Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Ouch, I feel for you. 

My first thought on seeing that camshaft wear was the tappets must be hydraulic auto adjusting types ..but clearly seeing the nuts on the rocker arms that is not the case.  So someone has previously adjusted the gap (to keep things quiet) and ignored the state of the camshaft, or else it has worn in a very short time ..which indicates oil feed issues.?

Have to say - I love how when faced with such a situation, you turn around and talk casually about radios - Good on you Six-c.   I do hope you have good fortune in finding a decent head and camshafts for the Gamma.   

..must admit though out of your fleet - I most like your MGB and the Vitesse.  That might be an age thing with me, or else a hankering for the simpler things in life.

Best regards,

Bfg.

36 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Have to say - I love how when faced with such a situation, you turn around and talk casually about radios - Good on you Six-c.   I do hope you have good fortune in finding a decent head and camshafts for the Gamma.  

Bfg.

I always have a lot of car stuff on the go so there is always something to go wrong, it reminds me when Agent K from the Men in Black film said “There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about ..... 

On 5/25/2019 at 10:43 AM, Six-cylinder said:

I always have a lot of car stuff on the go so there is always something to go wrong, it reminds me when Agent K from the Men in Black film said “There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about ..... 

More a case of the Jatravartids and an unexpected shortage of deodorant.

Mrs6C is trying to put the boat trailer tyres up to 60 psi and all 5 gauges we have read different. She is going to take the wheels as they are off the trailer to Tesco and use their machine.

For the future I need an accurate calibrated tyre pressure gauge without spending a fortune on a motor sport one, any suggestions? 

IMG_20190527_155936 broad.jpg

On 5/27/2019 at 4:17 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Mrs6C is trying to put the boat trailer tyres up to 60 psi and all 5 gauges we have read different. She is going to take the wheels as they are off the trailer to Tesco and use their machine.

For the future I need an accurate calibrated tyre pressure gauge without spending a fortune on a motor sport one, any suggestions? 

IMG_20190527_155936 broad.jpg

this old hector won autoexpress previously

old hector

On 5/27/2019 at 4:17 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Mrs6C did indeed take all five tyres up to Tesco and set them all up for 60psi. The Tesco air machine said they were all at 57 after the air hose at home said 60 for each, so only 5% over-reading for the latter. They are now all at 60, with four replaced on their hubs and the fifth to travel in the car...

4 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

Mrs6C did indeed take all five tyres up to Tesco and set them all up for 60psi. The Tesco air machine said they were all at 57 after the air hose at home said 60 for each, so only 5% over-reading for the latter. They are now all at 60, with four replaced on their hubs and the fifth to travel in the car...

You're placing a massive amount of faith in the forecourt pump. They must be the most abused and inaccurate machines know to man or beast!

2 hours ago, Eddie Honda said:

You're placing a massive amount of faith in the forecourt pump. They must be the most abused and inaccurate machines know to man or beast!

Because it is a paid for service the machines should be serviced and re-calibrated regularly.

12 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Because it is a paid for service the machines should be serviced and re-calibrated regularly.

Do you really think they do? Are the well staffed* and funded* local Trading Standards team checking up on them to see if they comply?

'should' is a world apart from reality.

Especially given all those careful* and considerate* users that use the paid-for machine correctly.

^ given that someone would inevitably suit the arse off Tesco ("other brands are available") if an accident were attributed to over or under inflated tyres, then I would think it more likely that they would have their gauges checked ..more frequently than independent filling stations.  After all the cost of having their garage equipment checked is just passed onto the customer anyway.