Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

With Ferdinand Peich’s family history, gung ho engineering approaches of the time ( just take a look at the parent company product line up and Engines) and his famous zeal I somehow half expected him to have insisted it was rear engined (whilst thumping his desk)

On 12/15/2020 at 7:38 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Talking with another shiter today about the Spitfire 6 and its dull paint, he suggested we respray it in metal flake paint! Rather than being out raged I quite like the idea, maybe deep cherry red. The car was customised with Wolfrace wheel and steel bubble arches years ago and metal flake would just add to the effect.

Probably just a dream, but what do you think guys?

P1100966 broad v2.jpg

red flake.png

Do they do a Metalflake beige????????

My first trip out in the Beetle today to get my Peugeot 306 to my favourite garage.

I met my friends who had the 306 and the one with the TT loved the Beetle and the other hated it. I have never had a car with such Marmite effect.  

The Beetle drives very nicely and the only glitch is the car arms the alarm locking with the key or remote. Then it does not disarm whether you use the key or remote and you have to get the key in the ignition with the horn blaring. Anybody got any ideas?

I have had the 306 for a year now and today it went for a pre MOT check over and cambelt as playing roulette is worrying. The underside is remarkably rust free but the exhaust is a bit sad.

IMG_20201218_100433 broad.jpg

IMG_20201218_100543 broad.jpg

IMG_20201218_101008 broad.jpg

IMG_20201218_101251 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

I went from brand-new 306 Cabriolet 1.8S (W622 JKS IIRC) to brand-new 2004 New Beetle Cabriolet 1.6 (BN04 UDG) - the 306 was sublime to drive really, amazingly good handling for what it is, weird offset seat though and the brake discs, instruments, gearbox and roof broke before it was 3 years old.

The Beetle was thirsty, slow, comfortable, nice to look at and leaked.

I miss the 306. I'd rather have a Mk 1 Golf Cabriolet than either, but if I had to choose now, I'd take the Beetle for the glass rear window, roomy front seats and impressive roof shape/boot that while it's tiny, at least doesn't have a load of roof storage in it.

21 hours ago, RichardK said:

I went from brand-new 306 Cabriolet 1.8S (W622 JKS IIRC) to brand-new 2004 New Beetle Cabriolet 1.6 (BN04 UDG) - the 306 was sublime to drive really, amazingly good handling for what it is, weird offset seat though and the brake discs, instruments, gearbox and roof broke before it was 3 years old.

The Beetle was thirsty, slow, comfortable, nice to look at and leaked.

I miss the 306. I'd rather have a Mk 1 Golf Cabriolet than either, but if I had to choose now, I'd take the Beetle for the glass rear window, roomy front seats and impressive roof shape/boot that while it's tiny, at least doesn't have a load of roof storage in it.

I like the roominess of the Beetle and the ease for me to get in it. My 2.0 8v Beetle is not slow nor fast. It gives the same sort of performance as the 1.8 16v in my 306 Cabriolet.

The Beetle looks interesting and I like the retro styling, but I think  it is the Peugeot that takes it for looks, just stunning.

IMG_20191228_112235 broad v2.jpg

I wish! No, the 306 replaced secondhand Volvo 480 ES 2.0 Auto (A/C/Leather/Sunroof) A4 RTK (I can't remember the original plate - K234 something I think, but then I think my X1/9 was G234 GMS so I'm probably confusing pop-up light cars).

I mention the numberplates just in case one day it turns out either of those mid-2000s now-bangers are still lurking somewhere. I know my RX8 (FE55 OBW I think) got exported from DVLA and my C6 (GL57 SBX but C6 RTK since I owned it) has been spotted in the wild still wearing the C6 RTK plate.

Peugeot has it all for looks, handling, style with the roof down - but the offset seat gave me sciatica-like pain and mine was so unreliable new. It even landed with KM/H speedo and had to be fixed on day one! Weirdly the Beetle also had a worse /ride/ with the traction control off - I could punt the thing fast enough to upset reps in much bigger cars on the A7 (but not with the same fluidity as the 306 - the Beetle was hard work, the 306 was fun) so the handling could be worked with, but I never understood why in a straight line, switching off the TCS made the car feel jiggly.

It's also the first car that scared the shit out of me for intervening - I was used to joining the M8 from the A720 at full pelt, letting the front wheels slide a bit on the 306 before backing off, regaining traction and hoofing it (power understeer?) - I did that with the Beetle and the traction cut in and threw the car halfway into the lane to the inside...

6 hours ago, RichardK said:

I wish! No, the 306 replaced secondhand Volvo 480 ES 2.0 Auto (A/C/Leather/Sunroof) A4 RTK (I can't remember the original plate - K234 something I think, but then I think my X1/9 was G234 GMS so I'm probably confusing pop-up light cars).

I mention the numberplates just in case one day it turns out either of those mid-2000s now-bangers are still lurking somewhere. I know my RX8 (FE55 OBW I think) got exported from DVLA and my C6 (GL57 SBX but C6 RTK since I owned it) has been spotted in the wild still wearing the C6 RTK plate.

Peugeot has it all for looks, handling, style with the roof down - but the offset seat gave me sciatica-like pain and mine was so unreliable new. It even landed with KM/H speedo and had to be fixed on day one! Weirdly the Beetle also had a worse /ride/ with the traction control off - I could punt the thing fast enough to upset reps in much bigger cars on the A7 (but not with the same fluidity as the 306 - the Beetle was hard work, the 306 was fun) so the handling could be worked with, but I never understood why in a straight line, switching off the TCS made the car feel jiggly.

It's also the first car that scared the shit out of me for intervening - I was used to joining the M8 from the A720 at full pelt, letting the front wheels slide a bit on the 306 before backing off, regaining traction and hoofing it (power understeer?) - I did that with the Beetle and the traction cut in and threw the car halfway into the lane to the inside...

I have to agree it is roof down on the 306 that looks so good. Hood up is just ok.

IMG_20200104_154139 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Guess the car?
1 hour ago, Asimo said:

Renault 12

306: Prettiest of all with the hardtop on.7EBCBF7A-6C46-47A8-AC04-21EF76787915.thumb.jpeg.981f9a72773f9b75f722b5c6bf7ba3f5.jpeg

Oh dear - four bolt wheels with five spokes serious style fail!

3 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Beat me to it. That’s where they look their absolute best. 💯 

No, No this makes it harder to drive topless and the full beauty be seen by all!