Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

18 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I thought for a moment with the power lines and the branches poking into the top of the shot 

that you had gotten inspired by recent posts in the Bus shite thread and setup your own trolleybus system! LOL

Don't give @Mrs6C ideas!

8 hours ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

Could swear the 75bhp 1.2 16V Clio I had of that gen always felt like it had double...

Mine has 1.6i 8v with a 4 speed auto slushbox just to make sure there is no feeling of brutal power.

To be fair it moves along just fine but it would be out gunned in any sort of race.

You'd kick an invacar's arse in a race... Could give it a gentle nudge on the front corner to knock it over on the way past too! 

Having driven to mums and back twice last weekend a 4 speed slushbox is all you bloody need around here 90% of the time😂😥

Keith says he keeps the zoe in eco 99% of the time. Dulls the acceleration and limits the top speed to 60 which he says they rarely get to doing the pottering around they do... Makes a sad sort of sense

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

You'd kick an invacar's arse in a race... Could give it a gentle nudge on the front corner to knock it over on the way past too! 

Having driven to mums and back twice last weekend a 4 speed slushbox is all you bloody need around here 90% of the time😂😥

Keith says he keeps the zoe in eco 99% of the time. Dulls the acceleration and limits the top speed to 60 which he says they rarely get to doing the pottering around they do... Makes a sad sort of sense

I agree, if you move off the main roads where you trundle along mostly following over traffic the smaller roads are full of horses, cyclists and pot holes around here.

28 minutes ago, 666jjp said:

I hadn't, so thank you!

I have a 1974 Wales & Edwards RangeMaster, with the three-wheel, central single headlight configuration. It had no batteries when I got it and some of the wiring has been chopped about, so it is very much of a project. However, we have video of it running under its own power in December 2018, so it isn't that bad! It still rolls around OK and three people can just about push it along on a flat surface!

1 hour ago, 666jjp said:

thats an interesting thing! looks like the company that made it are still in business too :) 

https://towrite.uk/

Bonus points for sharing Door handles with a Model 70 :) (which in turn come from the Morris Minor Traveller/Van rear door)

quite surprised to see them on something made this late! (im also quite surprised it did not end up on a Q plate!)

image.thumb.png.7315f4233ffc8a9986335bebd098f6f3.png

doing a quick bit of DVLA basing P210GFP-P216GFP are all Electric Towrite's however P210GFP is the only one registered as an ambulance and the only one to have seemingly survived (the rest where registered as Vans or with non codable body types, however interestingly P214GFP was registered as a float

curiously the rest where all tax due 1st June 1999, they where only ever taxed for 2 years!, and all registered as Green, except P210GFP which is down as White, 

have to admit I find it quite Autoshite, that this is however not the first Milk float/milk float based/type vehicle that I have seen registered as an Ambulance! 

Well its happened again, my fourth Fiat!

This dates back quite a few years when a friend bought a young yellow Seicento Sporting Michael Schumacher Edition and I loved it. Later I looked for one for myself but by then most were trashed or quite expensive.

I am a bit behind with the Fiat collection so when this one came up in spite not being not a Sporting I jumped at it.

A big thanks to @Zelandeth for helping me collect it today.

IMG_20211202_141538 broad.jpg

IMG_20211202_141505 broad.jpg

IMG_20211202_141628 broad.jpg

IMG_20211202_141652 broad.jpg

IMG_20211202_143743 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well its happened again, my forth Fiat!

Proper little Fiat.  Sound of that engine brought back many happy memories.

Really feels like a more solid and WAY quieter version of the old Panda.  Was a lot of fun when I got back on roads I knew.  Feels like a proper Fiat, most at home when being chucked around a bit and in the upper half of the rev band.

Seems an exceptionally tidy example inside and out.  Am just a little bit jealous!

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well its happened again, my fourth Fiat!
23 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

thats an interesting thing! looks like the company that made it are still in business too :) 

https://towrite.uk/

Bonus points for sharing Door handles with a Model 70 :) (which in turn come from the Morris Minor Traveller/Van rear door)

quite surprised to see them on something made this late! (im also quite surprised it did not end up on a Q plate!)

image.thumb.png.7315f4233ffc8a9986335bebd098f6f3.png

doing a quick bit of DVLA basing P210GFP-P216GFP are all Electric Towrite's however P210GFP is the only one registered as an ambulance and the only one to have seemingly survived (the rest where registered as Vans or with non codable body types, however interestingly P214GFP was registered as a float

curiously the rest where all tax due 1st June 1999, they where only ever taxed for 2 years!, and all registered as Green, except P210GFP which is down as White, 

have to admit I find it quite Autoshite, that this is however not the first Milk float/milk float based/type vehicle that I have seen registered as an Ambulance! 

Did the tax rules not change in 99?

I know that even if the tax is free, you're supposed to apply for it, but I know that many didn't and it was rarely followed up. Also, I'm not even convinced that the database records were properly updated for tax-free vehicles. I've had issues with this before with a classic I was looking at.

For example, this one

https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/76757310-0420-40c7-9705-1d5dfbbd78d0/9e025ca0-a345-4c13-91d7-451e1df10635.jpg/:/cr=t:0%25,l:0%25,w:100%25,h:100%25/rs=w:1240,h:620,cg:true

image.thumb.png.c0b654ff9c9a91af5971afd135b05a25.png

2 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

Did the tax rules not change in 99?

I know that even if the tax is free, you're supposed to apply for it, but I know that many didn't and it was rarely followed up. Also, I'm not even convinced that the database records were properly updated for tax-free vehicles. I've had issues with this before with a classic I was looking at.

For example, this one

https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/76757310-0420-40c7-9705-1d5dfbbd78d0/9e025ca0-a345-4c13-91d7-451e1df10635.jpg/:/cr=t:0%25,l:0%25,w:100%25,h:100%25/rs=w:1240,h:620,cg:true

image.thumb.png.c0b654ff9c9a91af5971afd135b05a25.png

SORN was introduced in 1998 (and the DVLA's back end had a fairly major overhaul then)

but £NIL rate tax vehicles have always been a thing, long before the DVLC even existed :) taxing of a £NIL rate vehicle the process is exactly the same as another vehicle, its just simply the cost is £0.00 but the front and back end process was exactly the same as for a vehicle which cost money to tax

so its not a database thing, just simply for whatever reason those Towrites, where never taxed beyond 2 years,  and all except P210GFP the Ambulance, are still on their original V5's (ie they have never had another V5 issued, they are still on their first V5's issued when they where new) and even P210GFP only has 1 previous keeper, 

although as you say a lot of people do think £NIL Tax=dont have to tax, which is not true, (im looking at your MPH759P!) what a lot of people dont realise is vehicle tax is an application for a licence to use the vehicle on the road, regardless of the cost of this licence you still have to apply for it every year! 

as for GPK15C (Surrey registered FTW) from what I can tell, it simply spent many years off the road before being restored and stuck on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124103651518

notice the tax due date is Mid Month, so someone will have had manually cancelled the tax, if I had to guess probably when it was withdrawn from front line duty, Milk floats had incredibly long service lives, and some operators went as far as to rebody older machines with newer fibreglass cabs and the such like

its also worth noting vehicles which are Tax due before the 1st of January 1998, do not have to be SORN'ed and cannot actually be SORN'ed even if you wanted too (if you do it online it will say SORN application successful but it will never apply)

hence why that Wales and Edwards milkfloat despite having recent keeper changes is still showing Tax Due 20 July 1995 rather then a SORN or such (you can only SORN such a vehicle once it is taxed, then you can SORN it again, but as above if its tax due before 1st of Jan 1998, you can just leave it untaxed :)  )

and obviously vehicles which have been marked scrapped do not have to be SORN'ed either!

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

This dates back quite a few years when a friend bought a young yellow Seicento Sporting Michael Schumacher Edition and I loved it. Later I looked for one for myself but by them most were trashed or quite expensive.

I am a bit behind with the Fiat collection so when this one came up in spite not being not a Sporting I jumped at it.

Can you drive it with an arm on each window?

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

This dates back quite a few years when a friend bought a young yellow Seicento Sporting Michael Schumacher Edition and I loved it. Later I looked for one for myself but by them most were trashed or quite expensive.

I learned to drive in one of these in 2016! Cracking wee things, as other have said, a great laugh and more solid than they look on the inside! 

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Glad it made it back okay, definitely was a nice little car that one - let me know if I end up with anything else that takes your fancy!