Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

11 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

Does this mean your old ride-on will be for sale, or is that a silly question?

The reason I needed to take some action is the bearing that supports the cutting blade on the 8HP is on its last legs and allows the blade to tilt and dig into the ground. The 8HP 30inch cut was never quite big enough so I bought the 13HP 36 inch machine, but the steering on the 13HP seems quite heavy and I feel that it might be good to repair the 8HP and use it for going round the trees. Also with these old mower it is good to have a reserve and hopefully one will work when you need it!

P1460555 broad.jpg

15 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Also with these old mower it is good to have a reserve and hopefully one will work when you need it!

How did I know you were going to say that!? :lol:

I keep toying with the idea of a ride-on to replace the Haytor Condor; trouble is to get any significant advantage I'd need to go bigger than 8hp and 30". And then, given the rough terrain I'd probably end up getting it stuck.

@mat_the_cat I still need you to complete our Haytor Condor cylinder machine so we fine cut the camping field for the guys!

The rabbits have created holes and mounds and with the Westfield 8HP I have fallen in a few time and was stuck. I have a water/sand filled roller 1005mm roller and this year must use it before the ground gets too hard.

P1390293 broad.jpg

Roller 1050 mm 01 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, chaseracer said:

We need to practise for the Wisborough Green 12-hour...

You rang?

Have BLMRA lawnmower racing experience (see my asylum thread), will travel. 

@Six-cylinder, in all seriousness, I have an incredibly rare but ropey 1970s mower (a Bartrop Greenfield) sat in my garden. It was waiting to be built into the next racer, but could bring it to FoD, and actually make an appearance for once.

22 minutes ago, Coprolalia said:

You rang?

Have BLMRA lawnmower racing experience (see my asylum thread), will travel. 

@Six-cylinder, in all seriousness, I have an incredibly rare but ropey 1970s mower (a Bartrop Greenfield) sat in my garden. It was waiting to be built into the next racer, but could bring it to FoD, and actually make an appearance for once.

We would love to see you and your Bartrop Greenfield at the FoD.

Racing concerns me because of people getting hurt.

I had to look it up, is it Australian? Does it look like this? 

Bartrop-Greenfield-M8-IMGBartrop001.jpg

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

With a top speed of 5.8mph I would imagine the potential for serious injury is fairly slight...

From last discussions I think the possibility of any injury is a concern relating to future liabilities.

I had a serious cut on a finger at the FOD a few years ago that was entirely my fault and has completely healed but may still sue!  You get the drift.

7 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

From last discussions I think the possibility of any injury is a concern relating to future liabilities.

I had a serious cut on a finger at the FOD a few years ago that was entirely my fault and has completely healed but may still sue!  You get the drift.

We can't get insurance for the activities that take place at the FoD so you need to take care and make any insurance arrangements for yourself you deem necessary.

2 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

We can't get insurance for the activities that take place at the FoD so you need to take care and make any insurance arrangements for yourself you deem necessary.

How about a sign saying “ enter at your own risk”?

the bear traps are there simply for your protection!

On 1/26/2022 at 8:43 PM, richardmorris said:

you nearly had bits fall off :D drift obvs you didnt :P

I want to roll the camping paddock and orchard at the FoD and sometime ago bought a tow along large garden roller. It is loosely assembled but needs tightening up and the 80kg of dried sand poured into it I bought. Also we need to set up a tow pin to connect it to the new 13HP mower. It maybe 80kg of sand is not enough but we need to test it to see. Then some round and round on the mower pulling the roller.

The weather for the next week does not look too bad so I am thinking we could make a start. I am looking for a volunteer (s) to work on this project with me? 

Roller 1050 mm 01 crop broad.jpg

IMG_20220122_090907 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Volunteer needed to help me with rolling the camping paddock project?

I am busy this coming weekend but free any other day this week. The weather looks OK for the next three days but a bit chillier on Friday. If you think it is a job that you and I can do with no additional manpower I could come over one afternoon and at least we could make a start.

3 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

I am busy this coming weekend but free any other day this week. The weather looks OK for the next three days but a bit chillier on Friday. If you think it is a job that you and I can do with no additional manpower I could come over one afternoon and at least we could make a start.

That would be good as it would not surprise me if we needed to get parts and that would be easier midweek. Wednesday? 

The photo is today.

IMG_20220131_125500 broad.jpg

Hang on that's not how these things work, you can't start a FoD job by assessing the situation and parts required 😡 Just not proper

The correct way is to start looking at 10am on a Sunday, find the 2 or 3 simple parts required but unavailable at 10.05am on a Sunday, do one task with available parts then call the rest of the day off and drink tea...