Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Yesterday we collected a smallish pine dresser for our house  for free from Freecycle, as we loaded it into the Mercedes 230TE estate we were asked if we were antique dealers!

In the afternoon we went to visit a lady who has three Bond Equipes, unfortunately very rusty and vandalised after standing 30 years. 100 miles round trip what a lovely car that W123 is.

IMG_20221028_165209 broad.jpg

Remember the Saab 95!

Today I planned to spend some time working on the Saab 95 to try and diagnose why it rattled when we first started it.

I was talking to my friend Andrew from the TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club) last night and he said he would come over and work with me.

We started by taking the valves out of the heads but could see nothing to rattle.

We took off the front timing cover and could not see anything to cause rattling.

We took the clutch off, part worn but useable and again we couldn’t see any reason for rattling.

We then took out the pistons and there are several stuck piston rings. All the big end bearings look good and the small ends felt good so no reason to rattle.

In order to get the cam out to inspect it we had to withdraw the cam followers and this is when we found the rattle. 6 of the 8 were difficult to remove and in the process of trying to work them free we reproduced the noise Mrs6C had videoed on the day of the start-up. Yes by hand we got the tap, tap noise and I think it was the follower did not gets pushed down by the value springs because several were so stuck and then the cam came round and gave them another little tap.

So all I have to do is clean everything and pop it back together. We won’t know for sure until that is done!

IMG_20221029_113439_BURST002 broad.jpg

IMG_20221029_122608 broad.jpg

IMG_20221029_123239 broad.jpg

IMG_20221029_135933 broad.jpg

IMG_20221029_142340 broad.jpg

IMG_20221029_145640 broad.jpg

IMG_20221029_144909 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Remember the Saab 95!
20 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Yesterday we collected a smallish pine dresser for our house  for free from Freecycle, as we loaded it into the Mercedes 230TE estate we were asked if we were antique dealers!

In the afternoon we went to visit a lady who has three Bond Equipes, unfortunately very rust and vandalised after standing 30 years. 100 miles round trip what a lovely car that W123 is.

anteek lovers more like (see driveway :P )

25 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

In the afternoon we went to visit a lady who has three Bond Equipes, unfortunately very rust and vandalised after standing 30 years. 100 miles round trip what a lovely car that W123 is.

Did you get any more pics of the Equipes? Would be good to add those to my register, as I'm certain they won't be on there if they've been sitting for 30 years! I'm sure there are more of them in this sort of condition than on the road these days, sadly

26 minutes ago, barrett said:

Did you get any more pics of the Equipes? Would be good to add those to my register, as I'm certain they won't be on there if they've been sitting for 30 years! I'm sure there are more of them in this sort of condition than on the road these days, sadly

Yes. Will send a PM.

I looked at the Bond Owners' Club website earlier and had a nice surprise - the two GT4S cars they are using to illustrate that model are mine!
https://www.bondownersclub.co.uk/equipe

On the Saab 95 today:

I cut down a 20Ltr container to form a soaking bath for the pistons today because quite a few rings were stuck. I like diesel as my soaking agent but found I only had a pint at home so I ended up brushing it all round the rings and left them to soak.

I have cleaned the majority of the carbon deposits on the valves, they were rock hard and stuck on. I ended up giving up on a bit of light hand scraping and put them in the pillar drill and used an old wood chisel to curve it off. Straight forward just hard work.

I then returned to the pistons and with a bit of gentle squeezing and twisting I managed to release all rings without breaking any, hooray! I made a start at cleaning the piston but didn’t get far before tea.

IMG_20221030_143057 broad.jpg

IMG_20221030_162939 broad.jpg

IMG_20221030_175854 broad.jpg

First full day using the black stealth Astra today, I got a call from the owner @Andyrew and thought he had spotted it speeding on his tracker!

Thanks to @Zelandeth for fettling my MGB GT and bringing it to storage. All cars look the same under a cover.

I spent the evening cleaning piston and now they are all ready to refit.

IMG_20221031_122726 broad.jpg

IMG_20221031_123931 broad.jpg

IMG_20221031_194637 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Reminder Autoshite Zoom chats start again this evening at 8pm - PM Mrs6C for log on details.
  • Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes
29 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

How is the 4 dr Toledo? Is it tucked up nice and warm for the winter now? I do like that car. Good to see you managed to move on the project one as well. 

The 4 door Toledo has worked out great, a service from my favourite garage and it runs beautifully. Yes it is now tucked up for the winter.

Tomorrow 10am Saturday 5th Nov is a breakfast gathering for MK Modern Classic Cars at the Rose and Crown, Ridgemont, MK43 OTY. Coffee/tea and/or breakfast will be available. All cars welcome old and new (well except maybe not my Chelsea tractor). 

10am Sunday 6th Nov is a breakfast gathering for Milton Keynes Classic Cars at the Giffard Park, MK14 5QN. Coffee/tea and/or breakfast will be available in the pub. All classic and nearly classic cars welcome, there is plenty of room to park to one side if you bring your modern.

As winter has started I am going to use our XM this weekend as a blend of classic and normal with a good heater! I have given it a wash and vac this afternoon. 

IMG_20221104_142533 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Breakfast classic car meetings in Milton Keynes this Saturday and again Sunday.
2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Tomorrow 10am Saturday 5th Nov is a breakfast gathering for MK Modern Classic Cars at the Rose and Crown, Ridgemont, MK43 OTY. Coffee/tea and/or breakfast will be available. All cars welcome old and new (well except maybe not my Chelsea tractor). 

10am Sunday 6th Nov is a breakfast gathering for Milton Keynes Classic Cars at the Giffard Park, MK14 5QN. Coffee/tea and/or breakfast will be available in the pub. All classic and nearly classic cars welcome, there is plenty of room to park to one side if you bring your modern.

As winter has started I am going to use our XM this weekend as a blend of classic and normal with a good heater! I have given it a wash and vac this afternoon. 

IMG_20221104_142533 broad.jpg

Have you sorted the gearchange cables ?