Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

Sure I could take a look at the rev counter and absent indicator tell tale for you at some point (probably do a wholesale replacement of the more used lights in the dash).  

If the exhaust issue is just needing a couple of rubbers replaced I can probably manage that, but if more involved I'll leave it to someone with a ramp!

Never even sat in a BMW of that era, curious to have a closer look at it.  

My Toledo 4 door has had four new Toyo Nanoergy3 tyres fitted today and is now on the road.

I know they are only average ratings, but better than the cracked undated ones that were on there before.

I met Marvin the paranoid android  Roger the paranoid tyre fitter!

My greeting for turning up on time to a booked appointment:

• I am on my own
  • I have not had any lunch
  • Running an hour late
  • I have no energy

I had pre paid via Black Circles or I would have given up and gone home.

IMG_20220708_145429 broad.jpg

IMG_20220708_141635 broad.jpg

56 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

My Toledo 4 door has had four new Toyo Nanoergy3 tyres fitted today and is now on the road.

I know they are only average ratings, but better than the cracked undated ones that were on there before.

I met Marvin the paranoid android  Roger the paranoid tyre fitter!

My greeting for turning up on time to a booked appointment:

• I am on my own
  • I have not had any lunch
  • Running an hour late
  • I have no energy

I had pre paid via Black Circles or I would have given up and gone home.

IMG_20220708_145429 broad.jpg

IMG_20220708_141635 broad.jpg

Better than the result I had from MyTyres!  When I got there they had zero knowledge of my booking, and if I'd arrived ten minutes later my tyres would have been on the next van back to the distributor thinking they hadn't ordered them.  After waiting nearly an hour I eventually managed to get them to just give me the damned things and had them fitted by another garage.

That was at the Stratford Motorist Centre...which had very good reviews, but I reckon they must have all been written by their mates based on my experience.

That was my second and likely last attempt at buying tyres online.

16 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

That was my second and likely last attempt at buying tyres online.

I have bought a few sets from Black Circles, had them delivered to work and fitted locally by a tame Kwik Fittter. I can't help thinking that having them delivered to a tyre shop means they are being screwed down on fitting charges or having to supply the tyres themselves at Black Circles prices and profit margins. 

1 hour ago, Snake Charmer said:

I have bought a few sets from Black Circles, had them delivered to work and fitted locally by a tame Kwik Fittter. I can't help thinking that having them delivered to a tyre shop means they are being screwed down on fitting charges or having to supply the tyres themselves at Black Circles prices and profit margins. 

JustTyres in Buckingham certainly gave me the impression that they did not want me there.

Or was it one bloke having an off day. Trouble is it was the first time I have ever been there and now probably the last.

IMG_20220708_142936 broad.jpg

There's no excuse for it in my book.  If they've taken out a contract to be a fitting station for one of the internet outlets there must be money in it for them somewhere or why would they do it?

In my case nowhere had been able to source the tyre size I needed (this was for the Jag) including the place that I was supposed to have them fitted.  Which is the only reason I used the web service.

Prior attempt was with one of the other ones who were meant to come to me to fit the tyres.  After they failed to turn up on the third or fourth appointment I just cancelled the order and gave up on that.

In contrast I used The Garage over by Wolverton for the tyres on the Caddy a week or so back and I'll definitely be going there again.  Simple reason?  They made me feel welcome.  They also did a proper job, which is more than can be said for Formula One in Newport Pagnell who used to be my go to.  They've totally fouled up the last three jobs I've sent their way and just didn't seem to care though so they're off the books for a while.

Of course when you're looking for less common tyre sizes these days you sometimes just have to take what you can get!  Though if I get into that situation again and my preferred fitter can't source the tyres I'll probably just order them for delivery to me and have them fitted by my preferred garage, even if it winds up coating me a few quid more at the end of the day.

40 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I am getting ready for the Citroen National show at Abbots Ripton tomorrow.

Because it is the 40th Birthday of the Citroen BX this year I felt the need to use my BX.

I had not used it since April and did have a low battery in storage hence the battery charger.

IMG_20220709_184102 broad.jpg

If you see any 2cv action do please photo and send to me, otherwise there is no column next month.

Saab 95 day

I am proposing the next “Field of Dreams” event for weekend 13/14 August.

Very much a focused day on collecting my “NEW” Saab 95 and all the spares that come with it.

I think I will have the car transported the 12 miles involved but I will need help collecting the mountain of spares that come with it.

The car has not run for 10+ years so the big question is can we get it going and collect fish and chips with it Saturday evening.

IMG_20211118_145749 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saab 95 focused event 13/14 Aug at FoD
2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Saab 95 day

I am proposing the next “Field of Dreams” event for weekend 13/14 August.

Very much a focused day on collecting my “NEW” Saab 95 and all the spares that come with it.

I think I will have the car transported the 12 miles involved but I will need help collecting the mountain of spares that come with it.

The car has not run for 10+ years so the big question is can we get it going and collect fish and chips with it Saturday evening.

IMG_20211118_145749 broad.jpg

Ooh awesome I was just wondering about this Saab the other day when I was researching Saab engines the other day for a post in my thread and was thinking its been a while since i heard of it, I hope all is alright

so I am very glad to hear a plan is coming together to finally get it home :) 

I defo hope to be there, I dont think I have anything on those days, so you should be able to count me in if the boat is available, and I am able to blag a lift to and from the station

(Unless I have REV back by then?! but I really dont know by this point!)