Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

On 8/27/2022 at 5:12 AM, Six-cylinder said:

Next FoD 17/18 September

The aim will be to lift the Saab engine out ready for inspection.

Full FoD weekend with camping welcome. This could be your last chance this year!

It seems few can make 3/4 September however Slowsilver has volunteered to come over and start removing the bonnet and auxiliary bits from the Saab ready for the engine lift. If you fancy coming over to help or observe you will be welcome just pm me for a time. If you wish to camp that is no problem.

IMG_20210821_205559 broad.jpg

Looks like @LightBulbFunis the new sacrifice to throw in the fire to appease the FOD Gods.

remains to be buried later using the JCB.

I've got the kids this weekend so can come over Saturday for the day. 

I've also bought a new cordless toy so wouldn't mind filming some use of that and pottering about, but can be at arms length for any help needed 👍

(20v DIY cordless vac. It could be truly dire but if not it could be alot of fun...) 

Hopefully it'll rain, the kids want some puddles. If not, does the swimming pool need emptying yet before the fish grow anymore? 

I managed a bit of car stuff this afternoon and a new Autoshiter @Prince_of_darkness91 came to help me. 

The Trevi will not start and that turns out to be the mechanical fuel pump. First we had to find it buried at the front of the engine. It turns out if you unscrew the grill and plastic shield behind it  access is not too bad. The only original pump I can find is from Italy so the Trevi will be out of use for a week or so.

IMG_20220829_152411 broad.jpg

IMG_20220829_153501 broad.jpg

IMG_20220829_173415 broad.jpg

The @Prince_of_darkness91 and I then moved onto the fuel tank on the BMW E3 which has been leaking. I bought a new electric pump to drain the tank and taking the connections and bolts out is straightforward. The tricky bit is getting the filler neck grommet out and the neck through the bodywork. We found the leaking repair and I am hopeful internal sealer will do the trick. We run out of time still needing to take out the fuel gauge sender as our initial efforts failed. 

I am hoping @Zelandethwill be able to save the day tomorrow and get the sender out and the sealer into the tank.

IMG_20220829_130530 broad.jpg

IMG_20220829_154913 broad.jpg

IMG_20220829_161852 broad.jpg

IMG_20220829_162040 broad.jpg

IMG_20220829_173827 with leak pointed out.jpg

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

Thwarted again! I had hoped to attend one weekend, and 3/4 was looking favourite but was waiting on confirmation that the next offshore trip would start on the 15th. This morning they have confirmed the 5th!

IF there is a later one I will have to try for that.

It will all depend on the weather, October can go either way. There are few events in my diary for October so a good forecast and I will be pleased to set another date. Maybe you could suggest when is good for you?

Zel turned up today and popped out the fuel gauge sender from the E3 quicker that he alerted me to his arrival! He came tooled up, with  plusgas and a 3 pronged oil filter wrench that fitted perfectly.

A good clean out of the tank and I poured in the sealant. Zel then did a dance with the tank to ensure all surfaces were coated. It was then drained of excess sealant. Now I have to wait 96 hours before I can put petrol in it again.

IMG_20220830_150104 broad.jpg

IMG_20220830_150016.jpg.d3f96191b35291136ca28634d7e7d6ce broad.jpg

IMG_20220830_153547.jpg.655b37c5bb72fb1b2c72e7baa8b6c7d5 broad.jpg

IMG_20220830_155003 broad.jpg

13 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Ok, now have a firm 2cv date for the 18th for the Hampton steam pump museum. But happy to come up this Saturday if that would help?

Is that near Feltham/Kempton ? Didnt know that was there, yet I live only a mile away!!! 

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

It does sound good and worth a visit, shame I am busy 18th.

https://hamptonkemptonrailway.org.uk/our-railway/locomotives-rolling-stock/

Close

Kempton Steam Museum | Home of the world's largest working triple-expansion steam engine

1 hour ago, bobdisk said:

Is that near Feltham/Kempton ? Didnt know that was there, yet I live only a mile away!!! 

Come along, there's a classic car show on the 18th

They have mercury arc rectifiers too for @LightBulbFun

Mercury Arc Rectifiers | Kempton Steam Museum

Museum Address

Kempton Steam Museum.
Kempton Park Waterworks,
Snakey Lane,
Hanworth,
Middlesex,
TW13 6XH (TW13 7ND for sat-nav).

///pasta.sings.plot (What 3 Words site entrance location) 

Projects update:

·         BMW E3 - awaiting petrol tank sealant to set before refitting tank.

·         Lancia Trevi - waiting for fuel pump to be delivered from Italy

·         Volo V70 T5 – awaiting camshaft position sensor so Slowsliver and I can attempt to clear the fault code and engine light.

·         Alfa 156 – we are frightened to use it because it cut out and would not restart until the next day for Mrs6C

·         Ferrari 308 GT4 – booked for full service and cambelt change next week

·         Xantia Activa – needs a replacement battery fitted for the Citroen show on 10th Sep

·         Saab 95 – Saturday 4th we plan to start removing auxiliary stuff for the 17th Sep engine lift.

·         Citroen Visa 17RD – booked for MOT next week

·         Mercedes 200TE – awaiting new Auto gearbox sump to be delivered.

That is all my brain can manage at the moment!

Drove my Seicento to the FoD today and parked the three small blue boxes together!

IMG_20220901_123424 broad.jpg

On 8/31/2022 at 12:26 PM, richardmorris said:

Come along, there's a classic car show on the 18th

They have mercury arc rectifiers too for @LightBulbFun

Mercury Arc Rectifiers | Kempton Steam Museum

Museum Address

Kempton Steam Museum.
Kempton Park Waterworks,
Snakey Lane,
Hanworth,
Middlesex,
TW13 6XH (TW13 7ND for sat-nav).

///pasta.sings.plot (What 3 Words site entrance location) 

See you there, with Kermit the Daf!!  Kermit needs some work before a long-ish journey to the FOD, but this will be ok !