Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

That long wheelbase Mercedes that Zelandeth decided against, would make a good wedding car. Marquee and mobile fish and chip van,ice cream van, ideally a Perkins powered CF for pudding, job's a good un!

It's a shame I don't still have my Commer burger van, I could have provided catering services.

image.png.e14feb63aee734824da5075eba54bab3.png

14 hours ago, Crackers said:

I'm sure AS must have enough musicians on here to form a decent wedding band, too.

I think something's coming together here lads!

There are enough decent photographers on here to get some superb pictures too.

So, that's a venue, a celebrant, photography, transport, accommodation, music and food organised in less than a day.

"Autoshite don't do weddings, but if they did, they'd be shite."

When Mrs6C went out she saw the Fiat and knowing I was going to the hair dressers advised me to chain it to a post while parked in case any hairdressers steel it!

It turns out Claire was right I found my hairdresser had lifted the key out of my pocket while I sat in her chairĀ covered up!

Yes she has the Mini!

IMG_20220315_145548 broad.jpg

IMG_20220315_145802 broad.jpg

39 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

When Mrs6C went out she saw the Fiat and knowing I was going to the hair dressers advised me to chain it to a post while parked in case any hairdressers steel it!

It turns out Claire was right I found my hairdresser had lifted the key out of my pocket while I sat in her chairĀ covered up!

Yes she has the Mini!

IMG_20220315_145548 broad.jpg

IMG_20220315_145802 broad.jpg

Gillian Taylforth?

gillian-taylforth-eastenders-actress-october-1997-21677603.jpg.15b46fd6d58cc137b6914ae980418bd1.jpg

Nice work šŸ¤£

Today's car stuff was much more Autoshite!

After my Mercedes wheel trim left me wanting a life of freedom my car looked like a scrapyard candidate! Fortunately I had several kind offers for a replacement, I accepted @Peter CĀ because it was a white one to match the car. Today I went to collect it and received the full service, hubcap cleaned, fitted and a cup of tea with every wheel trim fitted. Thank You.

The base of the driver's seat is collapsed and I have been using a cushion but it is still a little uncomfortable. The good news was Peter also had an excellent condition base for sale even if it was the wrong colour. So Peter removed the cover and I now have a excellent seat base to fit my existing cover to.

Ā 

IMG_20220316_111459 broad.jpg

IMG_20220316_110956 broad.jpg

@Crackers

Turns out I am wrong, there is also a manual door opening handle inside the 500, it just took @Mrs6CĀ to find it!

I took the 500 to its natural habitat today, shopping!Ā 

So far

• Jerky manoeuvring with the one pedal operation
  • Lane departure seems to see cracks in the road as lanes and jerks the steering
  • Sunroof buffering is intense at 60 mph
  • Range 145 miles
  • I do like it but as usual at Ā£30,000 for a run around is madĀ 

IMG_20220317_112344 broad.jpg

IMG_20220317_105744 broad.jpg

3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Lane departure seems to see cracks in the road as lanes and jerks the steering

sounds very safe*

Lane departure yankie-on-the-steering systems seem like the best argument I have found so far to never buy a modern car.Ā  I've heard nothing but bad things about them.

Thanks to @SlowsilverĀ again today for more on the next chapter of our 2022Ā Ā Autoshite adventure!

Mrs6C has asked me to get her BMW E46 330Ci out of storage and MOT it soon. This is because she has had a recall notice about its airbags and wants to get it booked in while a BMW dealer is willing to work on a 22 year old car. First step was to get it started but we failed at the first hurdle, because the battery was flat and so bad it would not take a charge and I am hoping it was also restricting the car from starting. When I first put the jump pack on it it turned over but did not fire.Ā We could hear the fuel pump so tried again that this time it did not turn over just a click noise like the battery/jump pack were flat. We tried again with jump leads from the Renault but it still would not turn over. Slowsilver took the battery of and put it on charge but none of my chargers seem able to get any electricity into it. We will try again next week with a replacement battery.

I have a set of replacement wheels for the 330 as the ones on it have ancient flat tyres!

More successful was getting the Trevi running and all the lights working. It is now at home and almost ready to take for MOT.

IMG_20220317_143358 broad.jpg

IMG_20220317_171344 broad.jpg

IMG_20211221_123348 broad.jpg

IMG_20220317_175138 broad.jpg

11 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Mrs6C has asked me to get her BMW E46 330Ci out of storage and MOT it soon. This is because she has had a recall notice about its airbags and wants to get it booked in while a BMW dealer is willing to work on a 22 year old car.

I got the same recall on my E46. Going in today to Sytner BMW High Wycombe. It is to do with airbags made by Takata. If triggered, they could explode and shrapnel from the generator housing be sent out with the airbag. Something about storing the car in "not ideal conditions". The letter said drivers airbag, but when I called, they said the passenger airbag might also need doing. There are lot of makes of cars that use the same make of airbag as well as BMW that are also affectedĀ .

Ā @Mrs6CĀ  Ā At Sytner now, 2pm,Ā  both airbags to be changed, should take about 2 hours.

Done by 3.30, including "comprehensive health report". A few advisories, a couple I did not know about.Ā Ā Ā Ā I thought you were supposed to disconnect the battery when playing with airbags ?Ā  Clock and trip reading the same, so battery not been disconnected.Ā 

Anyone going to Classic Car resto Show at the NEC tomorrow? See you there if you are!Ā  @dollywobblerĀ Hello tomorrowĀ šŸ‘

9 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Ā @Mrs6CĀ  Ā At Sytner now, 2pm,Ā  both airbags to be changed, should take about 2 hours.

Done by 3.30, including "comprehensive health report". A few advisories, a couple I did not know about.Ā Ā Ā Ā I thought you were supposed to disconnect the battery when playing with airbags ?Ā  Clock and trip reading the same, so battery not been disconnected.Ā 

Anyone going to Classic Car resto Show at the NEC tomorrow? See you there if you are!Ā  @dollywobblerĀ Hello tomorrowĀ šŸ‘

Come and say hello to me and the other Saab nuts on stand 5-750

On 3/14/2022 at 12:55 PM, AxWomble said:

@Six-cylinderĀ -Ā I swore that after missing all the FoD events last year, Iā€™d make my debut at the first opportunity in 2022Ā - MissAxWomble was all in favour too! Alas, weā€™reĀ Ā getting married on the 26th, and generous though she is, I think that would be a step too far šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚Ā 

congrats Sir ! and to the to be Mrs AX womble

The Return of an old friend!

I bought my teenage pin up car in 2011, a 1971 E3 BMW 3.0 S 4 speed manual,Ā  MOTed and running. Because it was running roughly a friend from the BMW club borrowed my E3 andĀ did several improvements including fitting Weber Carburettors to replace the Solex ones we couldn't get spares for. Unfortunately my friend was not well, followed by world events has meant the car sat around for 5 year, I believed it was indoors but sadly it was outside.

I now have the car back and @ianbmwĀ offered to have the car at his house and give it a once over. The car starts and drive and while cosmetically challenged is very solid. Ian refused to do a proper test drive on the grounds the tyres were knackered so this morning we took it to a local tyre shop for 4 new Uniroyal Rain Expert tyres. It smells of old petrol and while it does not have a misfire performance is very flat.Ā It had an 1/8th of a tank of stale fuel so we have filled it with a tank of Esso's best and hope that will improve things.

Ā 

IMG_20220319_091102 broad.jpg

IMG_20220319_091938 broad.jpg

IMG_20220319_092437 broad.jpg

IMG_20220319_101104 broad.jpg

IMG_20220319_101149 broad.jpg

IMG_20220319_103438 broad.jpg

IMG_20220319_103519 broad.jpg