Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

On 28/06/2022 at 21:29, Six-cylinder said:

I have got my Peugeot 306 convertible back today serviced, new handbrake cables and MOTed.

This means a new look for the drive this afternoon.

IMG_20220628_200913 broad.jpg

We washed all those cars and you've put them away to get dusty again 🙄

I could book a couple of days off work (2 weeks notice) and come and do some more... We've tested the theory we can do 2 at once, I reckon we'd do 2x the full works as well fairly easily on the ones that would wash up well anyway 🤔

2 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

We washed all those cars and you've put them away to get dusty again 🙄

I could book a couple of days off work (2 weeks notice) and come and do some more... We've tested the theory we can do 2 at once, I reckon we'd do 2x the full works as well fairly easily on the ones that would wash up well anyway 🤔

That would be great.🙂

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

There is a plan to cut some metal shelving uprights down from 9ft to 7 ft to fit in the container.

If you have some suitable cutting gear please bring it along at the weekend to FoD.

IMG_20220629_113138 broad.jpg

How about I pick up a 9" cutting disk and drill holes to fit Astra van PCD?

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

I went topless this evening!

Don't worry I mean the car. First time out for my 306 Convertible since I was put away for the winter. It drives better than I remember and was a pleasure to enjoy the evening sunshine going to a small car gathering in Milton Keynes. 

IMG_20220629_185620 broad.jpg

I quite liked it when I drove it.  I remember you being a bit meh about it at the time.

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I quite liked it when I drove it.  I remember you being a bit meh about it at the time.

You are right, the grade for driving it had always been a "C".

Last night across Milton Keynes countless roundabouts it corned tidily and seemed to have more torque than I remember pulling out of them. On the way home I diverted across to the A413 because I was fed up following traffic at 47 mph and was then tailgated by an Astra. It was a plain 18 plate model so stuck to 60 mph just in case, there are a couple of lovely sweeping bend sets, I stayed at 60mph it backed off!

I then put petrol in it and found myself thinking where else should I drive, C+ now! 

That said I am giving a lift to another shiter this morning who preferred a lift in the Ami 8!

IMG_20220630_082624 broad.jpg

A request for this weekend - can anyone provide a torque wrench? I've 'mislaid' mine (have a horrible feeling it's 250 miles away, with the ex) and will need one for the head bolts.

Beer will be provided by way of thanks.

A additional thing for the 2/3 July 2022 FoD

Drop the driver's door panel on the ZX to inspect the electric window regulator. I suspect it will need replacing so needs identifying. 

Things to do.

• Motor bike trailer - clean and grease wheel bearing and fit new lighting board
  • Triumph Toledo 4 door – Rub down and paint bonnet with rattle cans.
  • Take the cylinder head off the Carlton 2.0i Club estate to check the damage.
  • Start Carlton 1.8 GLi.
  • Start Bedford CF
  • Get Opel Manta fired up and moving
  • Make a couple of the mopeds run.
  • Work on/clean your own car/stuff
  • Prepare wood for enclosed fire pit if anybody is staying for the evening
  • Drink tea and chat.

z os front window regulator for sale crop.jpg

AH'M OOT.

Saturday AM: Blingo to Spanners' Emporium of PSA Tomfoolery near Solihull for recommissioning.
Saturday PM: Continue 2CV racer prep.
Sunday PM: Back to Warwickshire to collect favourite niece and take her to the ageing parentals in Worcs.

Never a dull moment.

The next project did not go so well! My BMW 328i Msport started easily but the brakes had stuck on. A bit of power and it broke free. A test up a farm road revealed the o-s rear brake was it working, but the car rolled freely. We left it idling while we moved other cars and just as we were ready to park it up it spat some water.

We went to open the bonnet to see where the water was coming from but the pull would not release the drivers side catch.

No amount of fiddling would open it and it is currently stuck closed.

IMG_20220630_151413 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

The next project did not go so well! My BMW 328i Msport started easily but the brakes had stuck on. A bit of power and it broke free. A test up a farm road revealed the o-s rear brake was it working, but the car rolled freely. We left it idling while we moved other cars and just as we were ready to park it up it spat some water.

We went to open the bonnet to see where the water was coming from but the pull would not release the drivers side catch.

IMG_20220630_151413 broad.jpg

Give it to me.... I can't guarantee it'll be fixed but it'll definitely be driven! 

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

If it's like my E39 528i you can twang the grills out and get a hand in to release it.

2 hours ago, 3VOM said:

If it's like my E39 528i you can twang the grills out and get a hand in to release it.

YouTube say you have to remove the front bumper on an E36?

Another youtuber says you can grab the cable though the grill with extra long noise pliers. 

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD opening 2/3 July 10am start