Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

I have new discs for my Peugeot 504, at least Autodoc claim they will fit.

I have ordered twice before with different firms and had my money returned as computer said they had stock but non was there.

These came from Germany and there was a problem delivering them because the address on the label was written out of order. Starting with the road name and moving to house name, village, postcode then post town. I guess it would have looked odd to the Germans but this problem was Parcel Force in Milton Keynes couldn't work out the address!

IMG_20210827_171043 broad.jpg

IMG_20210827_171113 broad.jpg

Sorry, won’t be able to make the September meeting either. Our new lab. Fume cupboards are due the following Monday, so will be spending the whole weekend clearing out the lab. It’s only taken 8months rather than the usual 4 weeks delivery! £60,000 too!

Incoming - ever wondered what happened to @RobT Renault Clio RN 1.6 Auto!

Yes, Six-cylinder bought all the best cheap cars again. This time Mrs6C said what do you want that for!

It was cheap, I like the shape, I like it is 1.6 Auto, I like the colour, I have bought great cars from the seller before and it might be my run around over the winter.

Being Autoshite when I asked for a volunteer to drive a slightly broken car from south London to Buckingham one stepped forward.

It may have been self preservation so he did not stop on the side of the road but Captainboom fixed the electric supply problem to the fuel pump and exhaust mounting. For that I am most grateful. Yes I bought a slightly broken car and it was delivered to me fixed. So a big THANK YOU to @CaptainBoom for all his help.

IMG_20210829_164447 broad.jpg

IMG_20210829_170745 broad.jpg

IMG_20210829_164524 broad.jpg

IMG_20210829_174129 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Incoming!
2 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

My stepmum had an S reg one of these in green for a spell (when it was new) ! 

Remember the back being fucking small with me, my stepbrother and stepsister in and the front doors being huge! 

Mrs6C has already remarked it is too small to fit a scythe in.

I was going to do a collection thread, but the distance involved from getting it from RobT was so short (compared with some of the astounding journeys that are shown on these fair pages) that a poo count would have been a struggle to have got past zero and Nicole's/Papa's Renault didn't need petrol for two days after the collection so a pez shot would have been difficult, but here are some edited highlights:

As it was the summer holidays, I had my, 'We've been following a splodge of ketchup on the map instead of the A224' manual navigator unit and dropped tool retrieval device with me. 

20210825_134317846_iOS.thumb.jpg.1f5eb350a496dfa2605034f42f4fecf4.jpgArmed with car seats, we hopped onto a Southeastern Railways grafitti strewn cattle cart for a journey to meet RobT, who is a true gent and took great pains to explain to me where the fuel pump wire had been fixed (in case it un-fixed itself on the journey home).  The Clio started and the tailights disappeared into the busy traffic of South East London, so that was the warranty expired.  It got home without any issues.  I had a pile of tools and length of wire with crocodile clips (as well as two obliging volunteers children that can be coerced) just in case.

20210825_235500708_iOSedit.thumb.jpg.6966ab5f5e4c0251d2d4156b7cfc471a.jpgThat night at work during a 'lunch hour' I had a tickle with the fuel pump wiring.  The back of the fuse terminal had been a bit French and broken off, leaving a tiny stub of metal and a loose wire.  Naughty Renault!   A bit of solder, a new length of clean (thicker gauge) wire and some heatshrink produced a strong repair.  RobT had laid the foundations of this repair, as he had cut down the plastic sheath off the fuse box, all I did was Pritt Stick it together.

I drove the Clio a fair bit in the days in between, I really enjoyed it's simplicity and honest 'an-car'ness.  It does the job it was set out to do admirably.  All of the controls are to hand and logical, it seats four without fuss, the four speed automatic is competent and will change up promptly if you are gentle with it.  It's a much more mature 'package' than the Mark 1 Clio that I used to have.

I guess I'll have to find another one now!

I also received complaints from the rearward fitted navigator that there was a grating noise coming from the exhaust and banging going over bumps.  As the roads where we live haven't seen Tarmacadam in many a year and the locals will nick even the dressing off the road, I figured it was happening a lot.  The exhaust mount was a bit past its best.

20210826_000955392_iOS.thumb.jpg.4a058153b9b6eb62c1b844109ab20b0a.jpg A new one was procured and changed and looked like this:20210828_171249139_iOS.thumb.jpg.b7358e5b0e8bf7ccc2f2cd6eedfdec60.jpg

After a quick hoover up and a rub down with the Sporting Life , I then took an actual satnav and the elder dropped tool retrieval device with me and we made the journey to Buckingham.  Other than a belief that lane change indication isn't needed any more and pitiful lane behaviour on the M25 (nothing new there) the journey passed without incident and I was having a chat with the Cylinders less than two hours after starting out.  After a good chat where we received valuable information on harvesting apples from @Mrs6C we got a lift to the station from @Six-cylinder in the floaty delights of the fleet's XM which wafted along, well, as you would expect an LHM Citroen to do.  Thank you to @RobT for making the collection process as smooth as possible (149/10 would collect again) and to Mr & Mrs Cylinder for their hospitality and to North Western trains for being much nicer than Southeastern.

Thanks for saving this as overall it's a decent car.  Hopefully it won't need much for a new ticket in October.

It isn't entirely watertight though...in the next downpour you might notice a moist passenger carpet.  I sealed up the satanroof, but it could be the door seal that's the problem.  But at the end of the day who cares, so long as it runs!

8 minutes ago, RobT said:

Thanks for saving this as overall it's a decent car.  Hopefully it won't need much for a new ticket in October.

It isn't entirely watertight though...in the next downpour you might notice a moist passenger carpet.  I sealed up the satanroof, but it could be the door seal that's the problem.  But at the end of the day who cares, so long as it runs!

I left both the shitty disposable wet vacs I was using in the carlton last week for future fod torture so that's easily solved, and keeps the carpets looking spotless! 

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Out with a mate of mine today, and as we're sitting in Wetherspoons having a burger and a pint he's browsing Facebook on his phone. 

'hey, a Manta for sale, pretty fair price too' 

'Is it in a field in Buckingham?'

'Yes...' 

That threw him for six. 

Did you get it sold though? 

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD 18/19th Sep, PM me for joining instructions

The Vauxhall collection is shrinking!

I have sold the Manta grass track car, no surprise there.

The odd one is I have sold the brown Cavalier 1.6GL MK1, the enquiry came from  seeing it in the background of a picture of my red Manta for sale. I had not looked at the car and told the buyer "I can't tell you anything other than it rolls. I don't have a V5C for this car, which is why I have not hurried to do anything with it." He just asked if it had an interior and I said "yes but condition unknown". Deal done, paid for and off to North Wales next week.

IMG_20210901_164651 broad.jpg

IMG_20210901_164454 broad.jpg

IMG_20210901_162953 broad.jpg

IMG_20210901_163049 broad.jpg

IMG_20210901_162903 broad.jpg

IMG_20210901_163539 broad.jpg