Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Great to see the Carlton now running - was it just that leaky pipe that needed sorting in the end?  I reckon it would have gone last time but I stopped when I could smell stale petrol!  Hopefully the smoke will clear once it's been run for a bit, unless it has other issues.   It's a smart old thing, dents aside, and deserves to go again.

2 hours ago, phil_lihp said:

Great to see the Carlton now running - was it just that leaky pipe that needed sorting in the end?  I reckon it would have gone last time but I stopped when I could smell stale petrol!  Hopefully the smoke will clear once it's been run for a bit, unless it has other issues.   It's a smart old thing, dents aside, and deserves to go again.

I replaced the leaking fuel pipe but it still didn't want to start. Then I found a wire with a connector on it which wasn't plugged in to anything. Consulting with@Andyrew, our resident Vauxhall guru, who fortunately was at the FoD and actually used to own this beast, produced the matching loom and connector, which apparently goes to the crankshaft sensor. This was plugged in and after a fair bit of cranking it fired up. The clutch was a bit sticky but eventually it was mobile. The initial blue smoke turned more to grey as it warmed up. It was a bit tricky to drive as it refused to idle and kept stalling. We did discover that number 3 plug was actually loose, but tightening it up did not seem to improve matters much. The oil in it looked very clean, but also very thin. Maybe a change to some thicker stuff will reduce the smoke output. More investigation required I think.

many thanks thanks to @Six-cylinder and @Mrs6C for another awesome weekend! :) 

twas quite interesting to see into the depths of a Saab's V4 Ford engine!

IMG_0372.thumb.JPG.2a16201e8acb4692da51bac3d45cd409.JPG

the Carlton only had a minor* smoking problem, Mmm burnt engine oil and stale fuel...

IMG_0361.thumb.JPG.a39256c7580403e7052b43d2f5bb2a34.JPG

I noticed this interesting throttle pedal arrangement on the J suffix BMW, I find quite amusing how despite being floor hinged, it still is just a regular throttle "pedal" underneath swung from above

IMG_0365.thumb.JPG.e56ffe34f98e8fcef4500e1e68a6c5de.JPG

@Six-cylinder pinched my idea on how I use REV when she is at the FoD, and showed up with his own motorised chair! only slightly incongruous :mrgreen:

IMG_0371.thumb.JPG.10c5b9b745f0cbb0d0e5b14182aa6b0d.JPG

@davidfowler2000's 205 was helpfully labelled under the bonnet incase you completely forgot what it was...

IMG_0373.thumb.JPG.08b88c9ec45be5ddc49b7f61e268069f.JPG

then it got quite photogenic!

IMG_0380.thumb.JPG.3b4617c3583e3c2b9b161001eb632508.JPG

need a wider angle lens LOL 

IMG_0383.thumb.JPG.a3041be4fec02b9201b92e65e953879e.JPG

and many thanks to @mat_the_cat for the not-a-fluorescent tube :) a fine addition to my collection just have to find a way to light and observe it without sun tanning my eye balls (IE I need to find a piece of regular glass large enough to cover it entirely only problem is its 18 inches long)

IMG_0388.thumb.JPG.a1404512d4b5e94df70d2120e933ad33.JPG

So how did the Saab 95 engine end up?

We got it out on Saturday even though it was surprisingly heavy for a 1500cc engine. There was gunge in the bottom of the sump that we cleaned out. We took it in the new barn and took a main and big end bearing cap off furthest away from the oil supply and all looked well. We took the oil pump apart and that seemed just fine.

Sunday we put a bore scope in the plug holes to reveal some light scratching but nothing to make it rattle. I then took the decision as we had found nothing to lift the cylinder heads. Yes we had a husband v wife race to see who could get there bank apart first!

All we found were heavy carbon deposits but still nothing to make it rattle. I think I will take the pistons out next.

IMG_20220917_125118 broad.jpg

IMG_20220917_134407 broad.jpg

IMG_20220917_135229 broad.jpg

_1140815 broad.jpg

IMG_20220917_171605 broad.jpg

IMG_20220918_161742 broad.jpg

IMG_20220918_163558.jpg

IMG_20220919_105945 broad.jpg

IMG_20220919_111410 broad.jpg

IMG_20220919_113309 broad.jpg

IMG_20220919_113646 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - So how did the Saab 95 engine end up!

Thanks to Chris and Claire for another enjoyable weekend in the field of dreams. Just thought I'd post a few of my photos up taken when the sky went very moody. PS had good fun taking the SAAB engine apart. Mat and I were pondering what that rattling noise could be on the way up and wondered if its maybe something to do with the valves perhaps not seating correctly in the head. There seemed to be an imprint of a valve in the top of the soot on one of the pistons. Or maybe valve clearances aren't right, might be worth looking into......

FOD.jpg

FOD-6.jpg

FOD-7.jpg

FOD-10.jpg

FOD-11.jpg

FOD-12.jpg

FOD-15.jpg

FOD-17.jpg

FOD-31.jpg

FOD-37.jpg

FOD-40.jpg

FOD-43.jpg

Seeing those photos makes me even more sad that me and my cameras couldn't make it!

Just thinking about the rattle - one of the basics worth double checking would be the oil filter.  Are we absolutely sure the one fitted is correct?  I've come across a situation where a factor has fouled up cross referencing the part I needed and gave me a filter which fitted but had the non return valve fitted opposing the normal flow direction.  

Worth double checking what's on there matches up properly.

Difficult to say much more not having heard it.  

5 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Seeing those photos makes me even more sad that me and my cameras couldn't make it!

Just thinking about the rattle - one of the basics worth double checking would be the oil filter.  Are we absolutely sure the one fitted is correct?  I've come across a situation where a factor has fouled up cross referencing the part I needed and gave me a filter which fitted but had the non return valve fitted opposing the normal flow direction.  

Worth double checking what's on there matches up properly.

Difficult to say much more not having heard it.  

I did pull the oil filter off and it looked like fresh oil had been circulating both ways. Still worth double checking the part number, though?

1 hour ago, mat_the_cat said:

Oil is definitely circulating fine - now. We cracked it over on a drill and observed oil flow to the top end after a while, although it looked dry when we first took the rocker covers off.  Balance shaft bearings felt fine.

I am going to take the pistons out of the block just in case we can see anything. There is also the matter that the engine smoked quite badly the short while we ran it and there is a lot of carbon build up on the piston tops

Anybody fancy a one day special FoD to help me? Weekday or weekend. 

IMG_20220919_113656 broad.jpg

On 19/09/2022 at 19:44, chaseracer said:

Did @Talbot fall asleep...? 😁

I think @Talbot is entitled to some rest after completing this masterpiece! :-)

19-Sep-22 - barn slate roof done.jpg

A huge thanks to him for all his hard work this summer, to make AS HQ weathertight from above. The capstones, bargeboards and gutters come next, then attention can turn to finishing off the cowshed.

Thanks also to all the other AS folk who helped, including but not limited to: @Puglet, @davidfowler2000, @catsinthewelder, @juularand @chaseracer.

Van de Pomme was actually loaded like this...

20-Sep-22 - C15 loaded in Lincolnshire.jpg

... with lots of goodies from a farm in Lincolnshire, that used to have a mile long narrow gauge railway to haul potatoes.

14 x wooden railway sleepers (two foot gauge)

10 x wooden railway sleepers (18" gauge)

1 x concrete railway sleeper (two foot gauge) from 1914

10 x vintage potato chitting trays

1 x bundle of vintage tools (pitchfork, draw hoe, trenching shovel)

2 x new garden forks

2 x new spade handles

1 x roll of carpet

1 x can of wood preserver

All the items were weighed before loading and the total was well within a C15's payload. All items were strapped and secured in case of emergency stops.

Van de Pomme drove very nicely on the way back and turned 214k miles just before I got home. As always, I am very pleased with its capacity, capability and frugality.