but never used. To me it seems a very special car and nothing to do with the current crop of new cars.

I know burn the heretic!

IMG_20211107_072448 broad.jpg

IMG_20211107_072505 broad.jpg

IMG_20211107_072534 broad.jpg

There's a couple of threads in the modern forum about them. @Wack and @Liggle have  them, and I'm on the waiting list - 2023 at this rate.

I went to look at one up for £38k (list price £34k), and they are a special special thing.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes
On 11/7/2021 at 9:19 AM, Six-cylinder said:

To me it seems a very special car and nothing to do with the current crop of new cars.

I know burn the heretic!

Yes they are the most appealing new 'regular' (ish) car at the moment in my opinion

On 11/7/2021 at 10:54 AM, Zelandeth said:

Can't imagine using one as a daily as I imagine the ride in particular is bloody uncomfortable, they sound like epic fun as a weekend toy though.

They are perfectly daily-able, it rides better than my R53 JCW Mini does but is about on the limit for firmness, I have the Circuit Pack though. @Wackhas a standard one which rides better.  The only drawback with daily driving is the road noise on the motorway but it has a stereo and decent induction noise so thats easily overcome :D

On 11/7/2021 at 10:54 AM, Zelandeth said:

Can't imagine using one as a daily as I imagine the ride in particular is bloody uncomfortable, they sound like epic fun as a weekend toy though.

Mine is surprisingly comfortable , I'd have no problems with using it as a daily even if I worked 25 miles away , mine is a standard car though , no track suspension, don't know if the dunlops are quieter that the michelins on the circuit pack but I can't say road noise bothers me , you don't have to raise your voice on the motorway though I did read a post on the GR forum about a guy adding some sound deadening in the boot  which made it much quieter for only a few KG

2 hours ago, Wack said:

Mine is surprisingly comfortable , I'd have no problems with using it as a daily even if I worked 25 miles away , mine is a standard car though , no track suspension, don't know if the dunlops are quieter that the michelins on the circuit pack but I can't say road noise bothers me , you don't have to raise your voice on the motorway though I did read a post on the GR forum about a guy adding some sound deadening in the boot  which made it much quieter for only a few KG

My friend Don who has GR was disappointed with the gearchange and has fitted a short shifter kit which he likes very much.

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

My friend Don who has GR was disappointed with the gearchange and has fitted a short shifter kit which he likes very much.

I think I'll be leaving mine standard , done 1100 miles in it now , not found anything I'm unhappy with , though I think I'll stick some deadening mats in the boot after reading this 

. I stuck 4 Dodo type sound deadening mats in the boot - two on the steel floor and two on the bit of the wheelarches I could get to. I also put a piece of sound deadening foam/vinyl/foam about 20mm thick under the boot carpet. What a difference and added only a couple of kg in weight.

40 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Any love for a diesel visa?

I think it is this car, when I last saw it 5 years ago it looked like it needed a lot of work. I can't remember the details unfortunately.

I think it is worth having even if it ends up as a spares car, but we have too many cars on site.

P1080104 broad.jpg

P1080096 broad.jpg

Today Clio met Zoe and they had a nice chat, I don’t know what they said as it was in French!

The real car story for today is Keith, @beko1987 wicked step dad came over to help me with the Toledo parts required list.

I have bought lots of parts as I saw them but needed to inspect them to check there condition and found that one of the indicator units has a stuck screw and one of the headlight pods is missing its retaining ring. I still need to find some of the parts I have bought, I have got a list and also the parts needed list to see if any more progress can be made getting all the parts I need. The forecast said dry but unfortunately it rained and it was all a bit hurried in the end.

I am then thinking of a cold and miserable winter Mini FoD to see what parts can be fitting as I am sure we won’t know the whole list until we have started reassembling it.

IMG_20211111_103108 broad.jpg

IMG_20211111_113828 broad.jpg

IMG_20211111_113648 broad.jpg

IMG_20211111_113912 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Today Clio met Zoe!

To my surprise I got a letter from BMW yesterday about a recall on my 23 year old E36 323i. Supernaut has it now and I have PMed him. I had phoned BMW customer service and they say he should just contact his local dealer.

Strange thing is there is no recall for my 1996 E36 328i.

IMG_20211112_085326 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes
On 11/11/2021 at 8:17 PM, Six-cylinder said:

I have found the entire front wiring loom is missing for the lights and horns.

IMG_20210320_122155 broad.jpg

Do you have the headlights and do they have any wires attached? Because what is missing is probably not very much. And they probably attach to the clump of wires in the bottom left corner. 

My 1300 is the other way round. The main loom runs down the drivers side. Then a mini loom runs off the offside headlight/indicator along the front of the car to nearside lights, but there's not much to it. 

Ah, OK. Should still be fairly simple. I know on mine the headlamp wiring is purple or purple/white so easy to find and simply use those rubber bullet connectors. Yours may not be purple but it'll be listed in the wiring diagram if you have one.