Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

@Zelandeth I'm going to make a small fuel tank to gravity feed the carb between now and the FoD then see if it'll run with the CDi from the black one.

It's lost all its lights for some reason so I was thinking of using the headlight switch as an ignition switch being as the scooters all go to bed before dark at the FoD for noise reasons.

For that reason I was thinking of bringing the electric bike/scooter down as a silent bog run bike (once someone more talented than me has fixed it).

Thanks @Six-cylinder

21 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Where were you planning on sitting?

On a new set of frame rails with all the rear junk and original rails removed. I also planned to move the shock in front of the engine operated via a rocker arm or just an arm. Fuel and oil tanks under the GRP tank with electrics and radiator. Cafe racer up top, Scooter below and a shopping basket where the footboards were for beer.

Todays project was to replace the brake disk on my Peugeot 504 that I slid down the road on when the wheel fell off!

@Andyrew came over to help me and all was going well until we went to put the pads back in and found one of the pistons would not push in. We tried using the brakes thinking if we got it moving then we could work it, but the piston would not come out either. The new disk is 1 mm thicker than the old one so we needed to push the piston back.

The Piston is now off the car and  Andyrew has taken it home to see if he can free it up.

IMG_20220313_145112 broad.jpg

IMG_20220313_163711 broad.jpg

IMG_20220313_164155 broad.jpg

12 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Do these wind back?

No.  You can tell if they need turning at the same time, as the piston will have a cutout notch in it which locates in a tab on the brake pad, stopping it from turning in normal service.

If you've stood on the brakes as hard as possible and the piston still won't move, you're looking at needing a new piston and a caliper refurb kit as a bare minimum... that's if you can get the old piston out somehow.  Heat sometimes helps.  As does a 20T press....

@Six-cylinder - I swore that after missing all the FoD events last year, I’d make my debut at the first opportunity in 2022 - MissAxWomble was all in favour too! Alas, we’re  getting married on the 26th, and generous though she is, I think that would be a step too far 😂😂😂 

27 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

@Six-cylinder - I swore that after missing all the FoD events last year, I’d make my debut at the first opportunity in 2022 - MissAxWomble was all in favour too! Alas, we’re  getting married on the 26th, and generous though she is, I think that would be a step too far 😂😂😂 

Hope you're going to have suitably Autoshite wedding cars! 

47 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

Surely the FOD would be an ideal* place to spend your honeymoon? If you'd given more notice, the six-cylinders might have been able to get the field registered for ceremonies.

4 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Hope you're going to have suitably Autoshite wedding cars! 

I’m travelling in *style in our silver 106 diesel, she is arriving in her dad’s teal-blue MGB GT. We’re departing in our car, complete with ribbons, tins, and whatever rubbish our friends find in the recycling bin that morning…..

53 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

Unbelievably, she has just asked me what time events close on the Sunday, as we aren’t actually going on honeymoon till the following Saturday and don’t have any plans!? Not sure where I found her but hey, this is a good sign! 

I'll have a couple of randoms, if it ever goes that way!

15 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

DE289EFE-B350-4757-BBE3-8F9FDCDEB305.gif

You arranged all that a darn side quicker than we managed it all - I’ll get on the beige phone to the caterers, band, church and photographer and ask if we can have all our money back - surely they’ll all have a 15 month cooling off period? 😂😂😂😂

21 minutes ago, Crackers said:

EFA.

I don't think a 2CV is shite enough for an AS wedding!

I’m planning on tarting up the 106’s wheels for the occasion, binning the plastic wheel trims in favour of some silver rattle can work and black centre caps. Still suitably AS I reckon! 

43 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

You arranged all that a darn side quicker than we managed it all - I’ll get on the beige phone to the caterers, band, church and photographer and ask if we can have all our money back - surely they’ll all have a 15 month cooling off period? 😂😂😂😂

I’ve done a few weddings now with the 2cv and it’s both fun and an enormous pain.  

22 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Do these wind back?

The rears have to be treated very delicately as the ratchets mechanisms are not available. With the pads removed, the piston has to be turned 45° to push it back then turned 45° to re-engage the ratchet.

I rebuilt a set recently, they are also fitted to De Tomaso and AC Cobra MkIV. 

20 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

The rears have to be treated very delicately as the ratchets mechanisms are not available. With the pads removed, the piston has to be turned 45° to push it back then turned 45° to re-engage the ratchet.

I rebuilt a set recently, they are also fitted to De Tomaso and AC Cobra MkIV. 

Is that to do with the handbrake?

P1070193 broad.jpg