Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

On 11/13/2021 at 9:50 PM, Six-cylinder said:

The headlights and all the wiring and fittings are missing, I bought some pods and just yesterday some new headlights, but they are bare.

251809298_487749505965939_7152874124584526660_n.jpg

That’s proper NOS, probably been in a warehouse for 40 years! 

I’m surprised Cibie bothered to make parts for Triumphs but their factories were probably a lot less strike prone than Lucas’s…Maybe they were a premium upgrade for your Toledo/Allegro/Avenger when the PoD ones died after two years! 

10 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

That’s proper NOS, probably been in a warehouse for 40 years! 

I’m surprised Cibie bothered to make parts for Triumphs but their factories were probably a lot less strike prone than Lucas’s…Maybe they were a premium upgrade for your Toledo/Allegro/Avenger when the PoD ones died after two years! 

I believe they were generic just like the round ones. I also think Capri MK1, Hunter, Chevette, Viva, Metro and  Victor FE had them.

I remember in the early 1980s having them on the shelve in the motor parts store I ran. We did not sell anywhere near as many as round ones and I can't remember what brand they were.

Add Maybe Acclaim?

Another day and a different flavour today!

We went to an MG Car club lunch today, my MGs are in storage so the E320 Coupe got an outing. I was first there and set the line for our cars and ended up having to give my place to a late coming MG while the Morris 1000 kept its place!

When I got home the light was just fading and made Richard Morris's W124 look stunning.

IMG_20211116_121032 broad.jpg

P1160274 broad.jpg

P1160276 broad.jpg

IMG_20211116_123753 broad.jpg

IMG_20211116_163003 broad.jpg

Another day a different car!

Today I collected the Chrysler Sebring now with a fresh MOT and It drives very nicely. The only problem is sometimes the immobiliser won't let the car start. We thought we had a replacement ECU and chip but it turns out that was for a latter car. My first choice now would be to eliminate the immobiliser and in the USA there are companies that do that but I can't find one close in the UK.

IMG_20211117_121739 broad.jpg

IMG_20211117_121922 broad.jpg

The Neville the mechanic who does some agriculture repairs for us has been in hospital and has been off work since September when our JCD lost its steering.  Today he is feeling better and came over to see what is wrong with the JCB. It has always been a brilliant starter but today just would not start, eventually after trying everything else Mrs6C suggested we check for a mouse nest and sure enough there was a monster one. Part of the nest was sucked into the inlet manifold and oil soaked.

We took off the manifold, cleared out the inlet tracts into the head and fired it up, the smoke looked like a steam engine!

The steering is still playing up and the plan is to change the hydraulic filters and see if that solves the problem.

Neville also noticed the o-s lower king pin bearing is completely shot. He asked me when I last did the oil and filter change and under interrogation admitted it was 10 years! He will come back and do a service with diesel filters etc.

Our activities kept the current occupants of the FoD amused for hours this afternoon.

IMG_20211119_141022 broad.jpg

IMG_20211119_141623 broad.jpg

IMG_20211119_142838 broad.jpg

IMG_20211119_141950 broad.jpg

IMG_20211119_145422 broad.jpg

IMG_20211119_145910 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - The mouse who did it is wanted dead or alive!
34 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Mrs6C suggested we check for a mouse nest

they do like the FoD Chod dont they!

in a similar manner, I warned Adam that before conducting any road testing with REV to check her heater ducting system and the chambers around the engine barrels for rodent detritus but he must of either forgot himself, or forgot to tell his mate Jim who im told had a bit of a panic when test driving REV and the cabin suddenly started started filling up with smoke  and he thought REV had caught fire! but it was realised it was just rodent Detritus (that must have built up since the last rodding out at the FoD after she smoked @Ghosty out in the same manner!)

but the important question is did you manage to get the JCB's steering working/figure out why it stopped working? :) EDIT: whoops! I see thats mentioned in the post must have missed it!

Some cloggage was to be expected after the pretty spectacular smoke show it laid on last time it was used*

That was as many revs as it would give. More throttle = more fuel = more smoke,  but ≠ more go

*moved from being completely in the way, to just mostly in the way

3 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Now that's proper clag!

and the best part is, @Six-cylinder could drive it to my house (with @Mrs6C in convoy on the Messy 35) entirely without any charges

yet he would have to pay the ULEZ Emissions charge if he did the same trip in his small and clag free (I presume!), petrol Clio!

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

and the best part is, @Six-cylinder could drive it to my house (with @Mrs6C in convoy on the Messy 35) entirely without any charges

yet he would have to pay the ULEZ Emissions charge if he did the same trip in his small and clag free (I presume!), petrol Clio!

Ha, would probably do more miles on that trip than its done for decades 😂

Be within the vicinity of the m40 (especially the cut through fraggle rock/stokenchurch) and you'd think a steam train was in L1... 

12 hours ago, Crackers said:

Some cloggage was to be expected after the pretty spectacular smoke show it laid on last time it was used*

That was as many revs as it would give. More throttle = more fuel = more smoke,  but ≠ more go

*moved from being completely in the way, to just mostly in the way

Who knew breathing through a mouse nest causes issues!

There should be protesters outside my house!

Once again I have snuffled the best car for myself, in my defence this time it is not from an Autoshite member, but a friend of Mrs6C.

For about a year a friend has been talking about selling his 1973 Saab 95 last on the road over 20 years ago. He said he had a massive amount of spares and the car and spares all had to go in one package. We were hoping the barn would be roofed this summer and the plan was to view the car and if it was saveable then we would have somewhere to put it.

Last week we happened to visit the seller for another reason and got to see the Saab unprepared for sale and wedged in the garage so I could not get close. I was prepared for the 95 to be so rough that I would politely decline to buy it, but I was amassed at what I saw. Paint is a bit flat but the usual rust areas of the windscreen surround, front wing and under the rear wing had been repaired many years ago and are holding up well. Somehow it just looked a wonderful car to me and a deal was done then and there.

The deal included not having to collect the car or spares until the spring so I am hoping next year I can drum up a posse to collect this car and round up the spares from Milton Keynes.

IMG_20211118_145749 broad.jpg

IMG_20211118_142543 broad.jpg

IMG_20211118_144852 broad.jpg

IMG_20211118_145648 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - There should be protesters outside my house because I have done it again!
1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Once again I have snuffled the best car for myself, in my defence this time it is not from an Autoshite member, but a friend of Mrs6C.

For about a year a friend has been talking about selling his 1973 Saab 95 last on the road over 20 years ago. He said he had a massive amount of spares and the car and spares all had to go in one package. We were hoping the barn would be roofed this summer and the plan was to view the car and if he was saveable then we would have somewhere to put it.

Last week we happened to visit the seller for another reason and got to see the Saab unprepared for sale and wedged in the garage so I could not get close. I was prepared for the 95 to be so rough that I would politely decline to buy it, but I was amassed at what I saw. Paint is a bit flat but the usual rust areas of the windscreen surround, front wing and under the rear wing had been repaired many years ago and are holding up well. Somehow it just looked a wonderful car to me and a deal was done then and there.

The deal included not having to collect the car or spares until the spring so I am hoping next year I can drum up a posse to collect this car and round up the spares from Milton Keynes.

Looks cleaner than the working one I spotted Saturday last:

20211113_160952.jpg

15 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

Just the Saab Chris, no Moto Morini?  :D

No fortunately neither the 350 or the 500 are for sale or even the 1955 BSA 500.

The Screws for the Exhaust heat shield on the 350 have snapped off in there exhaust mountings and he is not keen to take the exhaust off because of resealing it. Trouble is there is now a broken easy out in the top one and in spite of a reverse drill that Mrs6C helped him with the lower one did not wind out.

He is looking forward to me getting my Saab out of his garage so the bikes can have pride of place!

IMG_20211118_141618 broad.jpg

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

For about a year a friend has been talking about selling his 1973 Saab 95 last on the road over 20 years ago. He said he had a massive amount of spares and the car and spares all had to go in one package. We were hoping the barn would be roofed this summer and the plan was to view the car and if it was saveable then we would have somewhere to put it.

Oooh thats a lovely old thing! and estate too! and some proper, old money autoshite here, like if the forum existed about 35 years ago!

im curious is this your first V4? :) not long before you have most engine configurations ticked off the list!

very much looking forward to seeing more on it :)

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

if only there was someone who lived in Milton Keynes, who had a large van for carrying things, and had a knack for getting old heaps going *cough* @Zelandeth *cough* :mrgreen:

I mean its MOT exempt! all we need to do is get a Convoy of shite going and just slot in the middle of said Convoy and no one would be none the wiser! :) 

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

if only there was someone who lived in Milton Keynes, who had a large van for carrying things, and had a knack for getting old heaps going

I think the Saab would prefer to stay in its nice warm, dry garage for the rest of the winter and not emerge until we have a roof on our barn!

13 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

I think the Saab would prefer to stay in its nice warm, dry garage for the rest of the winter and not emerge until we have a roof on our barn!

Oh Yeah! I meant for next year, its in reference to the fact @Six-cylinder said next year he is hoping to get a posse together to help unearth it and I know someone who is very good at that! :)