Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

26 minutes ago, Talbot said:

I think, being an amber lamp rather than a red one, that's an oil level warning lamp rather than an oil pressure one.  TBH, I'd rather have a gauge than a lamp anyway.   I tend to be able to scan analogue needles like that fairly well in my peripheral vision (IE without actually looking at them) and knowing if everything is OK or not.  A lamp means "too late", a gauge gives you half-a-chance of spotting an issue developing.

The oil pressure switch was replaced a year ago with a genuine one from Mercedes.  

50 minutes ago, Talbot said:

I think, being an amber lamp rather than a red one, that's an oil level warning lamp rather than an oil pressure one.  TBH, I'd rather have a gauge than a lamp anyway.   I tend to be able to scan analogue needles like that fairly well in my peripheral vision (IE without actually looking at them) and knowing if everything is OK or not.  A lamp means "too late", a gauge gives you half-a-chance of spotting an issue developing.

Indeed Oil Level lamp.

IMG_20210927_190749 broad.jpg

On 9/26/2021 at 11:23 AM, Six-cylinder said:

I am at the BL day at Milton Keynes museum, they made me park outside the fence because I turned up with the Sovereign S2! 

IMG_20210926_095503.jpg

I am sure my series 3 Daimler had BL stickers under the bonnet. It was a good few years ago but I do not think I am wrong. Mine was late 1983 but I thought BL took over a couple of years before yours was made.

59 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

I am sure my series 3 Daimler had BL stickers under the bonnet. It was a good few years ago but I do not think I am wrong. Mine was late 1983 but I thought BL took over a couple of years before yours was made.

1966 Jaguar amalgamated with Austin-Morris to form BMC. 1968 BMC merged with Leyland to form British Leyland. The inner field was organised into various groups based around clubs.

My name was not on the list so I wasn't getting in!☹️

Still a good day, just walking is hard for me at the moment and luckily @Slowsilver let me rest in his Maxi that was in the main field.

IMG_20210926_103752 broad.jpg

26 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

1966 Jaguar with amalgamated with Austin-Morris to form BMC. 1968 BMC merged with Leyland to form British Leyland. The inner field was organised into various groups based around clubs.

Still a good day, just walking is hard for me at the moment and luckily @Slowsilver let me rest in his Maxi that was in the main field.

Just watching series 2 of minder - Christopher biggins is a tailor and Derek Jacobi a con man. In jack Barclays in Barkley square Arthur says he’ll stick with the maxi.

44 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

1966 Jaguar amalgamated with Austin-Morris to form BMC. 1968 BMC merged with Leyland to form British Leyland. The inner field was organised into various groups based around clubs.

I must put on my anorak here and correct your timeline slightly . In 1966 Jaguar were forced into a merger with BMC as BMC had snaffled Pressed Steel , who of course made Jag’s bodies. This created British Motor Holdings which subsequently merged with Leyland, as you say, in 1968. 
By any metric, a Series 2 XJ or Daimler is the most BL Jag ever made ! 

I must put on my anorak here and correct your timeline slightly . In 1966 Jaguar were forced into a merger with BMC as BMC had snaffled Pressed Steel , who of course made Jag’s bodies. This created British Motor Holdings which subsequently merged with Leyland, as you say, in 1968. 
By any metric, a Series 2 XJ or Daimler is the most BL Jag ever made ! 
Did pressed steel also make Hillman imp bodies, as my dad was a draftsman for them in Glasgow?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Todays good news is I have collected the Xantia Activa with its new MOT today.

The only bad bit is the boot central locking motor has been declared dead. Trouble is it jams so a replacement is now been sort, but £50 for a new one seems a bit strong.

IMG_20210928_151736 broad.jpg

IMG_20210928_152202 broad.jpg

IMG_20210928_183554 broad.jpg

On 9/21/2021 at 12:16 PM, Six-cylinder said:

My Grandad always favoured the Austin 1800 Land crabs and as a child the back seat seemed vast!

First car I remember was my dad’s Austin 1800, it seemed enormous to a toddler but no doubt would look quite small parked next to a ‘supermini’ these days. 

For a few years my dad had a Austin 1800 MkII whilst my mum had a Wolseley 18/85, in 73-77 or about then the Greenwoods of Billingshurst were  a two Landcrab family! 

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

First car I remember was my dad’s Austin 1800, it seemed enormous to a toddler but no doubt would look quite small parked next to a ‘supermini’ these days. 

For a few years my dad had a Austin 1800 MkII whilst my mum had a Wolseley 18/85, in 73-77 or about then the Greenwoods of Billingshurst were  a two Landcrab family! 

The parents of one of my school friends had a Landcrab & a Maxi in the late 1980s, when both looked quite old fashioned.

Later one they had a thing for Volvo 240 estates, & there was one still one the drive when I last passed their house.

Both had professional jobs, so it seemed to be an eccentric middle class choice rather than conscious bangernomics.

Finally grabbed those pics @Six-cylinder

IMG20211004144118.thumb.jpg.b371470706428d7975cb1da47343c0ef.jpg

IMG20211004143854.thumb.jpg.692969ee6ba58761f778752bc6c58c47.jpg

First time in forever the garage door was open and an old bloke was pottering about. I mustered up the courage to speak to him, and asked if I could take pictures. He was more than happy to oblige and we had a bit of a chat. 

Sadly, Derek's eyesight is failing , so he fears he'll never get some of his projects finished. He said he's hoping his family take them on. He also had a Tr4 and a 100e under covers.

1 hour ago, DoctorRetro said:

Finally grabbed those pics @Six-cylinder

IMG20211004144118.thumb.jpg.b371470706428d7975cb1da47343c0ef.jpg

IMG20211004143854.thumb.jpg.692969ee6ba58761f778752bc6c58c47.jpg

First time in forever the garage door was open and an old bloke was pottering about. I mustered up the courage to speak to him, and asked if I could take pictures. He was more than happy to oblige and we had a bit of a chat. 

Sadly, Derek's eyesight is failing , so he fears he'll never get some of his projects finished. He said he's hoping his family take them on. He also had a Tr4 and a 100e under covers.

That looks very sad. 

Last taxed 1986.

The create looks good and useful though!

Today was a good day!

My Clio has been away to get MOTed, a tense moment in any fathers cars life. Turns out both front springs were broken, a steering rack boot torn and the emissions had to be fiddled with to get it to pass. Overall I am very pleased as this Renault was also very close to death and I celebrated by having a light oil change service done.

It is now imitating a cork in a bottle and blocking all the large powerful cars in on the drive!

IMG_20211007_181819 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today was a good day!

My Clio has been away to get MOTed, a tense moment in any fathers cars life. Turns out both front springs were broken, a steering rack boot torn and the emissions had to be fiddled with to get it to pass. Overall I am very pleased as this Renault was also very close to death and I celebrated by having a light oil change service done.

It is now imitating a cork in a bottle and blocking all the large powerful cars in on the drive!

IMG_20211007_181819 broad.jpg

Nicole!

have you had chance to drive my* Mercedes yet?

33 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

It's such a lovely colour though... I bet down the roads you drive its quite good! Wind it up to speed then keep it there (might go better now with new springs) 

Strange thing there were no bangs or bongs on the Clio that I experienced in other broken spring cars. It is a 90 bhp 1.6 so even with the auto gearbox it goes along just fine.

32 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Nicole!

have you had chance to drive my* Mercedes yet?

I have to used the excuse that I borrowed it from Nicole, when people have considered it as an unsuitable car for me!

There is no petrol in your E320  and I have not ventured out yet to try and find petrol for it.

Just now, Six-cylinder said:

I have to used the excuse that I borrowed it from Nicole, when people have considered it as an unsuitable car for me!

There is no petrol in your E320  and I have not ventured out yet to try and find petrol for it.

People* must have enjoyed it. It had 50miles into a full tank when it left me!

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today was a good day!

Yikes!  I'm a bit worried that I missed the springs and the steering rack boot.  I'm glad GoldCar lives to see another day, it really wafts along very nicely indeed. 

Mrs Boom was quite taken by it, so I can envisage getting one for myself her before long.

6 minutes ago, CaptainBoom said:

Yikes!  I'm a bit worried that I missed the springs and the steering rack boot.  I'm glad GoldCar lives to see another day, it really wafts along very nicely indeed. 

Mrs Boom was quite taken by it, so I can envisage getting one for myself her before long.

Were you a former owner?

That Clio is in such a 1990s colour.

Everything was briefly colourful in the mid/late 90s before the onset of The Silver Overlords. 

Hopefully colours will return when everyone has to work out which Tesla Model 3 or VW ID4 of the 300 of each in the car park is theirs. 

I’ll take my Tesla in 1996 Rover Amaranth please. 

7 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

That Clio is in such a 1990s colour.

Everything was briefly colourful in the mid/late 90s before the onset of The Silver Overlords. 

Hopefully colours will return when everyone has to work out which Tesla Model 3 or VW ID4 of the 300 of each in the car park is theirs. 

I’ll take my Tesla in 1996 Rover Amaranth please. 

Rover Nightfire for me please.

I think Rover Nightfire is the best colour ever, but have only managed to have one car in it.

P1400580 broad v2.jpg